• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Failure: Books of the Never Was..
3 3

62 posts in this topic

On 11/05/2024 at 17:45, cyclonus11 said:

image.png.960663f32e27d2ba18a5c3ed2408fc75.png

Firstly a video game franchise... and pretty succesfull. I not agree for this one.

On 5/11/2024 at 7:57 PM, Qalyar said:

cheetahmen.png.263ade2bbcfb1314ada24c7d3d704b78.png

Thats one of the badest things in ever seen

On 5/11/2024 at 4:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It might have changed at this point, but it took a while to get there, I guess. :) 

GetImage.aspx?c=5161246&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

Great series, relaunched as Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur in the 2010s.

On 5/11/2024 at 4:21 PM, Cman429 said:

I remember seeing this on the spinner rack at Krogers and even though I wasn’t “smart” about comics, I knew Ditko created Spider-Man. “OMG it’s the next Spider-Man!” Spoiler: He was not the next Spider-Man.

IMG_4844.webp

During Civil War he became Penance and later a member of The Thunderbolts.

73dcdcab6874b5cd37877639b8e4780d.png

On 5/11/2024 at 3:52 AM, Jayman said:

Stalker # 1.jpg

Very nice Wood / Ditko artwork in this series.

On 5/11/2024 at 6:39 PM, Qalyar said:

However bad you think it is from the cover, it's worse. A scan is available on the Internet Archive.

Don't say you weren't warned.

There were Cheetahmen video games as well, for the NES. The first one was awful and part of the Action 52 multicart. The sequel was awful, and unfinished/unreleased, though some were made and sat in a warehouse. 

On 5/11/2024 at 7:17 PM, october said:

There were Cheetahmen video games as well, for the NES. The first one was awful and part of the Action 52 multicart. The sequel was awful, and unfinished/unreleased, though some were made and sat in a warehouse. 

That's actually where that book came from. It was (originally; there was a warehouse find later) primarily as a pack-in with the NES Action 52 multicart. The creator of that nonsense really thought he had The Next Big Thing there. Needless to say, he was wrong. I mean... look at it.

Those advertised action figures never existed.

Didn't realize that was a pack in.

I think I saw a short documentary about the creator. Probably on YouTube somewhere...

On 5/11/2024 at 7:23 PM, thehumantorch said:

How was this not a hit?

The fact that they got sued by Hooters for using the name without permission (they didn't even try) may have had something to do with it. To be fair though, they apparently sold out their print run (7000, reportedly) before the lawsuit resolved, so... it kinda was a success anyway.

On 5/11/2024 at 9:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

891185.jpg

If only they’d hired Jim Starlin, how different might it have been?

The guy sitting on the right looks like Stan.

C'mon now... there are scores of lousy "can't fail to miss" books of all eras.  I resist allowing this thread to die.  

Created by Byrne, the Great Lakes Avengers, which included Dinah Soar, Big Bertha, Doorman and Flatman (all are actual superhero names) incredibly didn't catch on.  And these were "good" core members.   A Pulp Fiction gimp-like recruit named Leather Boy was turned down, though to be fair he had no super powers and thought it was a fetish group.  You can't make this stuff up.  Actually I guess you can, but it doesn't sell.

gla1.JPG