• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brown Spot? Foxing, staining, or just humidity damage?
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Hey folks

Trying to expand my knowledge, and got a question for you all.

What type of defect is the circled spot on the book below?  I’m providing a non-zoomed in pic too for reference.

It looks like some type of stain or foxing??  What do you folks think?  Thanks as always!

IMG_2038.thumb.jpeg.77e20ad06b05adc1a336aa82bac98c18.jpegIMG_2009.thumb.png.92de786a0e534e428c9ea548112a96f0.png

On 5/8/2024 at 7:52 PM, Cnight said:

@The Lions Den more just confused by what exactly is on that bit of the book?  Whatevs; it be what it be!

Just curious what the flip it could be that would permit a 9.6…..

Its more likely to be just some light discoloration or super light foxing which could have been what kept it from 9.8. 

I always struggle with stains and foxing. Sometimes it's obvious that it's foxing and other times it's like this example. Even with book in hand it can be hard to tell. If it's on the outside only, and given the grade, I'm guessing foxing in this case. CGC doesn't hit foxing as hard as stains.