• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 23
2 2

4 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I've got a Batman 23, which I love!  What I don't love, is the old case, which has scratches and so forth, and looks a bit dull.  I'm considering sending it to CGC for a new holder.  But then... as long as I'm sending to CGC anyway... I start thinking about if it's worthwhile to clean and press and hope for a higher grade.  That's where I'm hoping some of you can help.  I rely on CGC for grading because I'm no good at it!  Obviously, we have a starting point.  Once upon a time it was graded 5.0 with off white to white pages.  Grader notes say:  "Center front cover lite stain / Full center front cover large crease / Full right back cover lite multiple crease / Spine stress lines breaks color"

Oddly, the notes make no mention of the 1/2 inch tear at the top of the spine.

Please provide your thoughts.  Would this book benefit from a clean and press?  Or is it more likely to stay the same grade... or even to go down?!

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

IMG_4898.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG

IMG_4904.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG

IMG_4909.JPG

I wouldn't press a book this old. 5.0 seems a fair grade. Could go a grade higher nowadays and I doubt it'd be downgraded. 2c

On 4/15/2024 at 8:45 PM, WOLVERINE335 said:

Oddly, the notes make no mention of ......

Not odd, not uncommon.  CGC Grader notes rarely document all of a mid-grade book's various blemishes/defects/flaws.

I think Bo's assessment is solid.  For simplicity, let's assume the post-CPR (clean-press-regrade) specimen has a 50% chance of being recertified as a CGC 5.0 and a 50% chance of getting bumped up to CGC 5.5.  Would I spend $250 (Unlimited Value tier CPR fees, plus round-trip shipping) on a procedure that has only a 50% chance of increasing the book's value by $250?  No -- I'm not averse to gambling, but I tend to avoid playing unless the odds are strongly in my favor.  One man's opinion, for what it's worth.  :foryou: