• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

to those of you reading/collection when X-men 94 hit the newsstands...
1 1

29 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2024 at 11:16 AM, NoMan said:

Did you know that was a game changer? Did you know to buy multiple copies? 

I was 5 or 6 and my dad was the one buying me comics.  He was a die-hard DC guy and he instilled my love of Batman, Supes, the Legion and the JLA. He read all the comics (probably before he gave them to me - lol) and he DID NOT LIKE Marvel.  He did his best to keep me happy, and I apparently made it very clear that X-Men and the Avengers were my absolute favorites. Out of GS 1-UXM 112 I only missed 98 and 108 (I think). After that he was more sporadic about buying them and then I got my own subscriptions around 1984.   As a 6 year old, I knew the X-Men were special. 

Posted (edited)

Always liked the X-Men, including the original team and early issues.

I never had the chance to obtain GS XM 1 or XM 94 as neither were distributed to the UK and I was restricted at the time to what was on the newsstand here.  The first I picked up was issue 100, noticing that it was drawn by Dave Cockrum, and I was already a fan of his short LOSH run. Got 101 as well, but then the title stopped being distributed here again for a few issues, restarting with 108, John Byrne's first.  Again, already a fan of Byrne and so this was the point at which I became a regular New X-Men buyer, 12p All-Colour Comics copies, of course.  So, only really switched onto the run when it started to become absolutely classic, and it wasn't until 1980 that I bought my first GS XM 1 and XM 94.

If I'd seen the earliest material on a UK newsstand I don't think I would've been that excited about picking them up, more focused on the later Claremont / Byrne books.  I did miss a few issues, 96 to 99, so clearly there was also some competition on the newsstands I was using at the time, so who can say if I'd even have known about 94's existence anyway?  (I'd switched to another shop by the time Byrne started contributing.)

Edited by Ken Aldred

I was very excited about the new X-Men and considered buying a second copy of GS X-men 1, but that week was a big week for new releases and I opted for a copy of GS Invaders #1.  I was not pleased they weren't wearing the old team uniforms. 

As far as X-Men 94 was concerned, everyone knew the money was in the first issues; who cared about issue 94?

Not at the time but I wasnt satisfied with the copy I had so upgraded a few times over the years, I never sell anything so maybe ended up with half a dozen or so copies

GSX 1 and UXM 94 were no great shakes for a long time and didn't command higher prices until Byrne took over and the series' popularity really soared.  During the original Cockrum run, none of my fellow comic collectors in middle school thought much of the new X-Men. 

But then Byrne took over, Wolverine suddenly became popular and everyone started getting into them.  That's when the prices of GSX 1 and UXM 94 started to skyrocket (relatively speaking). 

On 5/2/2024 at 12:55 AM, tth2 said:

GSX 1 and UXM 94 were no great shakes for a long time and didn't command higher prices until Byrne took over and the series' popularity really soared.  During the original Cockrum run, none of my fellow comic collectors in middle school thought much of the new X-Men. 

But then Byrne took over, Wolverine suddenly became popular and everyone started getting into them.  That's when the prices of GSX 1 and UXM 94 started to skyrocket (relatively speaking). 

My best pal, Timmy Leaf, showed me his take from the BX back in '75, and pulled out 2 copies of GSX 1, exclaiming that this Cochran guy was going to be the next Adams, and that I should grab a couple. I passed. Now, before we start thinking that Timmy was some Guru of the unwashed masses, I DID have to talk him into buying his AF 15 in VG @ $30 at a show in the 70's. That, unfortunately, was not enough to qualify me for Guru-dom, as I never got an AF 15, because, as the song says, "Tomorrow Never Comes." GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/2/2024 at 10:00 PM, jimjum12 said:

I DID have to talk him into buying his AF 15 in VG @ $30 at a show in the 70's.

That was a lot of money back then!  $30 for a comic might as well have been $3000 as far as I was concerned, because they were both equally unaffordable (and would have been rejected just as quickly by my parents).

On 4/27/2024 at 11:16 AM, NoMan said:

Did you know that was a game changer? Did you know to buy multiple copies? 

Ha, no, I didn't buy UXM94 off the spinner rack simply because it contained unknown characters, not the "real" X-Men!  I picked up the issue, in a Lawson's store IIRC, and after seeing a bunch of nobodies on the cover I put it back in disappointment.  doh!  lol

Posted (edited)

I was not buying X-Men off the rack at the time, although I had picked up a few back issues when I saw them at the LCS.  I'm pretty sure I never saw this issue either on the rack or in the back issue boxes.  I did get a #112 at some point.  #94 came out about a year before I waken up and started speculating on a few things (like Howard the Duck, Eternals, Nova, etc) which were, of course, precisely the wrong things on which to speculate.  Before that, it just never occurred to me, despite agreeing with the kids view that "these will be worth a million dollars some day!"  

Edited by MattTheDuck