• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Spider-Boy a fan favorite or just spec hype?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been covered, but I am curious if people are reading this character or if this was a product of the Dan Slott hype machine. If people are really into Bailey, what issues really stand out as a "must read"?  How does Baily stack up against some of the other Spider-folk (Miles, Gwen, Silk, etc).  Would like honest discussion and not pump and dump.  

For the near term, it's speculator hype.  This may bleed into actual fan appreciation, but it's hard to tell.  Think of it like Spider-Gwen, whose early appearances were pushed by hype but now seems to be a legit fan favorite character (EoSV 2a in CGC 9.8 is ~$1k), relative to DC's Punchline (Batman 89a in CGC 9.8 is ~$120), who was pushed hard by spec hype but never really got enough of her own traction.  It all depends on how Spider-Boy develops.  Given the number of Spider-related characters relative to the number who have established themselves with lasting fan bases, it's unlikely Spider-Boy will be of any particular interest 10 years from now, which is what I would expect of a "fan favorite."

Considering that first appearance was hyped before anyone knew what the content of the book was, certainly initially popularity was speculator-driven.

Probably too early in the game to tell whether the character will also be a fan favorite. Slott seems legitimately excited about the story he has to tell, and it never hurts when a creative team is producing what they want to, rather than something driven by editorial and marketing, to get characters from where they are now, to some point they want them to be at, for the next big crossover, media tie-in, etc. I think what will be more important is whatever happens to the character when Slott is done with the story he wants to tell.

Out of all the new Spider-Verse characters out these last few years, Slott has done a great job with Spider-Boy. He has really put some thought, build, and hype into the character. I can see Spider-Boy still being relevant in 10 years from now. It seems like the book is selling fairly decently so we will see with time.

I think if Marvel would just eradicate all of these useless spider characters like they were going to with End of the Spider-Verse, it would have helped to leave the ones with some kind of potential. At this point, they have more than enough to try and pull some magic, but even look how they have treated Spider-Gwen and she is a fairly popular character.

If anything, they should keep the following Spider-Verse characters and then just dump the rest by killing them off. There are just way too many and it has done nothing but dilute the "Spider" character and name.

• Spider-Boy
  • Spider-Man Noir
  • Spider-Punk
  • Kid Venom (this has potential as they try to get into Manga)
  • Spider-Man 2099 (old character from the 90's, and can be cool if written properly)
  • Spintress (she has potential from being a Disney like princess)

Out of the new ones from Edge of Spider-Verse, both Weapon VIII and Spooky-Man were really cool characters. Weapon VIII had some hype out the gate, that has since died out. If any of you did read the story with Spooky-Man, now that was well done.