• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can CGC weigh in and let us know when this Omega deal is over and when grading times go back to normal?
2 2

23 posts in this topic

On 5/28/2024 at 5:21 PM, darkstar said:

Well for starters you could look at this forum and see how unpopular it is in regards to trading cards. Or you could look at market data and see CGC slabs continue to fetch lower prices than the market leaders. The whole deal with Omega is doing nothing but giving them an increase in their total submissions per month number that they can cite on their social media while the rest of their customer base halts their submissions due to the impact on turnaround times. They also continue to publicly ingratiate themselves with social media influencers and dealers, apparently unaware of the giant conflict of interest issues that go along with that. They changed their grading scale after their product already launched and their labels were godawful. Whomever was put in charge of their card grading endeavor couldn't have possibly done a worse job. 

How is this forum any proof of CGC being unpopular? Just because a lot of people complain on here you mean or that there just aren't many posters? I do note that there's not as much activity in the trading card section as there is for the comic section but once again this is a relatively new company (the other main competition is over 30 years old, right, so they have an edge as far as history goes due to that fact). In about 10 years if it's still this 'still' around here then I can see it being an issue.

Regarding the market data, that is correct based on my own research. However, I am happy about that because it helps me get the cards I collect for much cheaper (plus the slabs look so much nicer). Are the labels you are talking about the blue ones? I haven't seen another so I'm not sure what god awful label you're talking about because I prefer the black labels AND old blue labels over the red blah PSA ones any day (but again I was a CGC comic collector first so that may make me biased since the old card labels are pretty much equivalent to the comic labels). Side to side the PSA slabs compared to the new (or in my opinion old) CGC one there is just no comparison when it comes to eye appeal.

Like you, I am not into the Omega thing (at least you give me the impression you're not, either) but exactly how is it a bad business strategy if it is giving them an increase in submissions? Isn't that good for a business - to have more business? Not good for us collectors to increase TaT's but good for the company, right? In fairness, though, I would prefer the TaT's be faster since I need to make a few submissions of my own here soon lol.

I agree that the relationship with dealers is a conflict of interest - only if it is determined that they are given gift grades - but without proof of that it's just speculation and one could easily surmise a dealer would be a big supplier of a grading company since they deal in the same product the grading company grades...that's just common sense. And what company wouldn't use social media to influence it's target audience? All companies that care about staying around do this...and I'm surprised CGC hasn't made it to TikTok yet lol. It may be annoying, but it's the 21st century and to stay relevant a social media presence is needed (and I like finding out news that I was unaware about online so this to me is a no brainer and isn't a conflict of interest).

I do agree about changing the grading scale AFTER launching, though...thankfully I wasn't a big part of that as I primarily started collecting around the time that hit but I understand how collectors would be more than unhappy about it. New company to the card grading game will come with some hiccups, though...even if they're annoying at times.

On 6/6/2024 at 8:19 AM, Poké-Oh! TCG said:

Will never change and will never receive a statement. Omega has nothing to do with it, this has been going on since the label change a year ago.

That's the thing. It does have ALOT to do with Omega. The person that runs Omega got insider info from CGC that the grading changes were coming and Omega started buying up all the cgc 9.5s at low cost to get them converted to 10s for their mystery boxes way BEFORE CGC made a public announcement. This is not including all the 10k+ "junk" cards they also get graded. 

Then there is the secret partnership with that virtual slab vending machine scam they also got going on... Like Mr crabs on spongebob says, money money money money money....