• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House Ads and Comics!
3 3

76 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I saw this ad from 1961 in one of the back issues (a Justice League of America perhaps) I acquired through trade in 1963-64:

(edited)_DC_House_Ad_Secret_Origins.png

While I'd gained an inkling of the origins of Flash, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman from reading their comics, I had no idea whatsoever of the origins of the heroic Green Arrow, J'onn J'onzz and Adam Strange. The ad therefore filled me with a longing for the issue that wasn't requited until the mid-1990's. here's a scan of my present day copy:

Secret20Origins_zpsw3sfg4ov.jpg

:)

Edited by Hepcat

Posted (edited)

I distinctly remember seeing this ad in the pages of a comic through which I was flipping on the spinner rack at Les' Variety in August 1962:

Superman1561962_zps40b2b056.jpg

I was awestruck! It wasn't until early 1964 (I think) though that I got my hands on a copy. Here's the one from my present day collection:

31-05-201173905PM.jpg

Edited by Hepcat

Posted (edited)

Nice to see that your committed enough to this thread to rip pages from your comics so you can scan them to post!

(thumbsu

Edited by Hepcat

Posted (edited)

I don't know when I first saw this other Brave and the Bold Hawkman ad:

(edited)_DC_House_ad_Brave_and_the_Bold_

As soon as I saw it though, Brave and the Bold 36 leaped to the top tier of my Want List! Here's my present day copy:

CGC 8.5

BravetheBold36.jpg

Edited by Hepcat

Posted (edited)

Here's the house ad for Brave and the Bold 50:

63-11_GAMfromM_Adv314-1.jpg?w=625&ssl=1

Meanwhile the splash page for Brave and the Bold 50 was actually a house ad for a new concept for the title:

Brave%2050_zps1wglnxqx.jpg

I still recall how tremendously excited I was when I saw Brave and the Bold 50 on the bottom shelf of the magazine stand at Les' Variety. Up to that point Silver Age team-ups between heroes other than the Superman and Batman ones in World's Finest Comics were a rare thing in DC comics. There had only been one team-up between Aquaman and Green Arrow in Adventure Comics 267 way back in 1959, three team-ups between the Flash and Green Lantern and one between the Atom and Hawkman. And this team-up featured the very two Justice League heroes who didn't have their own titles and sorely needed more appearances!

Here's my present day copy:

03-06-201185514PM.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

On 4/16/2024 at 7:15 AM, Hepcat said:

I'm a great fan of the house ads comic publishers once ran to promote other issues from their own comic line. In particular the ones that letterer and logo designer Ira Schnapp did for DC between 1940 and 1967 were works of art and very often left me with a palpable desire to acquire and read that particular comic.

So show off your favourite house ads by any publisher here with your present day copy of that same comic if possible!

I'll start. I still remember the day in 1964 that I first saw this ad in an old Blackhawk comic in the waiting room of the Ontario Conservatory of Music on Dundas Street in London prior to my weekly accordion lesson:

DC_House_ad_Justice_League_3.webp

It left me longing for a copy of Justice League 3 but at the time I thought that particular issue was gone forever in the mists of time. I've had that issue now since 1980-81 but I'd still like a better copy!

(edited)_Justice_League_3.png

How do you explain that Martian Manhunter is the only one to deserve his real name on this announce? lol

DC couldn't decide whether the superhero's name was J'onn J'onzz, Martian Manhunter or Manhunter from Mars. Therefore cover and splash page titles and blurbs alternated among the three. (shrug) But in his secret identity he was always police detective John Jones.

:wink:

Posted (edited)

This ad in the Aquaman 11 that I bought in July 1963 had a profound effect on me:

DC_Subscription_Ad.jpg

Aquaman11.jpg

It prompted me to mail in $1.35 for the next twelve issues of Aquaman! Issue #12 arrived in my mailbox some three weeks later:

11-08-201170552PM.jpg

I was somewhat miffed though by the fact that it was folded down the middle and I therefore didn't subscribe to any more titles.

:frown:

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/7/2024 at 11:49 PM, Hepcat said:

Meanwhile the splash page for Brave and the Bold 50 was actually a house ad for a new concept for the title:

Brave%2050_zps1wglnxqx.jpg

I still recall how tremendously excited I was when I saw Brave and the Bold 50 on the bottom shelf of the magazine stand at Les' Variety. Up to that point Silver Age team-ups between heroes other than the Superman and Batman ones in World's Finest Comics were a rare thing in DC comics. There had only been one team-up between Aquaman and Green Arrow in Adventure Comics 267 way back in 1959, three team-ups between the Flash and Green Lantern and one between the Atom and Hawkman. And this team-up featured the very two Justice League heroes who didn't have their own titles and sorely needed more appearances!

One of the house ads that ran in Brave and the Bold 50 was this subscription ad:

Subscription_Ad.jpg

Despite how excited I was about the new team-up concept, I resisted since I'd already learned from subscribing to Aquaman that my comics would arrive folded in half.

Johnny DC quickly started appearing to tout coming issues. Among his very earliest appearances was this one where he announced the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer comic for 1963:

DC_House_ad_Rudolph.webp

And what could be better than a Rudolph Giant? Sadly I don't even have one today.

On 5/13/2024 at 12:54 AM, Hepcat said:

This house ad introducing DC's new mascot Johnny DC ran in most DC comics cover dated December 1962:

(edited)_DC_House_Ad_Johnny_DC.png

I have the promotional glass released at the time:

JohnnyDC-1.jpg

JohnnyDC2.jpg

JohnnyDC3.jpg

JohnnyDC5.jpg

:cool:

You post cool stuff on  a regular basis, but this is REALLY cool. Never seen that glass before.

Posted (edited)

The glass though must have been issued before the end of 1960. From the top the heads pictured are those of Superman, (a surprisingly modern) Batman, the Flash, (a rather old-fashioned) Wonder Woman, Tomahawk, Crawford Crow and Judy from A Date with Judy the last issue of which was #79 cover dated November 1960. So the Johnny DC character must have been getting use somewhere before the end of 1962.

_A_Date_With_Judy_Vol_1_78.jpg_filename* {Not mine sadly.)

2c

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/15/2024 at 6:29 PM, Hepcat said:

The glass though must have been issued before the end of 1960. From the top the heads pictured are those of Superman, Batman, the Flash, (a rather old-fashioned) Wonder Woman, Tomahawk, Crawford Crow and Judy from A Date with Judy the last issue of which was #79 cover dated November 1960. So the Johnny DC character must have been getting use somewhere before the end of 1962.

_A_Date_With_Judy_Vol_1_78.jpg_filename* {Not mine sadly.)

2c

I see Judy is celebrating a redhead.