• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Identifying This Havok Hologram

5 posts in this topic

I'm trying to identify what this specific hologram was used for. It was advertised from the seller as a vending machine sticker. I have a pretty decent sized vending machine sticker collection, and I really don't think this was a vending machine sticker. The back (sticky part) of the hologram is black and the paper backing is not cut evenly. I've seen others of these online, so it's not a one-off.

Does anyone know what this was used for or where it came from?

image.thumb.jpeg.c4961a43feaf406401f2d6091856a5b2.jpeg

While it's the same hologram used elsewhere, the sample above does not appear to have simply been pealed off or cut out from one of these items:

image.jpeg.9abef14403920e2a2541198b76d5a77c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.742b7d74d52d6e7df8d98ea4f94f34b1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.06806fe4245bed07ac0582d20d7cdda7.jpeg

An auction house in Utah sold these two years ago. They were told the items came from a defunct vending machine company.  I won two dozen and sold them at the Bisbee farmers market.  I couldn't find anything about them online. They were offered in three lots. I won two, and my friend in Buckeye won the other.  

Most of mine were miscut, which made me think someone kept the pieces that were culled as imperfect.  

On 4/7/2024 at 9:24 AM, shadroch said:

An auction house in Utah sold these two years ago. They were told the items came from a defunct vending machine company.  I won two dozen and sold them at the Bisbee farmers market.  I couldn't find anything about them online. They were offered in three lots. I won two, and my friend in Buckeye won the other.  

Most of mine were miscut, which made me think someone kept the pieces that were culled as imperfect.  

Thanks for the reply. That's interesting. They were advertised online as vending machine stickers, so that's consistent. I'm really curious why the vending machine company would use Havok and not any other characters (at least not that I've seen). And it looks like the exact same hologram used on the comic. I wonder if the vending machine company bought overstock printed stickers from the manufacturer that made the stickers for the comics, then decided to chop them up for vending machines.

On 4/7/2024 at 11:37 AM, srezvan said:

And it looks like the exact same hologram used on the comic. I wonder if the vending machine company bought overstock printed stickers from the manufacturer that made the stickers for the comics, then decided to chop them up for vending machines.

The image looks very similar, but I don't think it's the same.  While the pose is identical, there are small differences. 

image.png.0eb81b4ce8679035214ca8b3e8302195.png

The one on the left is your vending machine sticker.  The one on the right is from the X-Factor 92.

The head looks more directly forward in the XF92.
The hair is more spikey and detailed on your sticker.
Havok's left leg seems more defined with a lower band on your sticker.

There are other slight differences, but seeing as these are holograms, maybe the difference is simply the angles we're dealing with.

Regardless, I love seeing this type of comic ephemera.  Very cool!

On 4/7/2024 at 3:06 PM, masterlogan2000 said:

The image looks very similar, but I don't think it's the same.  While the pose is identical, there are small differences. 

image.png.0eb81b4ce8679035214ca8b3e8302195.png

The one on the left is your vending machine sticker.  The one on the right is from the X-Factor 92.

The head looks more directly forward in the XF92.
The hair is more spikey and detailed on your sticker.
Havok's left leg seems more defined with a lower band on your sticker.

There are other slight differences, but seeing as these are holograms, maybe the difference is simply the angles we're dealing with.

Regardless, I love seeing this type of comic ephemera.  Very cool!

You are absolutely right. They are similar, but different. Turns out, I didn't own the Havok hologram on the black backing (30th anniversary promo), so I bought it off eBay. Here's a pic of the 30th anniversary item (left) next to the sticker (right). They are indeed different. The sticker looks like the X-Factor 92 hologram. The 30th anniversary promo hologram was sent for free to LCSs (I was able to find a letter from Marvel describing it).

So after Marvel used the hologram for X-Factor 92 and the promo for the 30th anniversary, a vending machine company gets a hold of or creates a similar but different hologram...but doesn't use the more popular characters like Wolverine or Magneto. Very curious. We'll probably never know exactly why this came to be, but I do love this stuff.

20240413_111926.jpg