• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House Ads and Comics!
3 3

77 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Not being a movie buff, I didn't know until now that A Date with Judy was a 1948 flick starring Elizabeth Taylor among others:

738px-Elizabeth_Taylor_and_Jane_Powell_i

I had nothing but a vague recollection of the comic. Now I'd like to acquire a few issues anyway of the title for my collection.

:50849494_winkemoji:

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/16/2024 at 9:06 AM, Hepcat said:

Not being a movie buff, I didn't know until now that A Date with Judy was a 1948 flick starring Elizabeth Taylor among others:

738px-Elizabeth_Taylor_and_Jane_Powell_i

I had nothing but a vague recollection of the comic. Now I'd like to acquire a few issues anyway of the comic for my collection.

i seem to recall that for some reason there is a key issue or two besides #1

I can't find any indication of "key" issues beyond #1. But I see that A Date with Judy was also a radio series that ran between 1941 and 1950. And  a daytime A Date with Judy ran weekly on Saturdays on ABC from 2 June 1951 to 23 February 1952 and then a primetime version with a different cast ran on ABC from 10 July 1952 to 30 September 1953.

(shrug)

Posted (edited)

All 26 non-romance comics that DC released in April 1963 ran a version of this "The Swing is to DC!" ad:

DC_house_ad_Swing_to_DC_kx4FJXjLytsQ7JW6

Each comic pictured a different mix of four titles and each of the 26 comics appeared in at least one ad. Since each ad featured different genres as well as titles, I can't find a single ad in which I have all four comics pictured. The best I can do is three. From the ad above I have these:

13-07-201173624PM.jpg

29-12-201220232PM.jpg

22-05-201111532PM.jpg

Nice pre-1966 copies of the Fox and the Crow are incredibly difficult to find. 

:frown:

Edited by Hepcat

Posted (edited)

Here's yet another one in the same series of ads in which I can count three comics from my present day collection:

(edited)_House_Ad_Swing_3.png

14-08-201173506PM.jpg

14-11-2011120706AM.jpg

06-08-201182700PM.jpg

Like I say, so many different genres that it's very difficult for any one collector to get a sweep.

:smile:

Edited by Hepcat

Posted (edited)

I can no longer remember where and when I first saw many of the house ads that left me longing to get my hands on that particular issue. It could have been in my superhero comic buying/collecting days as a kid in 1962-65 or it could instead be in 1979-81 when I first started re-acquiring the treasures of my formative years. Some of those comics such as this one I still haven't managed to add to my collection:

DC_house_ad_CaveCarson_Action268.webp

Edited by Hepcat

Posted (edited)

This is perhaps one of the most attractive DC house ads ever because of the line art in addition to the cover picture:

61-03_JLAGreenArrow_Adv283.jpg

The ad has never filled me with longing though. Quite simply #4 was one of the first few Justice League of America issues I succeeded in acquiring by trade as a kid and I've had a copy as an adult since about 1980!

02-07-201164222PM.jpg

Edited by Hepcat

I didn't have any Aquaman comics below #11 as a kid but I was still somehow aware that Aquaman had appeared in several issues of Showcase. I must therefore have seen one or more of these house ads somewhere:

61-02_ShowcaseAquaman_Action273.jpg

61-03_AquamanSeaBeasts_Adv282.jpg

61-06_AquamanCreature_Blackhawk161.jpg

I am very pleased of course to have copies of these issues in my present day collection:

Showcase30.jpg

Showcase31.jpg

Showcase32.jpg

Impressive that you have so many original raws, though.

Posted (edited)

I'm actually not the original owner of most of the comics I post. I acquired them mainly between 1979 and 2011 as an adult.

Edited by Hepcat

Posted (edited)

Now this house ad for the mysterious Metal Men I certainly admired as a kid:

DC_House_ad_Metal_Men_Showcase.webp

I mean how could I not? That cover is absolutely wild! Fortunately I've now had a copy for over 25 years:

17-05-201183728PM.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

When I was a kid this house ad made me pine for a copy of Mystery in Space 75:

DC_House_Ad_Adam_Strange.webp

I satisfied that desire only about thirty years ago:

18-05-2011110442PM.jpg

This one's a fabulous ad to be sure:

60-06_ReadersChoice_Action265.jpg

Fortunately I've had a copy of Brave and the Bold 30 for some 25 years:

BraveBold30.jpg

I've been longing for a copy of Showcase 26 with the fabulous Joe Kubert cover art for nearly as long however.