• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine 50th anniversary signing
7 7

116 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2024 at 5:02 PM, DanJD said:

My 9.8 is coming back 9.6 and has some spine ticks and bends that weren’t there when I sent it in.  Some from the image look like they should have been removed from the press I waited and paid for.  Very happy with the signatures and placement though and like how their signature colors match Wolverine’s hair! 

IMG_1426.jpeg

Im also getting back stuff from this signing event that has a bunch of spine ticks and bends that were 100% not there when i sent them in (or else i wouldnt have sent them).  On the flip side of that, i also got back a double signed X-Men 138 that has 3 color breaking spine tick/bends now that werent there before, but its graded 9.8.   Im about to send multiple books back to be re-pressed and graded.  

Still waiting… one sub stuck in G/QC, other in SFG. Been 8 weeks now since the signing wrapped. Although based on what some of you are reporting with damage and sigs missing I’ll take late at this point…

On 7/3/2024 at 4:02 PM, DanJD said:

My 9.8 is coming back 9.6 and has some spine ticks and bends that weren’t there when I sent it in.  Some from the image look like they should have been removed from the press I waited and paid for.  Very happy with the signatures and placement though and like how their signature colors match Wolverine’s hair! 

IMG_1426.jpeg

My book was delivered today.  Very disappointed with how CGC handled my book.  It came back with 5 spine ticks (three color breaking) when I sent it there with none and was shipped in the graded comic slab.  I probably should not have sent a 9.8 graded book in to begin with, but even if it was a high quality raw book, the outcome would have been the same.  I expected them to realize these are people’s important belongings and not man handle them.  Zero care when handling the book to cause that much damage.

On 7/8/2024 at 3:56 PM, DanJD said:

My book was delivered today.  Very disappointed with how CGC handled my book.  It came back with 5 spine ticks (three color breaking) when I sent it there with none and was shipped in the graded comic slab.  I probably should not have sent a 9.8 graded book in to begin with, but even if it was a high quality raw book, the outcome would have been the same.  I expected them to realize these are people’s important belongings and not man handle them.  Zero care when handling the book to cause that much damage.

Also, it doesn’t look like it was pressed at all…

Posted (edited)

What a horror story.  I sent in a xmen #94 in slabbed 9.0 grade and had it pressed too (for Claremont signature).  For two weeks it’s been stuck in grading/ encapsulation.  Cgc rep told me yesterday it’s already been graded, just waiting for encapsulation.  Now I just checked, it’s in grading/quality control so it’s nearly ready to ship to me.  My book hasn’t been pressed before and I really think if pressed properly it would jump to a 9.2 or 9.4.

Edited by melanrus

Posted (edited)

Also I’ve dropped a 9.8 book before that was bagged and board only and it created pretty much same spine creases as your Wolverine 9.6 has.  (I tried to grab it mid air so that just made it worse) Just happened month ago (not a very valuable book that got creased).  Just a theory.

Edited by melanrus

On 7/9/2024 at 9:24 AM, melanrus said:

Also I’ve dropped a 9.8 book before that was bagged and board only and it created pretty much same spine creases as your Wolverine 9.6 has.  (I tried to grab it mid air so that just made it worse) Just happened month ago (not a very valuable book that got creased).  Just a theory.

Yeah.  Something didn’t go correctly.  That can’t be normal handling that caused that amount of damage.  Here is another picture of more damage towards the top in the light.  Is that what a freshly pressed book is supposed to look like?  

IMG_1460.jpeg

That doesn’t even look 9.6 with all those creases and it does make me unsure how the book was pressed and by someone with much experience?   Just shocked at the creases. 

On 7/9/2024 at 7:20 AM, melanrus said:

Now I just checked, it’s in grading/quality control so it’s nearly ready to ship to me. 

One sub has been in this status for this signing since 6/26 for me… so I’m not sure how near shipping G/QC really is at this point. 

On 7/9/2024 at 10:38 AM, melanrus said:

That doesn’t even look 9.6 with all those creases and it does make me unsure how the book was pressed and by someone with much experience?   Just shocked at the creases. 

It was brought to my attention by another member that there might be an issue with the inner well bending books.  I checked my book and as you can see, the entire book is curved in the inner well.  This would explain the difference in appearance of the book when it arrived versus the CGC imaging right after encapsulation.  I hope no one else experiences this if this is real.

IMG_1471.jpeg

On 7/9/2024 at 10:42 AM, DanJD said:

Yeah.  Something didn’t go correctly.  That can’t be normal handling that caused that amount of damage.  Here is another picture of more damage towards the top in the light.  Is that what a freshly pressed book is supposed to look like?  

IMG_1460.jpeg

Almost every single book i sent in for the signing is coming back like this.  All were supposed to be pressed and none of them had spine ticks going in.  I just sent 11 back to CGC yesterday to be pressed again but 18 more showed up today all with spine ticks in the same exact spots so now im getting ahold of Customer Service.  

Edit - even the 3 books graded 9.8 out of the 18 have spine ticks

Edited by DaveSFU

On 7/10/2024 at 2:19 PM, DaveSFU said:

Almost every single book i sent in for the signing is coming back like this.  All were supposed to be pressed and none of them had spine ticks going in.  I just sent 11 back to CGC yesterday to be pressed again but 18 more showed up today all with spine ticks in the same exact spots so now im getting ahold of Customer Service

That is terrible.  Sorry to hear that.  Check the side of the slab to see if it’s warped.  Attached is another picture that’s a little clearer.

IMG_1475.jpeg

On 7/10/2024 at 3:25 PM, DanJD said:

That is terrible.  Sorry to hear that.  Check the side of the slab to see if it’s warped.  Attached is another picture that’s a little clearer.

IMG_1475.jpeg

Yep,  every single one is warped.  

On 7/10/2024 at 3:25 PM, DanJD said:

IMG_1475.jpeg

Thats 100% normal. Every single slab I have is like that and I have hundreds. That is just how the books sit in the slab and more an illusion that they are warped.

On 7/10/2024 at 7:14 PM, Gator Guru said:

Thats 100% normal. Every single slab I have is like that and I have hundreds. That is just how the books sit in the slab and more an illusion that they are warped.

I don’t know what your books look like, but all of these are 9.8s of mine from various years and look pretty straight to me.  I would call that far from normal.  

IMG_1524.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg

IMG_1521.jpeg