• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christine Farrell - DC Collector RIP
6 6

186 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2024 at 8:21 PM, sfcityduck said:

I wonder if her heirs kept the D1 or if she left it to a museum or valued individual. After all, when it comes to a complete DC Collection - the comic to gift to someone you feel gratitude towards for helping the effort would be the D1 (or the New Fun 1, but her's is a rough restored copy).

That New Fun 1 should be an undercopy. I sold her a much nicer unrestored copy, I can't imagine she would have gotten rid of it.

On 9/20/2024 at 10:26 PM, Crowzilla said:

That New Fun 1 should be an undercopy. I sold her a much nicer unrestored copy, I can't imagine she would have gotten rid of it.

Interesting. So if I wanted to thanks someone(s) for helping me amass a complete DC collection, I'd leave him/her/them a D1, NF1 or both. I really now wonder if that happened. She said on video she sold nothing and given the dupes in the auction I believe it.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 9/20/2024 at 9:52 PM, tth2 said:

Her collection completely blows Levine's collection out of the water when it comes to quality, and it's not even close.  Sure his collection was more complete because it contained some esoteric books that no one cares about, but no one cares about them.  

1- Ian had a great collection in my option.  I have seen lots of his pictures, and he had nice stuff, and I don't care abought the grades as long as I have the copy I need.

2- I have always had joy in having a lower grade copy than upgrading sometimes it was more fun than getting the copy in the first place since I could sell under copy and get money back.

3- I have yet to see all her books but what I do see looks great and does seem to look better. I don't understand why there are a lot of people that don't like Ian, but I got along with him great just like I get along great with everyone here on the boards but there are people who care about what he had because he had nice stuff also IMO.

Edited by woowoo

On 9/21/2024 at 7:35 AM, Robot Man said:

Too bad she isn’t around to see this auction. But if she were, it probably wouldn’t be happening. I’d like to think she is up there smiling. A true passion for her. I just wouldn’t have the disapline (or the money)…

She does have great books and having them Raw to go thru brings me back to my early years when I could smell my books, and they smelled good.(thumbsu

On 9/21/2024 at 1:19 AM, sfcityduck said:

If you are a completest you care. But ultimately both collections are only "complete" as to newstand comics. Though both have cool ashcans and promos, neither can pretend to be complete as to either of those categories. Board members have bought books from Ian's collection, including me. But you are right that if price is not a deterrent, then Christine's got the trophy books.

No one cares that much.    Anyone would take Christine’s stuff over Ian’s , even Ian.    And that’s no slight to Ian, it’s just facts. 

I cam into the middle of this thread (After a two year hiatus from the boards) ... so forgive me for having missed one thing or another....

I believe I've seen the previously unknown (to me at least) New Adventure 27 MH/Church copy mentioned. What I'm not sure of seeing is the New Adventure 17 which was also not in the catalog and not in my list (which is admittedly years out of date.)  Additionally, there are three previously raw copies that are in the catalog, but hadn't been graded before.

new adventure comics,23,NM,$90.00 = CGC 8.5
new adventure comics,25,NM+,$110.00 = CGC 9.0
new adventure comics,28,NM+,$110.00 = CGC 9.4

I would love to know the path these books took to get into her collection. My lore on the books that didn't make the catalog is rusty (and was never that good to begin with, tbh) but it's interesting to see the two missing books and then the other three reunited in her collection.

*bought presumably because they were holes in her run and several of the other as-of-yet ungraded copies were left behind since she'd had copies? Where are those books? Who sold them? My brain hurts. 

On 9/21/2024 at 6:21 PM, rob_react said:

I cam into the middle of this thread (After a two year hiatus from the boards) ... so forgive me for having missed one thing or another....

I believe I've seen the previously unknown (to me at least) New Adventure 27 MH/Church copy mentioned. What I'm not sure of seeing is the New Adventure 17 which was also not in the catalog and not in my list (which is admittedly years out of date.)  Additionally, there are three previously raw copies that are in the catalog, but hadn't been graded before.

I would love to know the path these books took to get into her collection. My lore on the books that didn't make the catalog is rusty (and was never that good to begin with, tbh) but it's interesting to see the two missing books and then the other three reunited in her collection.

*bought presumably because they were holes in her run and several of the other as-of-yet ungraded copies were left behind since she'd had copies? Where are those books? Who sold them? My brain hurts. 

The Carter family picked up a lot of early DCs, which they later sold but back in the 80s/90s.  They handled much/all of the pre-Bats Tec run.

Alternatively, they might have been sold to some random collector at the first Cons that Chuck offered the Church collection.

On 9/21/2024 at 3:21 PM, rob_react said:

Based on the articles that came out when she announced completing the run and when she died, she most likely finished the New Adventure Run no later than 1992, likely by 1987, and she could have purchased the books any time that they hit the market after 1970. Several are books that are important to superhero collectors. She was very astute and connected collector by all accounts. She could have purchased from Chuck. Some of the people who helped her assemble the collection, especially the Sparkle City guys, might be able to answer your question.

On 9/21/2024 at 4:54 PM, CGC Mike said:

This was a difficult issue to acquire when I was looking for 1 15 to 20 years ago.  It was the only Non Superman cover missing from my Action run.  

[Apologies for slight thread derail]

Mike,

Did you just lock up the Stan Lee lied thread? Ironically, it looks like only Roy can post on it. I don't see an option to respond the many comments the OP is making to my posts.

Thx.

[Again - Pardon the interruption!]

• Administrator
On 9/21/2024 at 8:24 PM, sfcityduck said:

[Apologies for slight thread derail]

Mike,

Did you just lock up the Stan Lee lied thread? Ironically, it looks like only Roy can post on it. I don't see an option to respond the many comments the OP is making to my posts.

Thx.

[Again - Pardon the interruption!]

No, it was not locked.  You were banned from the topic because of too many contentious posts.  Sorry.

On 9/21/2024 at 5:28 PM, CGC Mike said:

No, it was not locked.  You were banned from the topic because of too many contentious posts.  Sorry.

If by contentious, you mean I present facts which contradict the OP and ask questions the OP doesn't want to answer - I'm guilty. But, with all respect, he's the most contentious guy on the thread. Still, you're doing me a favor because I'd rather talk to people who listen on thread like this then feel compelled to correct his incorrect assertions over and over and over. So thanks!

I'd ask, though, that you throw up a post on that thread telling people I'm banned from the thread so they don't think my silence in response to the OP's attacks is an admission. Thanks in advance!

[Back to our originally scheduled programming.]

• Administrator
On 9/21/2024 at 8:32 PM, sfcityduck said:

I'd ask, though, that you throw up a post on that thread telling people I'm banned from the thread so they don't think my silence in response to the OP's attacks is an admission. Thanks in advance!

Will do.

On 5/15/2024 at 1:37 AM, tth2 said:

Quite an achievement to have put together the first complete DC collection, particularly with most of it having been done before the internet made it easier to find those really difficult issues.

RIP. :frown:

Yes indeed, an absolutely stunning collection and a true old school type collecting achievement, considering that the majority of the collection was done prior to the 90's. :applause:

All I can say is that my wallet and bank account are glad that I kicked the GA DC collecting habit seemingly decades ago.  lol

Then again, I seem to be getting rather nostalgic in my advancing years and starting to think about those very early pre-hero DC collecting days of yore.  Makes me wonder if we are FINALLY going to see some true DC rarities like New Fun Comics 2 or New Comics 2 get graded or ceritfied above VG or in a slab above a CGC 2.0 condition grade.  :luhv:  :wishluck:

On 9/17/2024 at 7:17 AM, tth2 said:

I've been told that almost all of the big keys are restored, unfortunately.

On 9/17/2024 at 7:39 AM, vheflin said:

She was sold a good amount of restos, however, there are many nice unmolested high-grade issues. 

No real surprise here since a large portion of her collection was compiled prior to the 80's at a time when restoration was seen for a few years back then as adding value to a book.  :whatthe:

I guess similar to how pressing and cleaning and what have you are seen as adding value to a book in today's grade-centric marketplace. hm  :frown:

On 5/16/2024 at 11:09 AM, sfcityduck said:

Two big differences between her and Ian: (1) She started collecting DC in the 1950s and (2) she bought better condition comics. She had her Action 1, D27, etc. no later than the early 1980s. They all looked nice.

I would say there is a third difference - and it’s also a reason some people think she was purposely “hiding” her collecting: she was like a lot of collectors that also fly under the radar - interested in collecting out of love of the material (artwork and stories), not the sought-after ancillary fanfare that drives some people. She wasn’t on this or other public forums needing constant validation for her hobby activities.  She was a known collector to people here in New England, and respected for her unbelievable accomplishment.