• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC graded Pulps - my first experience and results.
2 2

29 posts in this topic

Thanks for your observations. Glad it has been a favorable experience.

I submitted my first ever submissions to CGC at WonderCon on 3/29. Two pulps in Vintage and one in High Value all on one form. About all I can tell yet is they charged my card. The High Value one supposedly is less time than the Vintage ones. Not sure if I can track them through the process. Also not sure if they will be returned to me as a group of 3 as submitted or multiple deliveries.

My only concern so far is that there was no “Notes” area on the form. One is a Yakima ped with a copy of the COA in the back of the backing board. The other is a file copy printout from the major dealer I purchased it from. I would have like to note it and “flag” them when the books arrived. Just crossing my fingers.

Being a long time GA collector, I have learned the concept of patience. So I guess I will just have to be optimistically excited. As far as grades go, I have no idea what I will get since pulps are so much different than comics.

• Administrator
On 4/11/2024 at 8:02 PM, Robot Man said:

My only concern so far is that there was no “Notes” area on the form. One is a Yakima ped with a copy of the COA in the back of the backing board. The other is a file copy printout from the major dealer I purchased it from. I would have like to note it and “flag” them when the books arrived. Just crossing my fingers.

For future reference, you can hand write notes on the packing slip.

On 4/12/2024 at 6:29 AM, Hibou said:

The total turn around time from the point of me sending these out on Monday morning, March 18th to me receiving them back on Saturday, April 6th was only 19 total days!

:whatthe: Don't tell the comic book submittors, as they're liable to go ballistic if they hear this!

Seriously though, that's great and congratulations.  CGC are clearly prioritizing this new line of business and putting resources behind it to make it successful.  As they say, you only get one chance to make a good first impression.

On 4/12/2024 at 5:23 AM, jimjum12 said:

This is because they're so scarce and rare. ... not many to grade. There's probably only a few hundred left in the entire world. That's what makes them so much like graded video games. :insane: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

There are way more than a few hundred left in the world. But yes, much more rare. Sometimes the copy in front of you is likely the only chance you will have to ever own it. Others, seem to turn up on a fairly regular basis. Just gotta trust your gut and experience. 

On 4/12/2024 at 11:37 AM, Robot Man said:

There are way more than a few hundred left in the world. But yes, much more rare. Sometimes the copy in front of you is likely the only chance you will have to ever own it. Others, seem to turn up on a fairly regular basis. Just gotta trust your gut and experience. 

It was meant in the spirit of sarcasm. One thing different with pulps and comics is that an abundance of copies may mean unsold ( ... and unpopular) with comics, whereas with pulps, it's the more popular stuff, usually, that remains. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

I do like that CGC is giving them consecutive numbers, like comic books. It's good to know at a glance that the October 1, 1936, issue of The Shadow is #111, rather than "Volume 19, Number 3," which is a now-meaningless jumble of numbers. 

On 4/11/2024 at 6:29 PM, Hibou said:

My only true disappointment though is that there was no notation on the issue #113 (Nov.1, 1936) of Detective Comics #27. 

That would have been the ultimate icing on the cake! :)

I did mention this to the powers that be...pretty noteworthy stuff...  :gossip:

yeh Bob on the Submissions tracking page, click on the Submission link and then click on the Line Item link and it brings you to the Verify Cert page with the grader's notes and the scans

On 4/22/2024 at 8:23 PM, The Lions Den said:

I did mention this to the powers that be...pretty noteworthy stuff...  :gossip:

Was there any response on that?

On 4/23/2024 at 9:10 AM, Dr. Love said:

yeh Bob on the Submissions tracking page, click on the Submission link and then click on the Line Item link and it brings you to the Verify Cert page with the grader's notes and the scans

Thanks Andy. I got through and was able to see the graders notes but there is no scan. Maybe they haven’t posted it yet? Or maybe I have to pay extra for it? I did check the census page and my copy is not listed yet. I’m a GA collector. One thing I have learned is patience…