• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC graded Pulps - my first experience and results.
2 2

35 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2024 at 10:45 AM, Robot Man said:

Thanks Andy. I got through and was able to see the graders notes but there is no scan. Maybe they haven’t posted it yet? Or maybe I have to pay extra for it? I did check the census page and my copy is not listed yet. I’m a GA collector. One thing I have learned is patience…

There was a time when the associated scanned image, front and back, was an additional $5. Not sure about current policy. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 4/24/2024 at 4:44 PM, jimjum12 said:

There was a time when the associated scanned image, front and back, was an additional $5. Not sure about current policy. GOD BLESS ...

From what I understand, for several months CGC has been providing high resolution scans of graded books beneath the grading notes...  (thumbsu

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2024 at 4:44 PM, jimjum12 said:

I'll have to check to see if I was charged or not...

Edited by Hibou

On 4/25/2024 at 1:35 PM, Robot Man said:

Well my first eagle has landed. My first submission to CGC. I dropped this off at WonderCon on 3/29 and got it today. Quicker than I expected. Came back a little better than I expected. I had it at 7.0 so I guess my grading skills aren’t too bad. This slab is THICK! I will have to add on to the comic room if I keep doing this. Now, I wait for my two “value” submissions…

Image.jpeg

Image 1.jpeg

Wow, beautiful cover and copy.  :applause: How thick is the slab exactly?

Great color on that Double Detective.

I wonder if people will tend towards experimenting with grading with their most valuable books or the ones in peak shape?

I can't imagine that out of all my many boxes I've got very many that would hit 7.5, and most of those would be girlie pulps that are saddle-stitched with no overhang.

I'm curious what the other ones you've submitted are :D

On 4/25/2024 at 1:35 PM, Robot Man said:

Well my first eagle has landed. My first submission to CGC. I dropped this off at WonderCon on 3/29 and got it today. Quicker than I expected. Came back a little better than I expected. I had it at 7.0 so I guess my grading skills aren’t too bad. This slab is THICK! I will have to add on to the comic room if I keep doing this. Now, I wait for my two “value” submissions…

Image.jpeg

Image 1.jpeg

Stunning!  That's a great cover... gorgeous colors.

On 5/4/2024 at 10:39 AM, Robot Man said:

This one also moves around in the slab due to the thickness. I contacted CGC and they noted that the process is new and they are working out the kinks. [...]

Cool, cool. No hurry.  :eek:

On 5/4/2024 at 9:39 AM, Robot Man said:

Got my second submission. Very happy with it. Also came back a bit better than I expected. Got it from Dave Smith years ago. My best grade Yakima. How often do you see white pages on a pulp?

This one also moves around in the slab due to the thickness. I contacted CGC and they noted that the process is new and they are working out the kinks. I suggested putting the thinner ones in a comic slab. :wishluck:

Image.jpeg

IMG_8822.jpeg

8.5, wow!  Looks great to me, being a Yakima probably doesn't hurt in getting a nice grade ;)

Gloria Stoll Karn is interesting as a woman painter in a field dominated by men (not to mention she's got some excellent covers with many underappreciated ones in the love pulps).  I think (?) the family site that was up has migrated most of the bio info here:

https://www.illustrationhistory.org/artists/gloria-stoll-karn

and her pulp wiki (nice gallery of her more famous covers here)

http://www.pulpartists.com/Stoll.html

On 5/4/2024 at 7:39 AM, Robot Man said:

Got my second submission. Very happy with it. Also came back a bit better than I expected. Got it from Dave Smith years ago. My best grade Yakima. How often do you see white pages on a pulp?

This one also moves around in the slab due to the thickness. I contacted CGC and they noted that the process is new and they are working out the kinks. I suggested putting the thinner ones in a comic slab. :wishluck:

Image.jpeg

IMG_8822.jpeg

Was chatting with a comic shop owner today about yakimas.  Said he bought half the books, and sold most, but still has some nicer ones buried away in his attic (late 30s).  Sadly not interested in selling 😞