• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does page "off white" effect numerical geade?
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Could be a lot of reasons - grades aren't only based on page quality. hm

If the books are exactly the same beyond the page quality, then I don't see why 'off white' would grade higher than 'white'.

Cream-Off White, OW-White & White Pages will have no affect on a book's grade. 

Other flaws will.

On 5/7/2024 at 3:24 PM, zach1900 said:

Teenage mutant Ninja turtles number one first run. 8.0 off-white, is that considered good or average for a modern book?

That's all relative. There is no "good or average" for a modern book. Depends on the issue. 

I'd say you have a solid copy of that book at that grade. 

Off-white designation has no bearing on the numerical grade. 

Thanks, I assumed the off-white -white designation ect did factor into the numerical grade. Mainly color breaks were noted, I did pay to have it pressed and clean but I don't know if either of those actually happened or not.

The 8.0-9.0 range is qualitatively an "excellent" copy.

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 4:24 PM, zach1900 said:

Teenage mutant Ninja turtles number one first run. 8.0 off-white, is that considered good or average for a modern book?

Are you looking to compare it to all modern books? (that might be tricky) or just copies of the same book? You can see the number of books per grade via the CGC Census - here it is for TMNT #1 1st print: 

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?ComicID=5000360

There are 150 total graded 8.0s.

But yeah - for that book, I'd be super happy with an 8.0 - congrats!

Edited by dbcn

I bought it raw assuming it was going to be a 9.0 plus, looks like I might break even if I sell it. Oh well I wanted to hold on to it but thanks for all your help guys

On 5/7/2024 at 2:32 PM, zach1900 said:

Thanks, I assumed the off-white -white designation ect did factor into the numerical grade. Mainly color breaks were noted, I did pay to have it pressed and clean but I don't know if either of those actually happened or not.

Page quality shouldn't affect grade.  Pressing and cleaning can help a book but not every book.  If you think about the pressing process - applying humidity and heat and pressure - bends divots etc can be addressed but a color break that breaks the ink can not be repaired.  The ink has been damaged and the only way to address that is color touch which will get you a restored label.

On 5/7/2024 at 4:56 PM, thehumantorch said:

Page quality shouldn't affect grade.  Pressing and cleaning can help a book but not every book.  If you think about the pressing process - applying humidity and heat and pressure - bends divots etc can be addressed but a color break that breaks the ink can not be repaired.  The ink has been damaged and the only way to address that is color touch which will get you a restored label.

Yes this book was originally an impulse buy for me, then I started getting paranoid that I had a counterfeit, even though all indications were it was not. Here's my thought with a modern book that has off-white pages that's otherwise a pretty good decent grade. It sat in less than ideal conditions i.e humidity but it wasn't handled much. I guessed it as a 9 about 10 years ago

On 5/7/2024 at 4:18 PM, zach1900 said:

Yes this book was originally an impulse buy for me, then I started getting paranoid that I had a counterfeit, even though all indications were it was not. Here's my thought with a modern book that has off-white pages that's otherwise a pretty good decent grade. It sat in less than ideal conditions i.e humidity but it wasn't handled much. I guessed it as a 9 about 10 years ago

Well, if it's the real deal and you will break essentially even you're not in a bad place.  God knows most of us have made buys that worked out a whole lot worse.

Don't put too much attention to the page designation.  We've seen lots of books where the page designation changed when regraded.  CGC just doesn't seem to be consistent on page quality.  

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure 9.9s and 10s can't have page quality below White.

I can't explain those old slabs.

Edited by grendelbo

Posted (edited)

My opinion OW/W totally 100% fine for 9.8 but 9.9 or 10 must have White.

I'd bet heavily that if both those ROM's were cracked and re-subbed they would now get White pages, I've seen  it many many times with older slabs.  However the books would also come back graded 9.8, given their current grade appears to be a true gift!

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/7/2024 at 5:02 PM, grendelbo said:

My error. 10s need White Pages. 9.9 can have OW.

On 5/7/2024 at 6:02 PM, grendelbo said:

Tens must have white pages. 

9.9s can have ow. 

On 5/7/2024 at 9:06 PM, newshane said:

Tens must have white pages. 

9.9s can have ow. 

On 5/7/2024 at 5:23 PM, grendelbo said:

My error. 10s need White Pages. 9.9 can have OW.

Yep.