• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corner grading?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I don't have any professionally graded comics yet; I'm selecting ones for my first submission currently.

Since I don't have many candidates for high grades, I don't have anything to compare at the level of detail I'm inspecting at.

Which brings me to my question... note these pictures are through a 30x glass, and there is a mm tape measure for scale.

How much would these knock me down?  Obviously with the book in question, it doesn't take much to knock it down to not worth submitting...

20240406_174803.jpg

20240406_175054.jpg

20240406_175830.jpg

On 4/6/2024 at 3:15 PM, SpectralMonk said:

I don't have any professionally graded comics yet; I'm selecting ones for my first submission currently.

Since I don't have many candidates for high grades, I don't have anything to compare at the level of detail I'm inspecting at.

Which brings me to my question... note these pictures are through a 30x glass, and there is a mm tape measure for scale.

How much would these knock me down?  Obviously with the book in question, it doesn't take much to knock it down to not worth submitting...

20240406_174803.jpg

20240406_175054.jpg

20240406_175830.jpg

You will usually get away with minor damage to the spine corners as that is usually attributed to production bindery damage.  The damage on these spine corners is probably more than minor, though.  The smallest crease you can see with the naked eye on the right corners will usually knock you down to at best a 9.6.  You don't have close-ups of those but it looks like there is some damage there as well.  So I agree it is probably not worth grading.

Books are graded in their entirety, the wording used in the grading standards creates a lot of gray areas and is open to individual interpretation, for future reference, on corners only...

NM+ 9.6 - One corner may be almost imperceptibly blunted, but still almost sharp and cut square.

NM 9.4 - Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted.

NM- 9.2 - Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. 

VF/NM 9.0 - Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted but no creases.

VF 8.0 - Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners.

FN/VF 7.0 - Corners may be blunted.

FN 6.0 - Blunted corners are more common, 

On 4/6/2024 at 10:07 PM, William-James88 said:

Yup, as others said, not worth grading. This could knock the book down to a 9.2

And there is also the condition of the hologram. Even bagged and boarded, rubbing against the comic in front of it in a long box for years would result in faint surface scratches.