• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any key issues of Savage Sword of Conan other than #1 (or possibly #2)?
2 2

17 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2024 at 4:48 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Think "Boris covers" and you'll do just fine.

Did Frazetta do any or they were just elevated in price when Boris did them?

On 4/12/2024 at 1:56 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Did Frazetta do any or they were just elevated in price when Boris did them?

As far as I know the only Frazetta cover for Marvel was Epic Illustrated #1

As far as value, some of the very late issues are commanding a premium these days since they're relatively scarce, but not necessarily huge.

On 4/12/2024 at 2:44 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I've got a ton of these damn things and don't have time to fully research each issue.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

My quick and easy search for value is 

https://www.keycollectorcomics.com/series/savage-sword-of-conan,6627/?groupBy=issue&orderBy=publishedDate

Neal's work in Savage Sword

Art        Marvel    Savage Sword of Conan    1         Inker    Aug-74    
   Cover        Marvel    Savage Sword of Conan    2         Artist    Oct-74    
        Art        Marvel    Savage Sword of Conan    3         art assist    Dec-74    assist Gil Kane on The Testing of Blackmark
        Art        Marvel    Savage Sword of Conan    4         art assist    Feb-75    assist Gil Kane on "Blackmark Triumphant"
        Art        Marvel    Savage Sword of Conan    14       Penciller    Sep-76    pecils and ink on "Shadows in Zamboula"
        Art        Marvel    Savage Sword of Conan    29       inks    May-78    inks Pin up of Red Sonja
        Art-illo   Marvel    Savage Sword of Conan    40       illos    May-79    "The (Almost) Forgotten Tales of Conan (2 illos from Power Records)
        Art-illo   Marvel    Savage Sword of Conan    45       illos    Oct-79    Maybe
        Art-illo   Marvel    Savage Sword of Conan    49       illos    Feb-80    reprinted illustrations
        Art        Marvel    Savage Sword of Conan    54        art    Jul-80    frontispiece
        Art        Marvel    Savage Sword of Conan    60        art    Jan-81    20 pages of Neal storyboard art for Conan
        Art        Marvel    Savage Sword of Conan    83        art    Dec-82    Red Sonja by Neal

On 4/13/2024 at 12:58 PM, Jordysnordy said:

The 1st 50 issues all have amazing covers. They may not have much “value” but you will be very hard pressed a greater run of covers.

If they were keepers I'd agree with you but these aren't for me. I'm not a really big Conan fan to begin with.

On 4/13/2024 at 12:58 PM, Jordysnordy said:

The 1st 50 issues all have amazing covers. They may not have much “value” but you will be very hard pressed a greater run of covers.

Yup, they were very popular and pretty common and the guys who bought them kept them. My friend who had a shop always had them cheap because he said a muscle head who wasn't really a comic collector to start with would come in every month or two with a few boxes of them. True, this was 25 years ago.

Like TA and JS said, the covers are worth buying them for alone, # 47 is doing well in the latest Clink auction, great Norem cover and being a 9.8 helps, I wonder who's it is? hm Not mine by the way.

SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN #47, CGC 9.8 NM/MT

Current Bid: $190
Number Of Bids: 11 history.gif

50016642398000084391483023_TH.jpg

Type of Holder: Modern
Degree Of Restoration: Unrestored
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Page Quality: WHITE Pages
Census Rank: 2nd Highest Graded
End Date: 5/8/2024 12:10:00 AM