• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Direct vs. Newstand
2 2

15 posts in this topic

I was thinking....  And this might have been covered already, but does CGC differentiate Direct edition comics and newstand editions when they total up the census?  I don't believe they do, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Take Spawn #1.  I know they note if it is newstand on the label but if you look at the census for a direct edition or a newstand edition they both show 11895 in a universal grade 9.8.  Some people want the newstand because it is "more rare" than a direct, but supposed those 11,895 9.8's are even divided between the two editions, how then can the price difference be justified?  To me, once you grade a book, you just created another "edition" and if you have 600ish 9.8's in a newsy and 600ish 9.8's in a direct than to me the consensus is equal and the rarity and value should be the same?  Maybe it's just my pea-brain overthinking it too much.

Posted (edited)

Tbh

Cgc didn't start marking Newsstand on "the label" until like after 20 years of slabbing business taking place. :cheers:

That is 20 years not even on "the label", so they had no need to break out in the census after that twenty years to "then start."

That would have been seen as a reholder/cashgrab/regrade, which was already a "hard enough" choice for Newsstand collectors.

On 5/19/2024 at 2:48 PM, JimmyT77 said:

I was thinking....  And this might have been covered already, but does CGC differentiate Direct edition comics and newstand editions when they total up the census?  I don't believe they do, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Take Spawn #1.  I know they note if it is newstand on the label but if you look at the census for a direct edition or a newstand edition they both show 11895 in a universal grade 9.8.  Some people want the newstand because it is "more rare" than a direct, but supposed those 11,895 9.8's are even divided between the two editions, how then can the price difference be justified?  To me, once you grade a book, you just created another "edition" and if you have 600ish 9.8's in a newsy and 600ish 9.8's in a direct than to me the consensus is equal and the rarity and value should be the same?  Maybe it's just my pea-brain overthinking it too much.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I can believe that because many many years ago when a much younger me was collecting comics, I don't recall any differentiation between the two editions, the value was the value

Somewhere (I don't know where), there is an approximation of how many of any title/issue# are newsstand.  After a certain date, newsstand counts diminish drastically to almost zero.  That is what determines if a book has a higher newsstand value, not the CGC census.

The CGC census in some cases, maybe all cases, does not divide out the population.  And even if it did, the graded quantity has nothing to do with the printed quantity, although they likely follow a similar pattern.

That is the flaw in the system to me!  I can find the amount of issues that were originally printed for newsstand distribution, which is no doubt lower than direct but without an official graded register, it's pure speculation as to the ratio of newsy to direct and their subsequent value differential.  Speculation

Absolutely!  I'm not condoning what people buy, just trying to wrap my head around this "phenomenon".  I happen to think a UPC detracts from a beautifully drawn cover, and guess what, I wouldn't pay as much for a newsy, so to me newsstands have less value!  But that's just my outlook!  To each his own!

On 5/19/2024 at 4:59 PM, Lightning55 said:

Just go by eBay past sales, or GPA data.  It's not a mystery.

Actually that just reinforces the mystery behind comic pricing. lol

On 5/19/2024 at 5:36 PM, JimmyT77 said:

Actually that just reinforces the mystery behind comic pricing. lol

I suppose that is true.  But it shows a market history of what people are willing to pay for a particular item, which is how Fair Market Value is determined.

Does it make sense? Rarely.

On 5/19/2024 at 5:43 PM, Lightning55 said:

Does it make sense? Rarely.

An honest answer from someone!  

Value is based on peoples opinions, I'm fine with that.  Everyone on here would be willing to pay a different amount for the same book.

They do, but with multiple caveats:

1. Only if the issue is one that they arbitrarily chose to divide at some point will there be separate records.

2. The numbers will only reflect what was properly recorded after they separated the different versions. If there were 1000 copies graded before that division, they will all stay with the default entry. You can see historical CGC Census data at valiantman's site, which will let you see, with a bit of digging, when the separation happened.

3. They are supposedly (still) working on a way to publicly show the results of their full acknowledgment of Newsstands that happened only (relatively) recently.

Take Spawn #1.  I know they note if it is newstand on the label but if you look at the census for a direct edition or a newstand edition they both show 11895 in a universal grade 9.8. 

They do not "both show" anything. There is no both; they aren't separated. There is only a single entry for the issue and it's impossible for anyone to know how many of each version CGC has graded.

Some people want the newstand because it is "more rare" than a direct, but supposed those 11,895 9.8's are even divided between the two editions, how then can the price difference be justified?  To me, once you grade a book, you just created another "edition" and if you have 600ish 9.8's in a newsy and 600ish 9.8's in a direct than to me the consensus is equal and the rarity and value should be the same?

This is as ridiculous as the garbage the Newsstand pumpers claim. There is no way the split for Spawn 1 is even close to 50/50 due to the massive disparity in distribution.

On 5/21/2024 at 1:53 AM, Lazyboy said:

There is no way the split for Spawn 1 is even close to 50/50 due to the massive disparity in distribution.

I was just throwing this out as a hypothetical scenario, I have no idea the actual number, doesn't sound like anyone does.... 

Posted (edited)

GPAnalysis has been splitting out the newsstand and the direct editions for several years for important (or very popular) books. They don't use CGC's newsstand identification, GPA is identifying these by hand.

For example, GPAnalysis for Spawn #1

CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 Direct Editions = 728 copies recorded in 2023  (93.5%)

CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 Newsstand = 51 copies recorded in 2023  (6.5%)

Edited by valiantman