• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
27 27

2,123 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2024 at 12:30 PM, EastEnd1 said:

I just got back 17 vintage books (not moderns) yesterday.  I think someone else may have alluded to this earlier, but what I've found with ALL 17 is that if you lie the book down face up, the inner well is perfectly flat against the back outer well.  If you flip the book over with the back cover facing up, you create a bit of a banana curve because the bottom spine corner inner well impinges on the pin at that corner's outer well, while the rest of the book falls flat against the front outer well.  If you stand the book up, you can still have some banana curve depending on how the book lies, though I'd imagine there's less pressure on the spine since gravity isn't working as much against you.  It looks like a holder design flaw to me and I'd imagine that's why it's taking so long to correct... the holder needs an overhaul.  Despite CGC's stated position about curve tolerance, there's no reason to have to tolerate ANY curve... the book should lie flat, period.  And it wouldn't seem that difficult to design a holder that accomplishes that.

I definitely agree with you about it being a design flaw.  This is not something new, but it may have been exacerbated lately due to the modification of the seal weld after swapgate.  I have a little over 300 CGC slabs, and I've seen this curved inner well on some in the 38########, 40##########, and 42######## certification numbers in addition to the 43######## and 44######## cert numbers.  There should be a process in place where statistical samples of incoming inner well stock are measured to ensure length tolerances are met.  But, either the sample size is not enough to ensure an entire lot of inner wells is okay, or this check is just not being performed.  Since CGC's QA for outgoing product is either poor or nonexistent, my bet is that there is no QA being performed on incoming stock.

On 10/16/2024 at 1:53 PM, Engr62 said:

I definitely agree with you about it being a design flaw.  This is not something new, but it may have been exacerbated lately due to the modification of the seal weld after swapgate.  I have a little over 300 CGC slabs, and I've seen this curved inner well on some in the 38########, 40##########, and 42######## certification numbers in addition to the 43######## and 44######## cert numbers.  There should be a process in place where statistical samples of incoming inner well stock are measured to ensure length tolerances are met.  But, either the sample size is not enough to ensure an entire lot of inner wells is okay, or this check is just not being performed.  Since CGC's QA for outgoing product is either poor or nonexistent, my bet is that there is no QA being performed on incoming stock.

I think part of the problem is that the modern outer wells are a bit too roomy, allowing for the curve.  I guess this was done to accommodate more varied size comics and cut the costs of having numerous sized holders.  The first generation holders are super tight and there is no room for the comic to be anything but flat. Seems to me the problem could be fixed by simply having the spine side inner well fit into the seam of the outer well... maybe the opposite side as well.