• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Humidity damaged ASM #2 -- I need your help!
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I was looking at my copy of Amazing Spider-Man #2 today and noticed that it appears to have some humidity damage. I'm pretty sure this damage occurred after the comic was slabbed, but before I purchased it. 

The damage is very hard to photograph, but I've done the best I can. Anywhere you see lines of reflected light are places where the comic has become "wavy" due to moisture. 

It's wayyyyy too late for me to get a refund or anything like that. So I would love some advice from you experts on what makes the most sense to do next.

Should I:
1) Send it to CGC to have it pressed, re-graded, and re-slabbed (note that there are no dropoff opportunities anywhere near me, so this will have to be done through the mail)

2) Do #1 AND see if they can remove the restoration--which I don't know anything about, I bought it like this and the seller didn't provide further info

3) Remove it from the slab myself and cut my losses

4) Something else entirely

Any help or advice you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Grant

ASM2_1.jpg

ASM2_2.jpg

ASM2_3.jpg

ASM2_4.jpg

ASM2_5.jpg

ASM2_15.jpg

It's likely a small amount of color touch can be removed without reducing a 2.5 grade. If I was mine, I would probably give it a go using a credible third party presser. There's not a lot of downside on trying with a PLOD 2.5. 

On 4/11/2024 at 11:16 PM, rockgrant said:

4) Something else entirely

I wouldn't spend another dime on it. What if somebody put tape ON TOP of some the color touch?

It's a nice looking copy, don't make it worse.

There's a lot of variables involved, and many depend on your personal preferences. Is this a keeper or a book you intend to sell? If you're keeping it, how much do these defects bug you? It may make more sense to sell it as is and buy another copy. The tape and color touch would bother me more than the waviness. If you plan to sell it, I'd leave it as is.

Slight color touch may not be as slight as you think. Many times the way to remove CT is to scrape it off which can have hideous results, but some people prefer to have a Blue Label with ugly scraping rather than a Purple that presents better. The red area under "Man" looks blotchy in the photos. If that's where the CT is and if they can remove it, it won't be pretty when they're done.

Mainly because I've seen slabs before that were damaged by humidity and this is exactly how they look. Also I don't feel like the book should be a 2.5. The water damage is so hard to photograph, but if you could see it, I think you'd agree the book is more like a 1.8.

Appreciate the advice so far, but the main thing I'm asking is should I get it pressed and re-slabbed. Removing the restoration is a much smaller concern.

Thanks agian,

Graht

Cool comic book!  For what it's worth, i don't think this is water damage.  If it was, you'd likely have color bleed and/or mold present, and tide lines in the paper, none of which you seem to have.  I think the waves are created by the tape on the entirety of the spine.  Paper moves, expands and contracts.  Tape doesn't, or at least not as much as paper does.  If the spine is fixed in place and the rest of the page expands, then these waves develop.  Can happen even if the tape was applied perfectly, and chances are it wasn't.

So i think the tape needs to be removed if you want the waves gone.

Best option if you want to invest in this book is send it to a pro that does restoration removal, have them remove the tape and color touch, and conserve the book.  If you aren't up for that investment, sell and use the proceeds toward a better book.  Good luck and let us know what route you go!

I don't see any moisture damage as well.  Most collectors will be put off more by the tape and color touch than whatever you are seeing that suggests moisture damage. Like Paul's comments above, I believe what you are seeing is a result of the tape on the spine. The tape is plastic. the rest of the book is paper. Some puckering can occur. 

I would suggest leaving it as is. If you want to try to improve, then your #2 is the best option. Restoration removal by CCS requires screening (screening is optional for pressing) . So send it in -  pay for screening -  and then CCS will tell you if restoration removal and/or pressing is likely to be beneficial. (not guaranteed - but likely) Once you have their expert, in hand opinion you can make a better decision.