• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Superman Serial
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hey Boardies.

i saw a short clip on YouTube tonite with Batman in it.  Don’t remember ever seeing that Chapter.  Anyone know which one it was and was it indeed from the 1948 serial?

Thanks much.

Yeah, I looked at the clip again this morning when I was more awake, and it it looks like someone did some creative editing with a Batman serial clip with  Robin sliced in!  They never interacted…

Yep- big fan of all serials-- although SUPERMAN came out in 1948 and BATMAN AND ROBIN came out in 1949, there was no crossover.  Same producers and same director but no connections.

Fifty years ago, there was a local show on Saturday night at 11 pm called "Sinister Cinema" featuring some local radio comedians.  They showed horror films and would frequently run a serial episode before the movie to get to 2 full hours of run-time (with commercials). They never did run Superman or Batman but did have Flash Gordon and some others.  Good memories.

On 5/21/2024 at 5:06 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Fifty years ago, there was a local show on Saturday night at 11 pm called "Sinister Cinema" featuring some local radio comedians.  They showed horror films and would frequently run a serial episode before the movie to get to 2 full hours of run-time (with commercials). They never did run Superman or Batman but did have Flash Gordon and some others.  Good memories.

Starring Victor Ives, Ravenscroft and Head who were local radio personalities. I loved that show! My brother and I would watch it after Portland wrestling, it originally aired at 11:15 PM with the serial and then showed a double feature Horror set. My parents would tell us to go to bed around midnight but I would often sneak back into the family room (downstairs) and turn the volume real low so my parents would not hear it in their bedroom (upstairs). The premier episode had a Flash Gordon serial followed by a double feature of Frankenstein and Dracula. Good memories indeed!

sinistercinema.jpg

sinistercinema2.jpg

On 5/22/2024 at 10:26 AM, CitrusZ28 said:

MV5BYmQ1NzhjYmUtMmY5OC00NjZjLWE0MmItMmUzOGQ5MzcyN2Y1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzI2MDEwNA@@._V1_.jpg

Ever listen to the "Hollister and Ives Sometimes Comedy Hour" on KEX?  A couple of my high school friends wrote reviews for the school paper and we went down there and met Jimmy Hollister once.  

I was super into old films in those days: went down frequently to the theater that used to be by Portland State - saw "King Kong," "The Most Dangerous Game" WC Fields/Mae West, and a bunch of Marx Bros movies there.  Also went to a Halloween showing of the original "Phantom of the Opera" with live organ music in probably '75 or '76 at the Paramount (which, incidentally, is where I saw Devo, Bob Marley and the Wailers, .38 Special, etc).

On 5/22/2024 at 11:17 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Ever listen to the "Hollister and Ives Sometimes Comedy Hour" on KEX?  A couple of my high school friends wrote reviews for the school paper and we went down there and met Jimmy Hollister once.  

I was super into old films in those days: went down frequently to the theater that used to be by Portland State - saw "King Kong," "The Most Dangerous Game" WC Fields/Mae West, and a bunch of Marx Bros movies there.  Also went to a Halloween showing of the original "Phantom of the Opera" with live organ music in probably '75 or '76 at the Paramount (which, incidentally, is where I saw Devo, Bob Marley and the Wailers, .38 Special, etc).

Ah, shows at the Paramount. Grateful Dead, Eric Clapton, Alvin Lee, Jeff Beck, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Devo, The Tubes, Elvis Costello among others. No, I never listened to the radio show you mentioned but it sounds like the same vintage era. I know that theater that you are referring to, I used to go to midnight movies there like Dawn of the Dead and Eraserhead, can't think of it's name though, its long gone now.