• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Storage Issues.

24 posts in this topic

I suppose most of you guys know this already, but I figure, hey why not have a thread on issues relating to comic storage. Here's mine:

Fluorescent Lights or Why is my red now yellow!!!

I have here a few images to give you an idea, what fluorescent lights do to inks on paper.

Here is an example of a section of calendar that has been exposed to fluorescent lights for approximately 5 years:

photo_cal_mar_2000.jpg

Here is one from 1999 that has not been exposed to fluorescent lights:

photo_cal_mar_1999.jpg

So, you can see fluorescents + paper and ink <> mix!!!!

No, but they are awfully, awfully faint. Note the red line at the top. This area was covered by picture frame. So, that gives you an idea of how, deep the red was before being exposed. Even though, today's comics are a little more resilient, this still becomes an issue. I know of someone who has a Framed Uncle Scrooge McDuck in a frame. I looked at the comic when removed and the color on the back was fairly vibrant but you could tell the front color had faded significantly.

Well, I know the DC Vertigos I have have held up well but I have kept those out of fluorescent lighting. It would take me a year to get the exposure to the point where it would be noticeable. I think, I will try to do that. So, to answer your question: wait a year and I will have something. Of course, some other forum members might have an example sitting in their collection.

That is a very good example. Store owners or collectors who display their comics on the walls with that type of lighting probably will find their collection damaged after the years. I remember going into a shop about 5 years ago who had thousands of comics on the walls, tons of key issues all in beautiful shape. Each comic book had half of the comic book blocked from the light by another comic and the area that was open to the light was bleached out.

Old fart didn't seem to care at all, or even think I knew what I was talking about. Such a shame.

What about the newer comics with the high gloss paper? Say, like Marvel's Ultimate Universe books? Any word on those?

Yea. "Worhtless in any condition" is the word on those.

whoa....chanelling JC there.

insane.gif

Good example, Timulty. Maybe the best example of why a book should not be stored anywhere that it can experience prolonged exposure to UV radiation (direct or indirect sunlight, fluorescent bulbs, etc.) is the Larson pedigree copy of Marvel Comics #1. It sold in the 1991 Sotheby's auction to a baseball card dealer, who displayed it. The colors faded, and a formerly-VF copy of this great book is now nowhere near as brilliant as it once was.

Thanks for the example Timulty. thumbsup2.gif

I did some research to look for an answer to what you are showing in your pictures.

I found the following on the State library of Victoria's Website. It is rather long but I though that it may be of interest to some of you as it talks a bit about flouro lights vs incandecent bulbs.

Caring for works on paper

We all have papers in our homes – certificates, employment references, family letters, ephemera or artworks – that we wish to preserve. Damage to these can be prevented, and possibly costly treatment avoided or reduced, if some simple precautions are adopted.

Causes of damage

Paper is generally cellulose fibre, often from wood pulp with varying degrees of refinement and long-term stability. Papers range from ground-wood newsprint, which yellows in a matter of days, to high quality cotton rag papers, which hardly change over centuries.

One of the main enemies of paper is acid, either inherent in the fibre, introduced during manufacture or from subsequent contact with acidic materials such as wood, cardboard or atmospheric pollutants.

Another cause of damage is excessive drying, usually associated with heat, high humidity and over-exposure to light, either artificial or direct sunlight. These factors accelerate chemical reactions that cause deterioration and degradation. Some inks and other pigments are particularly susceptible to damage by light, especially ultra-violet light present in normal daylight and fluorescents. Incandescent globes emit less UV light but more heat.

Dust tends to absorb moisture, providing a suitable environment for mould growth. Stains caused by mould and the rusty spores known as ‘foxing’, which may be caused by chemical action of mould on metallic salts often present in paper, are not readily reversible. Both problems are exacerbated by humidity, so it is important to keep papers in a relatively dry environment with adequate circulation of air.

Handling originals and copies

Ensure that hands and surfaces are clean when handling paper. Surface dust may be gently removed with a soft brush or cloth, but any intensive cleaning can cause more problems than benefits. Use only soft lead pencils when annotating documents. Remove paperclips, staples, post-it style notes, etc.

Original papers which are frequently referred to can be carefully copied and then put away. Repeated photocopying or prolonged exposure to photographic lights is damaging, so additional copies should be taken from the duplicate.

Do not make copies on thermal fax paper, as this material is unstable and the print will fade.

With ordinary photocopies, polymer resins are fused to the paper surface to create the ‘print’. They can react with polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or other commonly used plastics, causing the image to transfer onto the plastic. To avoid this, do not use poor quality plastic sleeves, folders, etc (see recommendations following).

Storage methods and materials

Ideal conditions are difficult to achieve in the home environment, but minimising exposure to light, dust, heat and damp will help to preserve your documents. Sheds, roof-spaces and damp areas are not suitable for storing papers.

Sheet protectors and display books are convenient for storing originals or duplicates, but look for polypropylene or polyethylene products which are chemically inert. For delicate items, use an acid-free paper or card support, especially when inserting or withdrawing from envelopes.

Avoid laminating, which is an irreversible process of embedding a document in plastic and permanently alters unique items. Do not use pressure-sensitive adhesive tapes on tears, as they can cause bad stains and irreversible damage. In good housing, small tears can be lived with; otherwise, consult a conservator.

Archival storage containers with close-fitting lids provide a stable microclimate. They will keep out dust, light and pests and reduce fluctuations in temperature and humidity. Containers should be designed to fit the object so that it need not be folded or otherwise adapted to fit. Storage boxes need to be sturdy enough to withstand handling and the weight of the contents.

Large format material is best stored in a plan cabinet with shallow drawers. Interleave with strong acid-free paper and do not overfill drawers. Portfolios are suitable for smaller collections, if housed horizontally. Avoid rolling large items (e.g., maps); but if this is unavoidable, it is safer to roll around a large diameter tube which is then covered with a sturdy material and clearly labelled.

Mounting and framing

Prints and drawings, whether framed or not, should have a window mount. This protects the work from damage during storage and from fingerprints during handling. It also protects the work from contact with glazing, preventing condensation and mould growth.

Use good quality materials for mounting. Specify ‘museum quality’ or ‘conservation style’ mounts with separate front and backboard joined with cloth tape. Artwork is hinged to the backboard. This allows it to hang freely in the mount and react to changing atmospheric conditions. When commissioning picture framing, ask to see examples of the proposed style or consult a conservator who may be able to do the treatment or offer professional advice.

What about the newer comics with the high gloss paper? Say, like Marvel's Ultimate Universe books? Any word on those?

Yea. "Worhtless in any condition" is the word on those.

That's four words. Please be more carefuller in the future.

Yeah, I just cringe when I go into the LCS and see their comics hanging on the walls like that. I know, all it take is a year and your comic has easily dropped a grade.

Any store that has books on the wall for a year is a clubhouse or museum, not a shop...

Disregarding monkey's paw books (like my infamous Hulk 1, which might be improved by UV radiation), there is no sensible reason why a book should be on the wall of a shop for more than 2-4 months.

Either they have limited "wall-quality" books, their books are priced too high, and the inventory isn't turning (which means they shouldn't be in business in the first place).

Or they have plenty of "wall-quality" books and they are too lazy to rotate different books from the boxes to the wall and back (which means they don't understand the basics of merchandising and shouldn't be in business in the first place).

The median time books spent on the wall in my shops is just under 7 weeks. Any non-monkey's paw book that was up for more than 3 months was either sent to eBay in a no-reserve auction, or was pulled down to the boxes for a while and replaced with something else. Customers who visit a shop only every couple months should never get the impression that they could ship a visit and wouldn't miss much. I had folks driving 250 miles to my shop on a semi-regular basis and they rarely saw the same books on the wall from month to month (other than that [embarrassing lack of self control] Hulk 1 and a couple others).

And on a very minor note...

It costs next to nothing to buy enough UV protected plastic to convert all your drop-ceiling light diffusers into virtually UV-free light sources... If you can't retrofit a shop to incandescent lighting, there is no reason to not climb up a ladder and add a UV-barrier between the fluorescent bulbs and your comics.

Agreed, and any with a scanner can dupe an image of the book, or books,

print it out on photo paper, stick it in a poly bag with a couple of backing

boards, make a cute little handwritten sign that says something to the

effect of " display image only, ask your salesrep to see the real thing ! "

tape that to the outside of the bag and stick it up on the wall.

I did this 15 years ago when printing shops were getting $ 3 each for a

color copy....... had a beautiful wall.

Okay bad example for some people. But really, Marvel has switched some books to the high gloss paper stock over the years, like X-men, Wolverine, New Avengers and DC has some books like Green Lantern and JLA. Just wondering if light exposure will damage these types of books at a slower rate. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am thinking of picking up a new comic, leaving it out for 24 hour/day exposure to fluorescents and posting the images on a weekly basis. Anyone, want to see this?
Sure, I like seeing Moderns get hurt. popcorn.gif

I am thinking of picking up a new comic, leaving it out for 24 hour/day exposure to fluorescents and posting the images on a weekly basis. Anyone, want to see this?

I would love to see it, but I don't know what will happen. Will it be bagged/boarded or no?

We have one light in our warehouse that never goes off (some stupid law designed to waste my money) and I have comics back there and it seems after 2 years it has done nothing to it. I am not sure about the light though. It is one of those that takes 15 minutes to come on so would that be halogen or what?