• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions June 20-23 Auction is unreal !
2 2

287 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2024 at 2:09 PM, Professor K said:

I don't know a whole bunch about OA. If you could, what types of things would an asterisk refer to? 

Jim fulfilling guarantees out of his own pocket when the market won't bail him out by bidding higher.

On 6/21/2024 at 11:43 AM, batman_fan said:

Romita Kingpin page at $216k :whatthe:

Wasn't Burkey the owner of that page? if so, takes care of the remaining amount of that Ditko Spidey pin-up. 

On 6/21/2024 at 2:05 PM, vodou said:

Oh yeah $840k...finally an excellent true comic art result without any kind of asterisk.

On 6/21/2024 at 2:09 PM, Professor K said:

I don't know a whole bunch about OA. If you could, what types of things would an asterisk refer to? 

On 6/21/2024 at 2:11 PM, cstojano said:

I am guessing something like a a single bid at a very high artificial opening juiced by the house bidding on behalf of the consignor up to 1 increment below the reserve, thus giving the impression of bidding action when none exists. Tune in to Prop Store's auctions to see this in action.

On 6/21/2024 at 2:13 PM, vodou said:

Jim fulfilling guarantees out of his own pocket when the market won't bail him out by bidding higher.

Oh ok. I thought it meant the artist was on imagination enchancing drugs when they created it. 

Edited by Professor K
spelling corrections

On 6/21/2024 at 12:29 PM, delekkerste said:

Everyone is flush these days. IMO, there's no reason to believe that prices will be anything but steroidal in this market unless/until something changes for the worse in the bigger picture. 

Prices are positively steroidal so far. I had my eye on a couple of things today but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get blown out of the water and I will be left fighting for scraps in Sunday's robo-session.

On 6/21/2024 at 1:05 PM, vodou said:

...finally an excellent true comic art result without any kind of asterisk.

Sorta like the 2017 vs. 2022 World Series?

On 6/21/2024 at 4:26 PM, westform said:

Snoopy seemed to do well…

I really wanted the Lucy/Snoopy piece from 1958 but it was pretty strong

The 1956 Sunday went for a lot more than the last time it auctioned

I am now thinking I should have bid more on the 1953 Snoopy one.  Price seems cheap in retrospect 

This was a fun auction to watch!  I felt like someone got a pretty reasonable deal on that X-Men #129 page, but I get that one wasn't for the masses. 

There could be some Sandman fatigue with all the stunning material that has become available to the public in recent years. Sandman #10, Page 12 (Corinthian First Appearance), selling for $24,000, and Sandman #17, Page 17 (Calliope storyline feature in Netflix), selling for $26,400, are solid acquisitions at that price point. I had them between $30K-$40K. Congrats to the buyer.

Wow, some stunning results today. Did anyone else see the Wolverine #7 cover hammering at $144K? I sure didn't. The Karma tax in full effect :jokealert:

was also surprised by the Manara Savage Wolverine Shanna the She-Devil variant cover going for $60k! Someone really wanted that one ...

I was outbid on every one of the pieces I bid on ... except the Saviuk black costume Spidey splash. was happy to land that one. Hoping 1 or 2 things fall through the cracks on Sunday, but not too optimistic. 

Thought the WATCHMEN and V pages went for fair prices. If you're a Moore fan and had both on your want list, you could have gotten two one-and-done examples for around $100K. That's not bad at all these days for those.

The BORN AGAIN page finished high IMO. But the Artist's Edition of YEAR ONE is coming out soon, and that might just kick up interest in Mazz/Miller art up another notch. Probably better to secure this now.