• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christine Farrell - DC Collector RIP
4 4

136 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2024 at 7:14 AM, DanCooper said:

Looks like the first wave of Chris's collection (pre-the main one being discussed here with the Mile Highs) will be in the weekly Heritage auction - September 29th - October 1st:

https://comics.ha.com/c/search/results.zx?term=%22christine+farrell%22&si=2&dept=1938&live_state=5318~5319~5320~5323~5321~5324&auction_name=122440&sb=4&mode=live&page=50~1&layout=list

A lot of interesting stuff - hard to find titles (like Big Towns) lower grade keys like Brave & Bold 1, Jimmy Olsen 1, etc. A restored Showcase 4, which indicates there are dupes since an unrestored Showcase 4 will be in the main auction later in October.

Already multiple books with two copies from her collection being offered in the main auction. Not sure the rhyme or reason of the listings. Runs are being sold with big gaps. Presumably, they broke up the Showcase 4s to elevate the profile of the weekly. I'd guess they are breaking up runs to ease the pain on the buyers.

On 9/18/2024 at 10:30 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Any guesses on the final hammer for this one? The bidding will be fierce. 

It's a Mile High 9.6 white copy of one the books with the Action 1 ad. A 6.0 sold in 2022 for $16K or so. The 8.0 from the DC Universe Collection (now the third highest graded copy but the highest graded copy ever offered at auction when sold a few months ago) went for $25K to an astute poster here. Is this copy 3x or 4x more valuable? Bidders could see it so. The second highest graded is a 9.2. Is it a trophy? Yeah. Because of the Flessel underwater shark cover and the inside cover Action 1 ad does not hurt either (although it does not pre-date Action 1 the way the ads in three earlier DC's do).

Edited by sfcityduck

On 9/18/2024 at 1:30 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Any guesses on the final hammer for this one? The bidding will be fierce. 

A beauty of an 8.0 sold for 31,250 last March. There is a 9.2 in between but I see no record of it ever selling publically. I doubt it'll reach 100 large but it'll probably hit at least 60 or 70 small. By small I mean large. 

So I'm guessing Mrs. Farrell acquired most if not all her Church copies way back when. Like BCGC (Before CGC).  Or WBCGC (Way Before CGC).

On 9/19/2024 at 1:25 AM, Crowzilla said:

It was just a few months ago that Peter shared his joy in being able to acquire the 8.0 copy of NA27

I guess Peter will soon be sharing his joy in being able to sell the 8.0 copy of NA27.

Thanks for that sfcityduck. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Wonder Comics. Makes sense though that she would have it. Can't help wondering if the writing on top of the cover has any importance.

Opera Snapshot_2024-09-19_025352_comics.ha.com.png

lf (2).jpg

On 9/18/2024 at 11:59 PM, Professor K said:

Thanks for that sfcityduck. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Wonder Comics. Makes sense though that she would have it. Can't help wondering if the writing on top of the cover has any importance.

Great catch. Yeah, it does. Someone should page Zaid (beyond my skill set), because it likely means this comic is a court copy that was used as an exhibit in Detective Comics, Inc. v. Bruns Publications, Inc., 111 F.2d 432 (2d Cir. 1940) - the famous lawsuit by DC against Fox that put Wonder Man out of business in an attempt to stomp Superman imitators - or was a copy used by one of the legal teams.

This is a really historically important book. And the guy who specializes in this sort of thing - yeah it is Zaid.

PS: I realize I can post too much. It's a flaw. Just enjoy sharing the many bits of info, perhaps trivia, that I've acquired from a lifetime of enjoying this hobby. And on other threads I can fall prey to the weakness of enjoying an argument. Feel free to let me know if I'm thread bombing. My wife's telling me to give it a rest.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 9/19/2024 at 3:10 AM, sfcityduck said:

Great catch. Yeah, it does. Someone should page Zaid (beyond my skill set), because it likely means this comic is a court copy that was used as an exhibit in Detective Comics, Inc. v. Bruns Publications, Inc., 111 F.2d 432 (2d Cir. 1940) - the famous lawsuit by DC against Fox that put Wonder Man out of business in an attempt to stomp Superman imitators - or was a copy used by one of the legal teams.

This is a really historically important book. And the guy who specializes in this sort of thing - yeah it is Zaid.

PS: I realize I can post too much. It's a flaw. Just enjoy sharing the many bits of info, perhaps trivia, that I've acquired from a lifetime of enjoying this hobby. And on other threads I can fall prey to the weakness of enjoying an argument. Feel free to let me know if I'm thread bombing. My wife's telling me to give it a rest.

Ok ok it does say Bruns. I thought it might be related to the court case. It could be that someone just wrote that on there who knows when. I would think there would be (or maybe would have been) a copy with the district court stamp on it but I just looked up the 14 past sales I could find and didn't see it. Maybe this is it and Mrs. Farrell knew it. 

On 9/19/2024 at 1:12 AM, Professor K said:

Ok ok it does say Bruns. I thought it might be related to the court case. It could be that someone just wrote that on there who knows when. I would think there would be (or maybe would have been) a copy with the district court stamp on it but I just looked up the 14 past sales I could find and didn't see it. Maybe this is it and Mrs. Farrell knew it. 

The copies that would have had the D.Ct. stamp were likely those which were used as exhibits and placed into evidence, and stamps could also have been put on "conformed copies" for the attorneys or judge. The copies for the plaintiff counsel, defense counsel, and judge may or may not get stamped and they usually stay with the attorneys (the judge would probably throw his away unless he wanted a momento or a gift to a kid). Back then my guess that generally only the copy that was used for the witnesses would have a court stamp.  This copy looks like it was used by an attorney so they could read and view what the witness was seeing as that witness was being questioned on the exhibit.

I'm interpreting the pencil on the left to say "KC" or "KU".  This could be a reference to a legal counsel that represented Bruns/Fox in litigation with DC - Charles Kahn of Kahn Unger. Or it could be a reference to another legal counsel that represented Bruns/Fox - the Koenig firm. Or it could have been a reference to an associated defendant with Bruns/Fox - the Kable News Corp. Who knows? But my gut tells me it was associated with the lawsuit.

Edited by sfcityduck