• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

I just got back 8 boxes of books. I've opened 4 of the boxes and all the slabs seem to have warped inner wells where they are concave in the middle, like I'm sure many of you have seen with backing boards. So, since the inner well is bent, it's bending my book inside it, which is of course putting stress on the spine. I've looked through a bunch of older slabs and they don't have this problem. Is anyone else seeing this with recent subs or did I just get "lucky"?

Trying to get a good picture but it's tough since it's only photographing from the side. In hand it's obvious even looking at the book from either the front or back but it's not showing up in pictures.

20240514_171730.jpg

20240514_172359.jpg

The top of the book sits up close to the front of the outer well, then it bows back where the middle is all the way back to the back of the outer well and the bottom of the book is towards the front of the outer well.

You can most definitely see the bend/warping in your side photos. I’m guessing when the inner wells are heat sealed this is occurring as it cools. The faster it cools the more bend you get. Again, just a guess…

Posted (edited)

ok , so just got this back. Disappointed and need advice. 

1.) First I sent it in because the newton rings were distracting, ugh!  

2.) So I paid for high-value reholding, because I believe that they were not redoing them free just due to newton ring, since I was not the original sender bought this years ago on auction. Ok, fine paid them for this. 

3.) But after waiting a month, the reholdering was done and rings gone, but it looks like some bending due to being squished? and small chip fell off due to the reholder. (Not sure if the case inner well is smaller than before or warped inner well,  but looks slightly squished in there.)  

4.) I can send it in again, but it may need a press, regrade, reholder. As it is expensive, tied 4th highest grade, so If it drops grade due to the mishandling will CGC pay for shipping and damages of lost grade? 

5.) What a pain , Now what to do? 

PRE - reholdering (note the newton rings ) 

1.) 

2403180232481.jpg

after sent in (note chip and I think inner well issue potentially bending the book and accentuating the spine dents?

Scan_20240515(3).thumb.jpg.9f331229e10b03c8b7461a454917e4f7.jpg

IMG_6383.thumb.jpg.f9e9dd959b1f3d9537f11ddadc37453e.jpg

IMG_6384(1).thumb.jpg.12f7d281b5c6abd044963abe5a46cf76.jpg

IMG_6380.jpg

Edited by Changer

• Administrator
On 5/15/2024 at 9:13 PM, Changer said:

@CGC Mike  thoughts? 

I am sorry that this has happened to you, LordRahl and RMA.  I am going to flag @MattM CS to this thread, as I do not know the extent of how many warped holders were used.    I have been working with @LordRahl, and will continue doing so.   Can you assist the others, Matt?

On 5/14/2024 at 7:37 PM, LordRahl said:

I just got back 8 boxes of books. I've opened 4 of the boxes and all the slabs seem to have warped inner wells where they are concave in the middle, like I'm sure many of you have seen with backing boards.

How many books are in each box? :facepalm:

I'm preparing my next submission. Can't wait! meh

If it was not for Mike, CGC would ...

Of course, to repeat, they did not have to do that.

• Administrator
On 5/17/2024 at 12:49 AM, Changer said:

help?@MattM CS

I have not forgot about you, @Changer  If Matt isn't available by late morning, I will assist you with this.

Mike