• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine 50th anniversary signing
7 7

116 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2024 at 9:31 PM, DaveSFU said:

Yes i talked to someone at CS and they are having me send photos right now.   I let them know its a known problem thats been talked about on here before and linked them to the old thread.  What happens though if something presses and grades lower than it did the first time?   I have multiple 9.8 graded books, including one with a $5000 value, that now contain color breaking spine issues that i have no interest in getting back at a lower grade.    

You get cgc credit to use after you prove the $ difference from the lower grade to what it was before. At least this is what I got before.

Anyone else still waiting on books? 10 weeks since signing now.

On 7/16/2024 at 10:16 AM, wiparker824 said:

Anyone else still waiting on books? 10 weeks since signing now.

My two Wolvy #1's both just moved to grading/quality control. My two Star Wars #1's arrived yesterday.

So I submitted 18 books for this signing.  I’ve received 17 so far . Most of the books I sent were previously slabbed. What a let down. Xmen 244 went from 9.6 to 9.4 Xmen vol2 #2 from 9.8 to 9.6 Xmen 266 went from 9.6 to 9.4 the dark knight returns #1 went from 9.8 to 9.6 and the worst of the grade losses Xmen 221. I sent it in at 9.4 and got it back 8.5. I am not happy at all. I’m still waiting on Wolverine lim series number 1.  I sent that it with a grade of 9.0. Who knows what it’s gonna come back as.  DO BETTER CGC. 

Whoever was overseeing this entire signing, cgc really needs to think about whether that person should be in that position, along with everybody else. I've seen mistakes but this signing in particular seems to have an excessive ridiculous amount. There's the posts that are on this page, and then there's also posts of completely different books on Reddit and various Facebook groups and on Instagram.

A couple screw-ups, sure. But once you start getting over 30 screwed up books, especially after all the bad press they've gotten, is unacceptable. 

I spoke to them at length about mine yesterday and they outright refused to give me contact information for a supervisor until they do their investigation. I've never had a business refuse to put you in touch with somebody who is actually capable of making decisions.

On 7/19/2024 at 10:57 AM, lollyclown said:

Whoever was overseeing this entire signing, cgc really needs to think about whether that person should be in that position, along with everybody else. I've seen mistakes but this signing in particular seems to have an excessive ridiculous amount. There's the posts that are on this page, and then there's also posts of completely different books on Reddit and various Facebook groups and on Instagram.

A couple screw-ups, sure. But once you start getting over 30 screwed up books, especially after all the bad press they've gotten, is unacceptable. 

I spoke to them at length about mine yesterday and they outright refused to give me contact information for a supervisor until they do their investigation. I've never had a business refuse to put you in touch with somebody who is actually capable of making decisions.

That’s terrible.  This signing has been a disaster for many people, and CGC doesn’t seem to care.

Here's an update on my fiasco, I posted it on another thread but in case that gets missed here it is. 

So here's an update, I had to contact them via text for some clarification on how to send this incorrect book back to them, the CSR said they were going to look up my ticket and then started asking me questions about what happened and how I got the wrong book... Like they did not see anything in the notes. I told them to go back and reread the whole thing and that I don't need him to talk to me about it because he doesn't know anything, and just answer my questions about how to ship the book back. Still kept trying to ask me questions about what happened and I told him you know what I'll figure it out myself and the next person I want to hear from is a supervisor replying to my email by the end of their business day at 8:00 p.m. EST today or I was going to take printouts of all these texts where they have refused to speak to a supervisor multiple times, and go to my bank and begin the chargeback process for everything I've given to them. Guess what? 15 minutes later get an email from a supervisor. When they lose your book it's no big hurry to talk to you about it but when you threaten their money they are immediately on it. His response was a whole bunch of non-answers and asked me to call him, to which I responded no because I want everything to do with this in writing. I don't want to get some phone promise and no way to verify it if somebody disagrees with it.

On 7/18/2024 at 6:42 PM, lollyclown said:

Here's the joke I  got back from that signing. Was getting Marvel Superheroes 20 signed by Roy Thomas, my favorite book in my entire collection. Here's what I got today 

PXL_20240718_210026709.jpg

PXL_20240718_210022793.jpg

PXL_20240718_210020858.jpg

Wow.  That sucks.  I thought they really screwed up when my Wolverine 1 only got 2 of 5 signatures.  I didn’t think they could top that mess.  It is amazing that they can never give a reason for any of these mess ups.  I never got an explanation on why the book never got signed by the other 3 people.  Hope everything works out for you and don’t let them off the hook.

On 7/20/2024 at 6:22 PM, Geo1138 said:

Wow.  That sucks.  I thought they really screwed up when my Wolverine 1 only got 2 of 5 signatures.  I didn’t think they could top that mess.  It is amazing that they can never give a reason for any of these mess ups.  I never got an explanation on why the book never got signed by the other 3 people.  Hope everything works out for you and don’t let them off the hook.

Not even joking, when I finally got a supervisor to answer my email the very first thing they said was they are sorry this happened and they were working to take steps to make sure this doesn't happen in the future...

Not anything to do with how they were going to compensate me, what steps they were going to take find my book, any remote explanation of what money possibly happened. They just felt it was good to lead with letting me know they'll make sure this doesn't have someone else. 

Then they wanted me to call them, to which I said no, because I absolutely want everything to do with this in writing. I don't want to get some bogus promise over the phone and not have it honored when I talk to somebody else who has no idea what I'm talking about.

I see people talk about the great customer service they get from cgc but this is two incidents of in a row where I have gotten appalling customer service. Like Walmart return counter customer service levels. 

On 7/20/2024 at 3:31 PM, Otter1775 said:

Good afternoon, everyone. Just got my book back from the signing. Not happy about the grade, but oh well. Sorry to read about the fiasco some are going through. CGC lost one of my books last year for a J. Scott Campbell signing. Received credit. 

IMG_5836.jpeg

Glad you got your book back, sucks about the grade and sucks even more that they lost a book of yours. It's pretty insulting that they offer credit. I don't want credit from them because I never plan not using them again.

"Hey we screwed things up and you don't have your book anymore but here's some credit to use our service again!" lol yeah no.

Edited by lollyclown

On 7/21/2024 at 10:30 AM, lollyclown said:

Glad you got your book back, sucks about the great evening and sucks even more that they lost a book of yours. It's pretty insulting that they offer credit. I don't want credit from them because I never plan not using them again.

"Hey we screwed things up and you don't have your book anymore but here's some credit to use our service again!" lol yeah no.

I do not understand why they are trying to give you a credit instead of a refund plus compensation.  The lack of accountability on their part is astonishing considering they lost your book.

They gave me a partial refund without any problems.  The book was sent back a couple of weeks ago to get an accurate label.  Hopefully I won’t have another issue whenever it comes back.
 The whole process has been frustrating for me and makes me not want to use them again after reading about your issue and all of the other mess ups.
 I am still wondering how I can have 5 signatures witnessed but only 2 make on the comic.  Here is a picture of it for everyone to see.

IMG_0557.thumb.png.5c3cf6f325340e5a056e5e0f929176d6.png

On 7/21/2024 at 10:00 AM, Geo1138 said:

I do not understand why they are trying to give you a credit instead of a refund plus compensation.  The lack of accountability on their part is astonishing considering they lost your book.

They gave me a partial refund without any problems.  The book was sent back a couple of weeks ago to get an accurate label.  Hopefully I won’t have another issue whenever it comes back.
 The whole process has been frustrating for me and makes me not want to use them again after reading about your issue and all of the other mess ups.
 I am still wondering how I can have 5 signatures witnessed but only 2 make on the comic.  Here is a picture of it for everyone to see.

IMG_0557.thumb.png.5c3cf6f325340e5a056e5e0f929176d6.png

Yeah, only two out of five is just baffling, considering everybody was literally in the same room. They have videos of it on their Instagram.

On 7/21/2024 at 9:30 AM, lollyclown said:

Glad you got your book back, sucks about the grade and sucks even more that they lost a book of yours. It's pretty insulting that they offer credit. I don't want credit from them because I never plan not using them again.

I agree.  A credit is not acceptable.  In my case, there will most likely be damage from the warped inner well that can’t be pressed out.  I would be shocked if the grade is not lower.  This is for my PC not to flip.  I will need to be getting cash back from CGC to use towards buying a replacement book.  A credit of the difference in value does me no good.

On 7/21/2024 at 11:44 AM, DanJD said:

I agree.  A credit is not acceptable.  In my case, there will most likely be damage from the warped inner well that can’t be pressed out.  I would be shocked if the grade is not lower.  This is for my PC not to flip.  I will need to be getting cash back from CGC to use towards buying a replacement book.  A credit of the difference in value does me no good.

Same, this is not a flip book. But because of steadily building hype of Doom showing up in the MCU, and rumors get heavier about casting, this book is rapidly getting out of my reach to replace and once he hits, I'll never be able to afford this. A 5.5/6 is almost double what I got mine for already, and they all have that ugly spine roll that squarebound 64 page books that are 50+ years old get. It took me FOREVER to find one without that happening. Once it gets mushed over to a certain point it can't be fully corrected with a press, and certainly not by CGC's mediocre pressing.

On 7/21/2024 at 10:30 AM, lollyclown said:

Once again, Lollyclown, sorry about what you're going through. Thankfully, it wasn't a high value book, but still. Hope you get your situation rectified and made right too!

On 7/21/2024 at 10:30 PM, Otter1775 said:

Once again, Lollyclown, sorry about what you're going through. Thankfully, it wasn't a high value book, but still. Hope you get your situation rectified and made right too!

It's extremely high value to me on a personal level. I'd given up my entire collection in about 2010 to help finance across country move. All I had left of my comic books were a handful of trades and handful of signal and issues from what used to be a bookshelf full of trades and 12 Long boxes from the mid 80s up to 2009. About 8 months ago I decided to start rebuilding my collection, being really selective. This book and Avengers 25 were the first two on my list for a multitude of personal and nostalgic reasons.

On a financial level getting this book and paying for the signing was also not easy. Always keep in mind one person's cheap is another's expensive.

Edited by lollyclown