• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've got a X-men #1E signed by Jim Lee, how do I submit it for grading?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I've got a signed copy of X-men #1E that us signed by Jim Lee. I personally think it's in good enough condition to hopefully get above a 7 or 8. I'm asking here if there's anything specific I need to do to get it graded if it's something that is signed. This is mainly because it's my first time doing so and I don't want things to go wrong.

If someone could possibly help and let me know how I should go about submitting this, that'd be greatly appreciated.

20240409_115118.jpg

20240409_115123.jpg

Today, CGC doesn't do signature verification. So even with a COA, it's still an unwitnessed signature and would get either a lower graded blue label or a green label. 

However - that is changing. I don't remember the date but @CGC Mike has shared plans to start verifying signatures. 

It may make sense to wait a few months. 

• Administrator
On 4/9/2024 at 7:51 AM, KCOComics said:

Today, CGC doesn't do signature verification. So even with a COA, it's still an unwitnessed signature and would get either a lower graded blue label or a green label. 

However - that is changing. I don't remember the date but @CGC Mike has shared plans to start verifying signatures. 

It may make sense to wait a few months. 

FAQs

When can I submit my comics and magazines with autographs for JSA authentication and CGC Comics grading and encapsulation?

We expect to start accepting autographed comics and magazines for combined JSA and CGC certification in April. An announcement will be made when these services are available.

Thank you very much for the advice that everyone submitted. I've taken it on board and therefore will wait until April or later before I consider grading it. 

Even though I know its authentic, I understand there's no way to prove that since there was no witness in 1991 when it was probably signed. But if that does change, I will hopefully be able to have it graded as its 1 of 100 signed.

Lastly, @DougC thank you for the feedback, but I'm not very involved so honestly have no clue what that means. If there's a way to explain it but dumbed down, that'd be appreciated also, but if not, no worries.

Again. Thanks to everyone who gave advice on what to do. I really appreciate it.

On 4/9/2024 at 5:46 PM, Ben Stinchcombe said:

Thank you very much for the advice that everyone submitted. I've taken it on board and therefore will wait until April or later before I consider grading it. 

Even though I know its authentic, I understand there's no way to prove that since there was no witness in 1991 when it was probably signed. But if that does change, I will hopefully be able to have it graded as its 1 of 100 signed.

Lastly, @DougC thank you for the feedback, but I'm not very involved so honestly have no clue what that means. If there's a way to explain it but dumbed down, that'd be appreciated also, but if not, no worries.

Again. Thanks to everyone who gave advice on what to do. I really appreciate it.

Depending on how much the JSA authentication, grading fee's, and shipping it is very possible that you can buy one that has already been graded for a cheaper price.

"IF" you do send this book in (after the announcement) it will only reflect that it was signed not any notation about 1 of 100. There have been thousands of this book signed over the last 30 years so the CoA stating your book is 21 or 100 (signed at that store only) will not add value.

On 4/10/2024 at 1:03 AM, DougC said:

Depending on how much the JSA authentication, grading fee's, and shipping it is very possible that you can buy one that has already been graded for a cheaper price.

"IF" you do send this book in (after the announcement) it will only reflect that it was signed not any notation about 1 of 100. There have been thousands of this book signed over the last 30 years so the CoA stating your book is 21 or 100 (signed at that store only) will not add value.

Thank you very much for clarifying that.