• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sticker removed.
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I wonder if I could ask if anyone has any idea what grade this comic would get if sent in for slabbing. I know it's difficult from just one photograph but roughly what grade would the comic get without the sticker removal mark and how much of a hit would that mark reduce the grade?  Would a clean and press improve the grade? It's  British Classics Illustrated no 163 and is the 2/- Australian variant. Thanks.

image.thumb.jpeg.ea761f0ff809de2647a5057132bde0b2.jpeg

On 5/26/2024 at 4:22 AM, grendel013 said:

That sticker pull is a deal breaker.

Yes I agree, though my query is not really about its monetary value but its grade. I think that I am a pretty decent grader (for a Brit) but I've never come across this before and don't know where to start grading wise.

On 5/25/2024 at 11:30 PM, Redshade said:

Yes I agree, though my query is not really about its monetary value but its grade. I think that I am a pretty decent grader (for a Brit) but I've never come across this before and don't know where to start grading wise.

You need to supply more pictures. Need to see the back and without the glare. Otherwise it's an NG.

On 5/25/2024 at 8:30 PM, Redshade said:

I've never come across this before and don't know where to start grading wise.

I see a seriously abraded spine, possible staple rust, possible cover detachment at the bottom staple, and multiple color-breaking creases across the bottom-right corner.  A small "paper lift" or "tape pull" like this is not going to warrant a further downgrade on a specimen with so much other wear -- wear that is not "fixable" via a well-executed clean and press.  :foryou:

x2.thumb.jpg.de87b432457c01617834ce831f6b55be.jpg

x2b.thumb.jpg.510f4d4c2571a04394e6096bf2e5a4a2.jpg

x3.jpg.b3e382bc626864ccb81abc9b40ade2dc.jpg

On 5/26/2024 at 8:24 AM, zzutak said:

I see a seriously abraded spine, possible staple rust, possible cover detachment at the bottom staple, and multiple color-breaking creases across the bottom-right corner.  A small "paper lift" or "tape pull" like this is not going to warrant a further downgrade on a specimen with so much other wear -- wear that is not "fixable" via a well-executed clean and press.  :foryou:

x2.thumb.jpg.de87b432457c01617834ce831f6b55be.jpg

x2b.thumb.jpg.510f4d4c2571a04394e6096bf2e5a4a2.jpg

x3.jpg.b3e382bc626864ccb81abc9b40ade2dc.jpg

Thanks Zzutak for your constructive comments. Does anyone think it could get a 3.0 with a clean/press?

As others have already noted, if you want an estimate of grade, you'll need to provide more/better images (front cover w/o sleeve, back cover, spine/staples, inside covers, etc) plus details of any "hidden" defects.  However, I still stand behind what I've already offered above.  :foryou:

3.0 looks possible, but from a strictly monetary viewpoint I wouldn't think this book would be 'worth it' to send in. Is it a rarity, or are you building a set of slabs, or does it have some sentimental value?

Whilst not primarily concerned with any pecuniary gain this is a very rare issue which took me many years of searching to acquire so both reasons apply in this instance.
Thank you for your comments though, I appreciate everyone's input.