• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1 Centerfold and Info Requested
3 3

25 posts in this topic

Could you please assist me in finding the going rate for a Superman 1 Centerfold and let me know how easy or difficult it is to find one?

Additionally, I am also searching for the last page of Superman 1, and I'm curious if it matters whether I purchase the available now or June 2nd Action Comics 14 page.

Lastly, I'm wondering if fragments of Superman 1 cover are available. I assume that a fragment could be leaf-cast and still be considered original cover/wrap? I'm considering what it would take to complete and restore my issue and the cost for restoration. Any help or information would be highly appreciated.

On 4/30/2024 at 12:41 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

6 months ago Blissard Comics (the dentists son) on eBay advertised a sup 1 centerfold for $25k. After a month the price dropped to $20k, then it disappeared. You may want to reach out to him for more info. Good luck

Evidently it didn’t sell at either price. What would you consider is the current fmv for a centerfold?

On 4/30/2024 at 1:11 AM, woowoo said:

Superman #1 (CENTERFOLD ONLY) Classic Vintage DC Superhero Comic 1939 CGC PG | eBay

still for sale. 10k would be nice price more if that's all you need.

Superman #1 (CENTERFOLD ONLY) Classic Vintage DC Superhero Comic 1939 CGC PG - Picture 1 of 2

Are you saying it is for sale for $10k or that is what a centerfold goes for? The link provided says $25k?

My question is what is a reasonable price for a Superman 1 centerfold? Anyone can ask for any price, doesn’t mean that is what it truly worth. 

I don't know that it would reach more than $5k at an auction, but...

There's a coverless, centerfold missing Sup 1 on sale by My Comic Shop for about $40k, and that one clearly shows the back page ad version "On sale June 2", and not the later printings depicting "on sale now"

An otherwise complete coverless Sup 1 sold for $55k about 2 years ago.  Who knows how the values of the 2 different back page variants will play out in the future.

Edited by Joseph Ragno

On 4/30/2024 at 5:36 AM, Captain Canuck said:

Are you saying it is for sale for $10k or that is what a centerfold goes for? The link provided says $25k?

My question is what is a reasonable price for a Superman 1 centerfold? Anyone can ask for any price, doesn’t mean that is what it truly worth. 

You post says what is a reasonable price.

I replied 10k is a reasonable price.

There is a Make offer on that link.

On 4/30/2024 at 10:18 AM, woowoo said:

You post says what is a reasonable price.

I replied 10k is a reasonable price.

There is a Make offer on that link.

Joseph above feels $5K is more reasonable. The fact is I don't want to offer far more than what is reasonable/fair, no desire to pay someone the highest recorded price for a centerfold. That is why I am asking what the rough going rate is.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:53 AM, Joseph Ragno said:

I don't know that it would reach more than $5k at an auction, but...

There's a coverless, centerfold missing Sup 1 on sale by My Comic Shop for about $40k, and that one clearly shows the back page ad version "On sale June 2", and not the later printings depicting "on sale now"

An otherwise complete coverless Sup 1 sold for $55k about 2 years ago.  Who knows how the values of the 2 different back page variants will play out in the future.

Will the last page On Sale Now or On Sale June 2 back ad make a difference going forward in regards to value and desirability? I am slowly piecing my incomplete book back together. Should I be holding out for an On Sale June 2 and assume there will be a premium on them if the back page variants are a thing?

There will be a premium for that page.  I have no idea how long it will take, or what the dollar premium will be. Perhaps you will be the one that answers this question for us all. Nice problem to have.

As far as the centerfold goes, I think it would normally go for about $5k at auction. But that would be to a collector just for sake for owning the centerfold.  For the person looking to complete a book, it would be worth more.  This is likely why the seller is not putting the centerfold up for auction.  He wants (your) premium dollar.  Good luck

Edited by Joseph Ragno

On 4/30/2024 at 10:56 AM, Joseph Ragno said:

As far as the centerfold goes, I think it would normally go for about $5k at auction. But that would be to a collector just for sake for owning the centerfold.  For the person looking to complete a book, it would be worth more.  This is likely why the seller is not putting the centerfold up for auction.  He wants (your) premium dollar.  Good luck

All this exactly. I understand not wanting to pay "more than is reasonable" -- believe me! -- but there is an opportunity cost if you're passing on a centerfold at XYZ price and holding out for e.g. 1/2 or 1/3 of that, and an experienced seller will be aware of that too. There is no 'going rate'... this is not like buying an X-Men #1. How often does a Superman #1 centerfold come up that's on its own, intact, complete and not brittle? I don't know, but you may be waiting a while for the next opportunity.

Edited by Point Five

On 4/30/2024 at 11:10 AM, vheflin said:

Single pages don't go for much, hundreds only, although some make $1k.

Recent HA sale:

cats.thumb.jpg.6c077a6716dd20f8e59048007ef7e1d3.jpg

Thanks, but I don’t see any comps for centerfolds, the ad page (June 2) or a partial cover or back cover on any of the auction sites.

I think I only need part of the wrap to leaf cast and have it declared restored. All 3 are not easy to come by.

Is a centerfold worth $25K, $10K or even just $5K? If I make an offer on that eBay centerfold, I want to at least know it was a reasonable offer and didn’t over pay or be able to walk away and know that I offered what it is actually valued at. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 11:18 AM, Point Five said:

All this exactly. I understand not wanting to pay "more than is reasonable" -- believe me! -- but there is an opportunity cost if you're passing on a centerfold at XYZ price and holding out for e.g. 1/2 or 1/3 of that, and an experienced seller will be aware of that too. There is no 'going rate'... this is not like buying an X-Men #1. How often does a Superman #1 centerfold come up that's on its own, intact, complete and not brittle? I don't know, but you may be waiting a while for the next opportunity.

I already own a partial centerfold, 1 page missing coupon, not the second. I own the back page ad, but it is the on sale now variant and missing a piece of the cover or back cover to complete my copy. From what I am gathering I should be looking for the on sale June 2nd variant to increase the value/desirability of my copy. I am also oblivious to how much it will eventually cost to fully restore my copy or if it is even worth it to restore or just keep it as graded pieces of a whole. 

Edited by Captain Canuck

On 4/30/2024 at 11:19 AM, Captain Canuck said:

Thanks, but I don’t see any comps for centerfolds, the ad page (June 2) or a partial cover or back cover on any of the auction sites.

Yup, there you go then. Rare. So that's what you are (potentially) paying for. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 12:00 PM, Joseph Ragno said:

A restored 7.0 Sup 1 recently went for $66k.  A few years ago a restored 3.5 went for $45.6k.

If you are doing this for "money", are you sure all this is worth pursuing?  What restored grade do you ultimately think you'll get?

Not doing it for the money. Doing it for the love of owning Superman 1 and eventually a complete issue. I always like to know that if I ever decide to sell it (rainy day, emergency fund), then I can hopefully get the most out of it possible. I assume a restored complete issue goes for more than an unrestored incomplete issue (blue label). My ideal is to keep this issue and pass it down, but it will always be considered a keepsake first and an investment second.

Edited by Captain Canuck

On 4/30/2024 at 8:19 AM, Captain Canuck said:

I think I only need part of the wrap to leaf cast and have it declared restored. All 3 are not easy to come by.

Is a centerfold worth $25K, $10K or even just $5K? If I make an offer on that eBay centerfold, I want to at least know it was a reasonable offer and didn’t over pay or be able to walk away and know that I offered what it is actually valued at. 

You’ve had high quality responses but still have questions. This is an art, not a science. You want black and white in a world filled with grey

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 4/30/2024 at 1:22 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

You’ve had high quality responses but still have questions. This is an art, not a science. You want black and white in a world filled with grey

I agree that I have had high quality responses and that this an art and not a science, but correct me if I am wrong, but there should be a rough reasonable estimate of what a centerfold should retail for. If you were to go out and buy one today, what would you pay and expect it to be selling for?

On 4/30/2024 at 1:32 PM, Captain Canuck said:

I agree that I have had high quality responses and that this an art and not a science, but correct me if I am wrong, but there should be a rough reasonable estimate of what a centerfold should retail for. If you were to go out and buy one today, what would you pay and expect it to be selling for?

Honestly, and I don't mean this to be snide, I think it's unlikely you'll get a concrete answer that satisfies you here. And it's hard to even visualize what you're even looking at when you describe your book in its current state.

What probably makes the most sense is to touch base with a pro restorer, give them all relevant pics and descriptions and let them know what you're looking to do. Get an estimate of the cost from them and find out what potential grade they believe could be achieved, and compare that end point to sales data. Then work backwards to determine what you'd be willing to pay for the parts you're missing, which IMO is much more relevant to you than sales data which is virtually non-existent.