• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC is now grading Digests and Paperbacks
2 2

55 posts in this topic

Yep, they're cheap, but it is also seems a nice spot to get a good deal.  It's a lot harder to pick up a 20 or 30 dollar book for five or ten or a 50 or 60 dollar book for 20 or 30 if we are talking comic or pulp (though I bet you're pretty good at it, Jimbo :foryou:).

On 5/19/2024 at 1:08 PM, GACollectibles said:

Soooo, you!

I 2nd the motion!

Unfortunately, no.  I'm far from a paperback expert... the aforementioned lamination question perpetually vexes me... I never know which were supposed to have it, and which never did.  I'm also not good at spotting unsigned artists... as we've seen right here on these boards several far better at that than me.  I'm a data compiler, not much more.  If someone else were to leap forward with a comprehensive paperback guide (with or without pricing, if that's an issue) I'm all for it!  

On 5/19/2024 at 11:41 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Beyond that, as a very active buyer in today's market, there are already hundreds of vintage paperbacks that top $100 in high grade. It's a way different market than when the last guides came out 20-30 years ago.

Yep.  And as I'm discovering, some of the higher values are not even with the old traditionals we tend to think of.  I'm seeing surprising prices (to me anyway) on things like the 1st ace editions of The Lord of the Rings, 1st pb edition of The Princess Bride, a number of '80s horor pbs with bold covers, die-cuts, etc., '70s and '80s horror-movie tie-ins... just as off-the-top-of-my-head examples.

A pulp art book from the 90s used a simple pricing indicator I like.  It was 1 to 5 dots, 1 being cheap fodder and 5 being top books.  It works nicely because even as prices go up or down, you can still use it to get a ballpark value when you compare a book you're looking a few other different books that sold recently with the same number of dots to get a ballpark idea of the comparative value.  Plus it doesn't get outdated as quickly. 

Obviously doesn't work with extreme outliers like the first shadow, but if you're in the market like that you don't need a price guide to begin with.  

On 5/23/2024 at 7:08 AM, moonpool said:

If you can afford a comic, you can find it,  if you can find a paperback, you can afford it.    ( A generalization of course, but still...)

Every rule has exceptions, but you've said this before and it's true 99% of the time with paperbacks and about 98% of the time with comics.

On 8/26/2024 at 1:39 AM, The-Collector said:

Has anyone confirmed with CGC that they will grade paperbacks? And that the examples posted aren't exceptions to the rule? If not does anyone know who I could ask? 

@CGC Mike

I don't have a link, but yes, they have. The PB's were comic related as I recall. The "ask CGC" section may yield more info. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

• Administrator
On 8/26/2024 at 1:39 AM, The-Collector said:

Has anyone confirmed with CGC that they will grade paperbacks? And that the examples posted aren't exceptions to the rule? If not does anyone know who I could ask? 

Here's a link to the collectibles we grade. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/collectibles-we-grade/

I would not be able to add anything to this. So, you could start a thread in the Ask CGC section.  Here are other options to contact customer service.

Hours (Weekdays):
8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST

Call or text (+1) 855-GRADE10 (855-472-3310)
Message and data rates may apply for text messages.
Service@CGCcomics.com

On 8/26/2024 at 12:15 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here's a link to the collectibles we grade. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/collectibles-we-grade/

I would not be able to add anything to this. So, you could start a thread in the Ask CGC section.  Here are other options to contact customer service.

Hours (Weekdays):
8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST

Call or text (+1) 855-GRADE10 (855-472-3310)
Message and data rates may apply for text messages.
Service@CGCcomics.com

Price points for typical PB's are probably still too low to engender a wholehearted effort by CGC. With the new Pulp focus, it will be simpler should they chose. I'd be underwhelmed if given the job of counting pages of PB's. GOD BLESS .... 

On 8/26/2024 at 9:54 AM, jimjum12 said:

Price points for typical PB's are probably still too low to engender a wholehearted effort by CGC. With the new Pulp focus, it will be simpler should they chose. I'd be underwhelmed if given the job of counting pages of PB's. GOD BLESS .... 

Sounds like first job you get when working for CGC. I can’t even imagine doing that for 8 hours a day…

On 8/30/2024 at 9:49 AM, Cool Ghoul said:

Matt Nelson told me at HeroesCon this year that CGC will soon be grading traditional paperbacks.  The cases will be more conducive to paperback sizes -- much like CGC is doing with their pulp holders.  He said to expect the introduction to be end of this year or more likely sometime in early 2025.  So it is in the pipeline.

Bittersweet.

As they say, once the cherry is popped, the innocence is gone. I'll tell you, though, I haven't had as much fun collecting Paperbacks as with anything, except for comics in the 70's. GOD BLESS ...

All kidding aside, I have several I would slab, simply because they're too pretty to handle and read. Especially if the slabs are not too huge.

Edited by jimjum12

On 9/1/2024 at 9:58 PM, The-Collector said:

My apologies but I don't follow. You realised they are grading them? Or you posted about which books can and cannot be graded? 

I had already posted about a book they were not grading a few years ago already in the thread forgetting I did so and didn't want to repeat but once you set a response you can't fully delete a post.