• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SCHOMBURG - like you've never seen him! CLOSED
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1st :takeit: takes it

No probies or HOS

Paypal, check

Returns within 7 days of receipt, shipping back on you

Shipping will be $20 USPS Ground Advantage Signature Confirmation to CONUS only and to listed PayPal address

Edited by Dr. Love

For sale are two bound books, Everyday Astrology and Your Prophecy.  

Before and after his work on comics, Schomburg drew covers for Ned Pines and Better Publications on the monthly periodical Everyday Astrology for about 20 years, starting in 1938, and the annual periodical Your Prophecy. Because these titles spanned so much time, they capture many if not all of his stylistic changes, including some not seen in other venues: art deco, classic, Dali, Xela.  If you've ever wondered what Schomburg's illustration work really looked like, you won't find it in comics - he didn't do interiors.  But he did draw interiors for his real monthly gig on Everyday Astrology.  Small illustrations, quarter panels, half page splashes, technical astrological charts - Schomburg the artist comes alive in this work.

Arguably his best illustrative work was reserved for his largest audience.  There is no doubt that the astrology market far eclipsed the comic book market at that time.  Adult readers vs children, and a market far more discerning for illustration style.

Book grading is it's own thing, which I don't really get.  To my eye, these two books are in fine condition overall.  The spines aren't cracked and the covers (or "boards as they are called") show minimal fraying at the top and bottom of the spines from standing vertically on a bookshelf for a zillion years.  But these are bound books - so the magazines inside have been trimmed of course.  The pages are tanning on the edges and inside borders.  Some pages, especially in the Your Prophecy book, are slightly brittle at the edges.  But for the most part they remain quite supple.

Pricing is hard.  There are no real objective standards, other than what they're worth to me.  You can't find better examples of Schomburg's realistic hand than these magazines, and you can't find them in any type of condition in the wild.  These bound books are it - absolutely unreplaceable.  Bound books are becoming more popular as the years have gone by - HA just auctioned two bound books containing 11 romance comics for $600.

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 10:00 AM, shadroch said:

:takeit:

Nicely done and thanks. Everyday Astrology is SOLD

Edited by Dr. Love

On 5/5/2024 at 11:47 AM, Dr. Love said:

For sale are two bound books, Everyday Astrology and Your Prophecy.  

Before and after his work on comics, Schomburg drew covers for Ned Pines and Better Publications on the monthly periodical Everyday Astrology for about 20 years, starting in 1938, and the annual periodical Your Prophecy. Because these titles spanned so much time, they capture many if not all of his stylistic changes, including some not seen in other venues: art deco, classic, Dali, Xela.  If you've ever wondered what Schomburg's illustration work really looked like, you won't find it in comics - he didn't do interiors.  But he did draw interiors for his real monthly gig on Everyday Astrology.  Small illustrations, quarter panels, half page splashes, technical astrological charts - Schomburg the artist comes alive in this work.

Arguably his best illustrative work was reserved for his largest audience.  There is no doubt that the astrology market far eclipsed the comic book market at that time.  Adult readers vs children, and a market far more discerning for illustration style.

Book grading is it's own thing, which I don't really get.  To my eye, these two books are in fine condition overall.  The spines aren't cracked and the covers (or "boards as they are called") show minimal fraying at the top and bottom of the spines from standing vertically on a bookshelf for a zillion years.  But these are bound books - so the magazines inside have been trimmed of course.  The pages are tanning on the edges and inside borders.  Some pages, especially in the Your Prophecy book, are slightly brittle at the edges.  But for the most part they remain quite supple.

Pricing is hard.  There are no real objective standards, other than what they're worth to me.  You can't find better examples of Schomburg's realistic hand than these magazines, and you can't find them in any type of condition in the wild.  These bound books are it - absolutely unreplaceable.  Bound books are becoming more popular as the years have gone by - HA just auctioned two bound books containing 11 romance comics for $600.

These are gorgeous, Doc.  I believe there were some other shorter running Pines Astrology titles that might have popped up as well (Your Personal Astrology?), and I agree the subject matter fits his style.  I honestly prefer these covers and illustrations to most of his comic work - heresy, I know.  There's some truly fantastic covers in those 20 years (riffs on Dali, a mix of wartime propaganda and cosmic iconography, experiments in airbrushing, etc.), and the splash work is detailed and contemplative. 

Astrology magazines were a very stable market from the 30s into the 50s and many of our comics publishers participated.  Pines, Ace, Gleason, Goodman off the top of my head, and I'm sure just about everybody else was represented, too.  In these magazines, you can find all sorts of neat appearances from the world of pulp and comics illustration (even if some of the more boring magazines - which the Pines magazines are not - are just charts and tables).

As for the price you're offering here, I think that's excellent, too.  Comic book dealers who have caught on will sell them for one or two hundred bucks an issue.  Sure, there's the typical matter of the bound volume being trimmed, but you also get the excellent preservation offered by the binding not to mention the easy readability factor.  Great offer!

On 5/5/2024 at 5:17 PM, Dr. Love said:

indeed - Buy War Bonds July 1943

not your father's Marvel Mystery Comics - but I like it like it, yes I do

NFS by the way, a guy's gotta draw the line somewhere!

EAJul43fc100.jpg.26a2ce361ca6471593576b273b970b54.jpg

Truly awesome cover