• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Complete New Adventure Run, At Long Last
10 10

162 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2024 at 7:30 AM, RareHighGrade said:

This pristine Church copy of issue #26 is the jewel of my collection.  One of the things that makes it unique is the name written in the upper left-hand corner of the cover.  Of the 18,000 books in Edgar Church’s collection, only around 10 have the name “Church” written on the cover.  One of the other books sharing this rare distinction:  Edgar’s copy of Action Comics #1.

Along with its terrific cover, the issue also includes an ad for Action Comics #1.

#26 is renowned for its rarity.  As anyone who frequented the CGC Boards in the mid-2000’s will remember, it was Ian Levine’s White Whale, eluding him for years until it became the very last issue he needed to complete his collection of all DC books ever published.

NewAdv.26(MH).JPG

Do you know the rhyme or reason for the "church" names on the 10 covers?  All from the same month?  Just curious. 

On 4/6/2024 at 4:58 PM, RareHighGrade said:

It has been a decades-long goal of mine to complete the run of New Adventure Comics, which most seasoned collectors agree is the most challenging series of DC books.  This 20-book run includes numerous classic covers by my favorite Golden Age artist, Creig Flessel, as well as interior work by the likes of Siegel and Shuster, Leo O’Mealia, Fred Guardineer and Bob Kane (before Batman).

My quest started in the 1990’s, when I ran monthly want ads in the Comic Book Marketplace magazine offering to purchase any of these books.  How many responses did I get?  Not even one!  So I had to do it the hard way – picking up, at most, a copy or two a year from dealers, fellow collectors or auctions.  Although I was able to complete most of the run after a couple of decades of effort, one issue continued to elude me.  Until now.  

Having finally completed the set, I plan to post the books in sequential order in this thread.

I'm late to the party but I'll add my cheers to this accomplishment. Completing just about any GA run is tough but this is an order of magnitude more difficult than most! Congratulations! :yeehaw:

Edited by Badger
typos. so many typos.

On 4/12/2024 at 3:51 PM, adamstrange said:

Speaking as someone who owns some, Church Timely's are spectacular. 

I am among the lucky few who have seen many of these New Adv comics in person (thank you, RHG (worship) ). 

It is difficult to convey how disconcerting and delightful it is to look at a comic book that you know is more than 80 years old but that looks like it was printed yesterday.

Awesome.   May I ask which ones you own?   I thought the whole run was with the Verzyl's. 

On 4/11/2024 at 9:05 AM, RareHighGrade said:

Issue #28 is another very tough book, with only 8 Universal copies in the census.  It has a great cover depicting armed pirates taking over a vessel.  The captain’s distressed look is understandable, given that his undersized billy club is likely to prove ineffective against his assailants’ swords and guns.  If you look closely, you can see Flessel’s signature subtly hidden along the ropes. 

This non-pedigree CGC 9.0 copy tops the census.  No one has seen a Church copy.

NewAdv.28(9.0).jpg

that pirate bottom right is one of the most evil looking guys i ever seen !!

On 4/12/2024 at 7:11 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I appreciate all of the kind comments made by everyone throughout the course of this thread; they have made my completion of the run even more satisfying.  I'll finish by noting that, starting with issue #32, the title dropped “New” and became simply “Adventure Comics,” which is the title that remained until the series ended in 1983 with issue #503.  Creig Flessel's classic shark/raft battle cover was an awesome way to introduce the new title.  

Adv.32(MH).jpg

:applause:Sweet bonus and killer thread! Thank you for sharing these awesome books  with us, cool experience

Edited by sagii

Peter such a wonderful and beautiful run, many thanks for sharing with us.

As a side note, am I the only one who looked at the pictures of the Church Adventure #s 26, 29, and 30 and imagined the copies of Action #1, 3, and 4 sitting in the original stacks next to them and in similar conditions?

Thank you for sharing.  Truly a one of a kind.  

As far as "value" as RareHighGrade noted issue #15 only has 5 registered copies (only 3 universal) which makes it the least common in the run. 

Based on CGC census the other 4 "rarest" would be issues 25-28.

25 8 universal 1 Qualified 3 restored TOTAL 12

26 7 universal 0 Qualified 2 restored TOTAL 9

27 11 universal 2 qualified 1 restored TOTAL 14

28 8 universal 0 qualified 2 restored TOTAL 10

Sale prices on 26 and 27 have historically been higher than 25 and 28 despite similar (extremely low) census numbers.

The question is are issues 15, 25 and 28 "undervalued" or are 26 and 27 "over valued"?

On 4/12/2024 at 4:11 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I appreciate all of the kind comments made by everyone throughout the course of this thread; they have made my completion of the run even more satisfying.  I'll finish by noting that, starting with issue #32, the title dropped “New” and became simply “Adventure Comics,” which is the title that remained until the series ended in 1983 with issue #503.  Creig Flessel's classic shark/raft battle cover was an awesome way to introduce the new title.  

Adv.32(MH).jpg

Any plans to continue the run up to maybe #40 when the Sandman appears? So many cool covers there as well.

Thanks for posting these as a run and letting us live vicariously through you!