• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Darwin's Manhunts
2 2

40 posts in this topic

This is my first sales thread on the boards, and I hopefully I manage to set it up without breaking any rules.  I wanted to do it here in the new pulps area even though there doesn't seem to be the eyes here yet that there is in the GA area of the marketplace because I like the idea of having a place where pulps, magazines, paperbacks, etc., get some special attention and aren't drowned out by comics.  Of course, I've got comics to sell, too, so if this goes well I'm sure I'll be over in the main marketplace as well.  I've been selling on eBay for the past year and am a top-rated seller and have been buying there since 2007. You can see my heretofore flawless feedback here. I've been somewhat successfully if slowly narrowing down a collection of about 40 shortboxes of comics, pulps, and magazines in an effort to shed some belongings and in the process ease the *minor* burden of having a couple of kids in college.  Well, I say that, but I'm constantly feeding the dragon, too, with new collecting interests picked up around here.  Sell pulp to buy pulp? Something like that :headpat:

Rules:

No list people.  Lord willing I don't have to make my own list, but I'll let you know if it comes to that.

Shipping in the U.S. only.  You can P.M. me to see if I'll make an exception, but the hassle isn't usually worth it in the price range I'll be selling in.  Shipping for comics and magazines is a flat 8 dollars and will be USPS Ground Advantage.  I pack securely with books sandwiched by cardboard in a stiff mailer or padded envelope or in a well-packed box.  I ship as I like to receive, and you collectors know what I'm talking about.

Payment via Paypal or Check or Money Order.  If you're doing one of the latter, it's going to be slower as we have to wait for the thing to mail and clear which isn't a problem.

Returns within 30 days.  You pay for the return unless there's an omission in the listing in which case I do. In any case let me know if there are any problems, as I like both the buyer and the seller to be happy with the transaction.

Please feel free to PM with any questions or reasonable offers (particularly on package deals).  A quick note on my prices.  I see some people around here with "wall" prices that stick a few slabs up at boutique prices and move nothing.  I see others that are dealing at a lightning pace at rock bottom prices.  I imagine I'll be somewhere in the middle.  If I may be so bold, I give a lot to the hobby and dare I say discipline in scans, scholarship, and enthusiasm, so I'm not really looking to straight give away my collection, too :foryou: There's items I may put a high price on and be happy to never sell, but then there's stuff I just want gone, too, as well as plenty of points between.  I may offer price reductions on unclaimed books or I may just close a thread and issue invoices, we'll see how that goes.

As for grading, well, that's gonna be a mixed bag.  Pulp grading traditionally is more in line with paperback grading but I imagine it's all going towards a system more in sync with comics.  I'll do my best.  I'm likely going to be giving more pictures than I tend to see on the boards but not as many as I use at eBay.   We've got some trust here as knowledgeable collectors, and intend not to break that.  I have not in the past been a high grade collector (even if I seem to be trending in that direction these days), so you're going to see plenty of readers and beaters.  Anything listed here is exclusive.  If you see something I've previously listed at eBay it means I've killed the listing there for as long as it's on offer here.

Do bear with me as I learn the pace and presentation of these board sales, there seems to be an art to it, but I'm going to start slow.  And as I'm sure you know by now, I may ramble on a bit -:blahblah: :blahblah: zzz

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)

RECAP

Pg1

Manhunt v01n01 January 1953 $15. SOLD TO OtherEric

Manhunt v01n02, February 1953. $35  SOLD TO Comcav

Manhunt v01n03 March 1953 $50       SOLD TO Comcav

Manhunt v01n04 April 1953 $50             SOLD TO Comcav

Manhunt v02n09 1954-11 $30    NOW $25         SOLD TO JustJimN

Pg2

Manhunt v02n01 1954-01 $25   NOW $15

Manhunt v01 n09 1953-09 $12             SOLD TO OtherEric

Manhunt v04 n09 1956-09 $16             SOLD TO JustJimN

Manhunt v04n11 1956-11 $16             SOLD TO JustJimN

Manhunt v09n01 1961-02 $16   NOW $12

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)

Let's start at the beginning, shall we, with Manhunt v01n01.  The first crime digest?  Not really.  Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine was around since 1941, but Manhunt was perhaps the first *hardboiled* digest and landed that initial gutpunch that would bring a slew of imitators to the market.  Archer St. John was willing to pay the top rates it would take for editor John McCloud to lure in heavyweight novelists and top short story writers to a new publication.  Add to that the fact that St. John was a repository of artistic talent from the comics, and you have recipe for a classic, grubby little magazine.  The first issue flew off the stands and had readers clamoring for more.  Is the first issue truly hard to find?  It's hard to say.  I never fiercely collected the series (though that would be fun to do) but I have noticed the first couple of issues are harder to find.  Especially "in grade".  My copy, however, is not in grade :D Generally, I notice that Manhunt prices have been rising and that finding certain issues can be tricky.

Manhunt v01n01 January 1953 $15.  All of these Manhunts and others of the size will come in a digest sized bag with a custom cut board. SOLD TO OtherEric

Fair. Significant scuffing and creasing as well as a couple colors of pen marking, split and missing spine at top front and rear covers, split spine bottom inch of back cover.  Beat but complete.  A bit of spine roll, browning but still supple, mostly square pages with some edge staining.  Read it in the can while drinking coffee, like a real man. 

Cover artist unknown?  An itty bitty gun and a redhead falling out of her blouse.

Spoiler

20240426_175634.thumb.jpg.f44df8b50d0b968abf767116f3563d7a.jpg

But who cares about the cover (even if some great covers are to come) as the writers are big time.  Mickey Spillane, seller of over 20 million paperbacks, headlines.  William Irish (Cornell Woolrich). Evan Hunter. Richard Prather. Frank Kane.  They all get a spot on the back cover:

Spoiler

20240426_175935.thumb.jpg.aba2e731bc97ccc407812a978148e653.jpg

But if the fiction aint enough, how about a sock on the jaw on the opening splash from Joe Kubert in awesome yellow inks (it kills me Fictionmags doesn't list artist credits for these in their indexes)

20240426_175656.thumb.jpg.b36f8c52915620e3cc71b98581d7de55.jpg

If that doesn't scream Sin City...Kubert doesn't whet your whistle?  How about Matt Baker brings his finesse down to the gutter?

20240426_175810.thumb.jpg.4e07a9fe8bdbbf0950e22fb1dc493ec9.jpg

Pink!

20240426_175853.thumb.jpg.caefae4d29498b1472fca9c68ec51811.jpg

20240426_175729.thumb.jpg.97a04f5721927450dd68f645dc4802d7.jpg

Red! Excuse all the pics, I can't help myself

20240426_175748.thumb.jpg.844b56ea18b249efb812d0a85f268215.jpg

An interesting aside and totally new to me (and I'm not gonna pull the listing just because of it).  I had no knowledge of multiple printings of this first issue, but the scan the pulpscans group has (executed most skillfully by Saskia "the killer" via a paper texture fill technique here) shows a different opening splash (I see no other differences though anywhere else in the issue)

Manhunt-1953-01-p003.thumb.jpg.d8f3c48e32b1277e07fd5294725de4ae.jpg

Wild.  I'm not sure how to account for it but would guess that Baker splash here is a replacement.  Either because of the grossness of the yellow bile shooting out of the mouth of the gentleman in the Kubert illo or maybe just the elegant attraction of a Baker dame as the lead.  So much demand they had to do a second edition as a back issue? What the hell.  Anybody ever hear of this?

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)

Manhunt v01n02, February 1953. $35          SOLD TO Comcav

VG-.  Flat and square. Small chip out bottom corner at front of spine.  Small chip out adjacent spine at the bottom of the back cover.  The largest defect presentation wise on the lovely cover is some sun shadow running perpendicular to the spine.  Small scuff at bottom right edge in the redhead's dress.  Artist unknown?  It would grade higher except for the sun shadow and edge browning of the interior pages.

Spoiler

20240426_175308.thumb.jpg.eeb70d7569d1223e5ae79e1afe27d812.jpg

The story of the magazine's success and huge demand is told on the inner front cover by McCloud.  Judging from his story it might explain why the second issue doesn't seem as common as those to come (from the pulpscans edition by woldhound, so you don't have to blow up my image):

001ManhuntFeb1943.thumb.jpg.c3ab2636d002bda2d8199b3c8edc8154.jpg

This time around Spillane is joined by John Ross MacDonald and Fletcher Flora.

20240426_175402.thumb.jpg.a2f8609c227a32e9f9aa01ac9a13ad09.jpg

The Spillane serial continues.  A splash from Matt Baker as well as some spot illos, blue and green accent inks:

20240426_175423.thumb.jpg.edaee047a178c9e7656c503053a3d245.jpg

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)

Manhunt v01n03 March 1953 $50          SOLD TO Comcav

Great cover from Willard Downed, eyes afright, pearls flying everywhere, the wretched male hand grasping for flesh.

VG/FN. Great cover gloss, square and flat.  Faint reader crease.  Pencil marking in M of title, likely store or distributor marks.  Small chip out bottom of spine, very small chip out top of spine. Light even browning to interior pages.

Spoiler

20240426_174248.thumb.jpg.55940cdb85a5e4c57b2b2dba98d2212a.jpg

S20240426_174324.thumb.jpg.5750b698da8787b6adbcc9601264a4f5.jpg

Spillane serial continues.  Also Leslie Charteris, Bruno Fischer, Evan Hunter:

20240426_174410.thumb.jpg.4266d600cacfc1859890a64cdf84d204.jpg

Also 2 excellent Matt Baker girlie art splashes. Here's one:

20240427_042825(1).thumb.jpg.418789f8557b6ef38964fb8707945a9f.jpg

Gonna call it quits for the evening with that one.

Edited by Darwination

On 4/27/2024 at 1:10 AM, Darwination said:

Let's start at the beginning, shall we, with Manhunt v01n01.  The first crime digest?  Not really.  Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine was around since 1941, but Manhunt was perhaps the first *hardboiled* digest and landed that initial gutpunch that would bring a slew of imitators to the market.  Archer St. John was willing to pay the top rates it would take for editor John McCloud to lure in heavyweight novelists and top short story writers to a new publication.  Add to that the fact that St. John was a repository of artistic talent from the comics, and you have recipe for a classic, grubby little magazine.  The first issue flew off the stands and had readers clamoring for more.  Is the first issue truly hard to find?  It's hard to say.  I never fiercely collected the series (though that would be fun to do) but I have noticed the first couple of issues are harder to find.  Especially "in grade".  My copy, however, is not in grade :D Generally, I notice that Manhunt prices have been rising and that finding certain issues can be tricky.

Manhunt v01n01 January 1953 $15.  All of these Manhunts and others of the size will come in a digest sized bag with a custom cut board.

Fair. Significant scuffing and creasing as well as a couple colors of pen marking, split and missing spine at top front and rear covers, split spine bottom inch of back cover.  Beat but complete.  A bit of spine roll, browning but still supple, mostly square pages with some edge staining.  Read it in the can while drinking coffee, like a real man. 

Cover artist unknown?  An itty bitty gun and a redhead falling out of her blouse.

20240426_175634.thumb.jpg.f44df8b50d0b968abf767116f3563d7a.jpg

But who cares about the cover (even if some great covers are to come) as the writers are big time.  Mickey Spillane, seller of over 20 million paperbacks, headlines.  William Irish (Cornell Woolrich). Evan Hunter. Richard Prather. Frank Kane.  They all get a spot on the back cover:

20240426_175935.thumb.jpg.aba2e731bc97ccc407812a978148e653.jpg

But if the fiction aint enough, how about a sock on the jaw on the opening splash from Joe Kubert in awesome yellow inks (it kills me Fictionmags doesn't list artist credits for these in their indexes)

20240426_175656.thumb.jpg.b36f8c52915620e3cc71b98581d7de55.jpg

If that doesn't scream Sin City...Kubert doesn't whet your whistle?  How about Matt Baker brings his finesse down to the gutter?

20240426_175810.thumb.jpg.4e07a9fe8bdbbf0950e22fb1dc493ec9.jpg

Pink!

20240426_175853.thumb.jpg.caefae4d29498b1472fca9c68ec51811.jpg

20240426_175729.thumb.jpg.97a04f5721927450dd68f645dc4802d7.jpg

Red! Excuse all the pics, I can't help myself

20240426_175748.thumb.jpg.844b56ea18b249efb812d0a85f268215.jpg

An interesting aside and totally new to me (and I'm not gonna pull the listing just because of it).  I had no knowledge of multiple printings of this first issue, but the scan the pulpscans group has (executed most skillfully by Saskia "the killer" via a paper texture fill technique here) shows a different opening splash (I see no other differences though anywhere else in the issue)

Manhunt-1953-01-p003.thumb.jpg.d8f3c48e32b1277e07fd5294725de4ae.jpg

Wild.  I'm not sure how to account for it but would guess that Baker splash here is a replacement.  Either because of the grossness of the yellow bile shooting out of the mouth of the gentleman in the Kubert illo or maybe just the elegant attraction of a Baker dame as the lead.  So much demand they had to do a second edition as a back issue? What the hell.  Anybody ever hear of this?

:takeit:

On 4/27/2024 at 1:10 AM, Darwination said:

I'm not sure how to account for it but would guess that Baker splash here is a replacement.  Either because of the grossness of the yellow bile shooting out of the mouth of the gentleman in the Kubert illo or maybe just the elegant attraction of a Baker dame as the lead.  So much demand they had to do a second edition as a back issue? What the hell.  Anybody ever hear of this?

This is the first I've heard of alternate editions, but mine is the Baker illustration copy.  Mine also indicates Baker as the Artistic Director in the copyright block, but I'm not seeing that on yours (it's difficult to read in your picture).  Baker didn't show up with Art Director credit in subsequent issues.  Maybe something happened after the initial printing and Eagle wanted to distance itself from MB?

Nice leads here, Yorick.  We're trying to get to the bottom of this and only finding the Baker illos on any copies thus far.  As far as I can tell there's no mention on the web of multiple printings, and there's no mention of them in Peter Enfantino and Jeff Vorzimmer's 2021 The Manhunt Companion.  Maybe, being a UK edition, your copyright block (which tends to be referred to as the indicia) is different than this one from a copy with the Baker illo on the first page?

Manhunt-1953-01-p002.thumb.jpg.7c53d1d2c57f43c9bf28a3c090fa646a.jpg

Posted (edited)

The "Kubert Edition" which I guess is what we'll be calling ones like Eric's copy here (thanks for the purchase, homeboy) has an identical indicia and contents page to this one for what that's worth.  The only other difference I can note so far between editions is that there is a white subscription page with a blank back between pages 72 and 73 in the copy Saskia scanned of one of the Baker illo copies.

Manhunt-1953-01-p074a.jpg

This page isn't present in the Kubert copy (and I don't recall seeing it any any editions of Manhunt I own for that matter) so I don't know if it was stapled in or just a loose card.   To me, it would indicate that the Baker copies came later and the subscription card is a response to the high popularity and demand.  Some have speculated the Baker edition was first and that somehow the scantily clad woman on the opening page was scandalous and replaced by the Kubert.  My feel is that the yellow bile shooting out of the mouth of the guy getting punched is even more distasteful. (shrug)  (and yet awesome heh heh)

Edited by Darwination

I have a US edition too, not just UK.  I'll see if they're on top of a pile so that I can take some pictures.  You might have found a "new" edition here!

The thing that gets me is that I've never heard of their being multiple pressings (shrug)

Joe Kubert would have been the guy to ask about this, but he's long gone (RIP).

On 4/27/2024 at 1:11 PM, Darwination said:

The thing that gets me is that I've never heard of their being multiple pressings

I think you have it correct.  I am wrong.  I do not see Baker listed as Art Director (sorry).  I see Art Director credit beginning with issue four.  I could have sworn...  hm  :preach:

The UK copy was printed months (US is January & UK is August) later and yet features the Baker opening splash.  The gruesome Kubert must have been pulped in favor of the "tame" Baker.  I'd say you have a rare first printing.

Somebody else came forward with a Baker illo copy, too.  The only difference with theirs is that the subscription card was in a different spot in the magazine than the issue that was scanned. 

I'm definitely leaning towards Eric's copy as a rarer first printing as from what I've counted today (not scientific, mind you) is 6 copies with the Baker illo to only one with the Kubert illo.  In fact, so far there's been no mention of any other copies with the Kubert.  I'm guessing it's an Action #1 scenario where high and unanticipated demand is met with a rush to the press.  Whether you replace the Kubert because it is distasteful or up the ante with your start artist's cheesecake to add sex appeal is something we may never know.  My guess is it's the Spillane story splashed on the cover or the cool little format that drove interest.  The cover is nowhere as appealing as some that would come after.

Speaking of - back to the commerce -

Posted (edited)

Manhunt v01n04 April 1953 $50                 SOLD TO Comcav

VG/FN.  The first time I'm feeling serious remorse here, but onward and upward.  Flat and colorful copy with good gloss.  Very light creasing at spine and very slight chipping at right edge.  Nearly complete spine with just a bit of loss at both top and bottom. Split at back cover for bottom half inch.  Moderate browning at edges of interior pages. Light discoloration at inner front cover, clean ibc, small edge tear at top of back cover.

Cover artist unknown?  A dramatic scene.  A blonde with a torn blouse, a heavy behind the desk.  Someone's about to go for a gun.

Spoiler

Manhuntv01n04(1953-04.Eagle)cover.thumb.jpg.de46bcf818c580009026175959f1549b.jpg

20240426_174621.thumb.jpg.1df422fd6821c9bd09dfc46cf79fa18c.jpg

Part 4 of 4 of the Spillane serial within. Also David Goodis, Evan Hunter, Robert Turner, and more.

Of particular interest to Matt Baker fans, a fantastic opening illustration in blue

20240426_174644.thumb.jpg.f8a70b97fe4d9861db87012bd19b5d61.jpg

another

20240427_142601.thumb.jpg.1c5927b54973604290384a85ce87125a.jpg

How about some red? Holy cow

20240427_142641.thumb.jpg.9082d3200ee2a9888711e4c1026fcc1e.jpg

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)

Manhunt v02n10 December 1954 - Free to the following take.                Free to Comcav for following take.

A total loss, covers detached and binding cut behind staples.  It's all there but a stack of pages (with a stain throughout).  Enticing, I know.  Careless reader or spot holder.

Richard Deming Novel, Hal Ellson, Fletcher Flora, Robert Turner, more.

Poor girls always getting beat or worse on these covers...

Spoiler

20240426_175521.thumb.jpg.d962a4a7b1ddb3967f36a2671d8965fb.jpg

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)

Manhunt v02n09 1954-11 $30    NOW $25         SOLD TO JustJimN

This time the girl is giving the whoopin' instead of taking it. Fear in the man's eye for once, yass. A fave cover in the series.

VG/FN.  Nice gloss and color.  Very faint spine crease. Small crease upper right corner.  Faint L written in cursive in pencil in the yellow title box.  Presents quite nicely. Some waviness but no sign moisture, just a crinkly spine bind.  Tight.  Full spine.  White inner covers, browning but supple pages.

Spoiler

Manhuntv02n09(1954-11)cover.thumb.jpg.23692bbf0117a70e8114bd8c55690847.jpg

Hal Ellson with the title story,  Various shades of blue, green, and brown accent inks.

20240426_174742.thumb.jpg.6c79e475fd00182b4f1f400c040bf413.jpg

20240426_174807.thumb.jpg.55f8931bd44a512e6edadf2da818a828.jpg

20240426_174752.thumb.jpg.6598e1f3844a00be878c671fc60afe92.jpg

Edited by Darwination