• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Uncanny X-men 135 (Pictures Updated)
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi, thanks for your help. I'm planning to trade this book but didn't have a grade recorded, so I'm seeking opinions here. I've attempted to capture the bend down the middle as best as possible. Any assistance in grading the book would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by Kal-El
Updated Pictures

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 5:35 PM, scburdet said:

:rulez:

@scburdet Thank you. I've updated the pictures, and I hope these are clearer. There's a slight crease in the middle of the book that doesn’t appear to break color (I think), and it seems like it could potentially be pressed out, though I couldn't capture it well in the photos.

Edited by Kal-El
typo

The thing to watch for on non-color breaking creases is evidence of damage to the paper fibers. Color issues with creasing are worse, but if a press didn't take the bend out, it could land lower than what it might appear in just photos. I'll say 7.5 with some possible upside.

On 5/26/2024 at 5:03 PM, Kal-El said:

There's a slight crease in the middle of the book that doesn’t appear to break color

I can see evidence of this bend on the front cover (where there's actually an associated color break), the splash page (your photo shows the full-length bend/crease quite well), and the back cover (where there appears be be light soiling along the high point of the bend).  Most evidence of the bend could probably be removed with a well-executed dry cleaning / pressing; but the color break will definitely remain.  As it currently stands, I think this would more accurately/conservatively be described as a 7.0-ish copy, with a partially color-breaking full-length crease that affects the entire book.   One man's opinion, naturally.  :foryou:

x1.thumb.jpg.b004f6f738ef61fd8ee99d24c274d44d.jpg

x2.jpg.f41261becd7bd69a831ca3a76060b2d4.jpg

On 5/28/2024 at 10:00 PM, zzutak said:

I can see evidence of this bend on the front cover (where there's actually an associated color break), the splash page (your photo shows the full-length bend/crease quite well), and the back cover (where there appears be be light soiling along the high point of the bend).  Most evidence of the bend could probably be removed with a well-executed dry cleaning / pressing; but the color break will definitely remain.  As it currently stands, I think this would more accurately/conservatively be described as a 7.0-ish copy, with a partially color-breaking full-length crease that affects the entire book.   One man's opinion, naturally.  :foryou:

x1.thumb.jpg.b004f6f738ef61fd8ee99d24c274d44d.jpg

x2.jpg.f41261becd7bd69a831ca3a76060b2d4.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to help me better understand the condition. If I decide to put the book up for trade here, I'll reference this thread and list it as a 7.0 - 8.0 grade.

Posted (edited)

I don't think it's any better than a 5.0-5.5 as is. That's not just a crease, it's a both-covers mangling. 

The color loss on the black in the dash and the M, and heavy end page wear. I would grade it VG/FN right now if it was in my collection.

I doubt it can go higher than 6.0

Edited by Q.N.S.