• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy cr@p sales of the week
1 1

29 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2024 at 1:59 PM, buttock said:

Collecting high-grade 50s books is really strange.  The nicest copy in existence could be a 7.5, but the old collectors have no incentive to slab so you'll never know.  There were just a handful of exceptionally nice DCs that went through the weekly and this signature auction that were evidently from 5 different sources (what are the odds?).  Most of those issues had never been available in those grades publicly.  We're now talking 24 years of CGC, GPA, Heritage archives, etc.  And it's taken this long for an 8.0 or 9.0 to hit the market.  But if it sells for $4300 and now the guy who owns the WM copy gets a 9.2 and you're hosed... but it's been over 20 years of waiting!  Do you wait for that one to come out... if it ever does?  And if it does, will it now go for twice that?  

I will have to check my old records, but I slabbed and sold a ton of high grade squarebound SA DCs in 2011 and 2012 out of an OO collection. They went through CLink. Pretty sure that Rock was one of then. It went for just a BIT less than $8k. Lol

On 4/11/2024 at 1:23 PM, october said:

I will have to check my old records, but I slabbed and sold a ton of high grade squarebound SA DCs in 2011 and 2012 out of an OO collection. They went through CLink. Pretty sure that Rock was one of then. It went for just a BIT less than $8k. Lol

The DC squarebounds went nuts this round.  

On 4/11/2024 at 1:51 PM, Silver said:

I did not bid on the 1963 Rudolph because I think the colors on my copy are the very best I have ever seen. This scan has not been adjusted, those greens and reds are just awesome. The Heritage copy looks lackluster in comparison. 

pic104.jpg

I agree. Yours is the nicer copy.

(thumbsu

On 4/11/2024 at 2:03 PM, Silver said:

I believe every book being mentioned is sole census highest. Which is insane. One person grades a Frontier Fighters 8 in 8.5 and poof, there goes your $4,300.

I wonder if there are "Highest Graded Copy" collectors regardless of genre, publisher or issue? ??? I would regard such an inclination to be bizarre, but it would explain the high prices fetched by some of these comics.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 4/12/2024 at 4:12 AM, buttock said:

The DC squarebounds went nuts this round.  

Which was surprising because they've been kind of dead for a while.

On 4/12/2024 at 3:23 AM, october said:

Pretty sure that Rock was one of then. It went for just a BIT less than $8k. Lol

So even though people were a bit surprised by this recent price, you're saying that the consignor may have actually taken a hair cut, particularly after Heritage's fees?  Wow. 

On 4/11/2024 at 3:12 PM, Hepcat said:

Well I guess we can't blame silly speculative demand arising from movie hype in these instances.

:/

You haven't heard of the "Rudolph, The Red Nosed Reindeer" movie? I found it quite stimulating. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu