• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

free comic book day 2024
2 2

34 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2024 at 2:35 PM, WolverineX said:

Nice, I got several of those as well.  I wanted the INitial D manga, but it was totally gone

They still had copies of that one left but they were going quick. With 5 grandkids pulling stacks of free books and $2 Funkos, it was hard to keep track of everything!

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 3:18 PM, Robot Man said:

Took my 2 grandaughters. They had a blast. They are pouring over their stash now. Did you miss the Atlas one? I didn’t see the Godzilla at my store.

Here is what I snagged…

I just responded in the Atlas thread. We got there 10 min after they opened. They either sold out, didn’t put them out or didn’t have them. Do these books get evenly distributed across the country? Maybe that’s why you didn’t see the Godzilla book? (shrug)

Edited by Jayman

On 5/4/2024 at 3:18 PM, Robot Man said:

IMG_8832.jpeg

BTW, I didn’t see the Flash Gordon or the Overstreet books either…

On 5/4/2024 at 12:25 PM, Jayman said:

BTW, I didn’t see the Flash Gordon or the Overstreet books either…

I also got the Popeye one but forgot it in the photo. There is a list on line. My store gets them all but orders less of the ones they think people don’t want. My store is great. Within reason you can get one of anything you want. I always buy some stuff. This time a bunch of supplies on sale. I must have somehow missed Godzilla. It was a little crazy. 

On 5/4/2024 at 2:22 PM, Jayman said:

I just responded in the Atlas thread. We got there 10 min after they opened. They either sold out, didn’t put them out or didn’t have them. Do these books get evenly distributed across the country? Maybe that’s why you didn’t see the Godzilla book? (shrug)

On 5/4/2024 at 4:00 PM, Robot Man said:

I also got the Popeye one but forgot it in the photo. There is a list on line. My store gets them all but orders less of the ones they think people don’t want. My store is great. Within reason you can get one of anything you want. I always buy some stuff. This time a bunch of supplies on sale. I must have somehow missed Godzilla. It was a little crazy. 

Godzilla wasn't a normal FCBD book this year. That one on the pick is from a previous Halloween Trick or Read. That store probably just had leftovers. My LCS had leftover books from previous events they have out as well (different ones).

As for me, I live in a big city with lots of stores so I was able to grab a good number of books overall. Sorry for the lack of pics, but some I was excited for are Popeye (I hear it's surprisingly action packed and awesome), Street Fighter VS Final Fight, the Atlas book, TMNT (hoping Aaron makes it fun), and the Marvel Ultimates book. But there were a lot of good choices this year. I saw lots of families and kids at the shops, which is great.

On 5/4/2024 at 5:37 PM, BuraddoRun said:

Godzilla wasn't a normal FCBD book this year. That one on the pick is from a previous Halloween Trick or Read. That store probably just had leftovers. My LCS had leftover books from previous events they have out as well (different ones).

Yeah, I just noticed this as I read it, thanks for the info! One I didn’t get but made me laugh in the store was one titled Barkum Asylum. :roflmao:

I have a LOT coming in from MCS with an order I placed yesterday.  It seems like the Atlas one is in demand, at least among those who are priced out of an actual Venus #19.  It's still an amazing image.

My local store didn't get than title in, sadly, but I should get it in my order.

Posted (edited)

Our LCS ("Players" in Moreno Valley, CA) lets everyone get 3 FCBD titles. Usually, I bring my wife with me so we get three more, but she's visiting family this weekend, so no doubling up this time. That's OK, though, that's more left over for the kids, and there were lots of them there! 

I chose Popeye, Star Wars (Vader/Luke), and Mad Magazine. I probably would've got Doctor Who, Conan, and Unico with 3 more selections. I didn't see the Unico, but even though I got there fairly early, there were a few empty spots, so maybe those ran out? My subscription service is supposed to send me the Archie Comics horror title since I regularly pre-order that line, but we'll see...

I also got a set of the 4 UltraMan trading cards, pretty cool for them to make those specifically for FCBD

The store usually has some nice half price comic sets for this event, and this year I bought Multiversity (9 Books) by Grant Morrison for $22.50 and Strangers In Paradise (Abstract 1-14) for 10 bucks. I also picked up 5 sharp newsstand copies (at $5 each) of the original Bongo Comics Simpsons "Krusty the Clown" #1 and a Now Comics "Fright Night 3-D" newsstand bagged with glasses, also 5 bucks. No purchase necessary for the 3 free books, but since I bought stuff, I got a raffle ticket which was good for a Star Wars Poe Dameron #6 1:25 variant, so a nice freebee at the end there. 

This store has been in Moreno Valley for over 20 years (across two different locations), but I actually met Adam, the owner, about 30 years ago when he was working at his dad's shop, the original (long gone) Players on Magnolia Avenue in Riverside, CA. I asked him today when his dad opened that store and he said 1984 (before which, he sold comics at swap meets and the like). Anyway, between those two generations, they've operated a comic shop locally here non-stop for 40 years now. I congratulated him on that fact, and wished him a whole lot more. He must be doing something right! 

Edited by jdandns

On 5/4/2024 at 6:09 PM, jdandns said:

That's OK, though, that's more left over for the kids, and there were lots of them there! 

It was nice to see my LCS full of kids for a change! Even though I didn’t see all the books mentioned so far, there was a big enough selection that everyone was happy with their picks. 

On 5/4/2024 at 6:32 PM, Jayman said:

It was nice to see my LCS full of kids for a change!

Was just going to ask about that as I just saw a local news report from a LCS and it was full of kids and their parents.

On 5/4/2024 at 7:21 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Was just going to ask about that as I just saw a local news report from a LCS and it was full of kids and their parents.

My oldest grandson is 16. My youngest is my granddaughter at 7. They all found something they wanted in the free comics and they all went home with a $2 Funko Pop. They were all happy! :headbang: