• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are OA prices out of control?
7 7

231 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2024 at 7:05 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Are we overlooking the fact that at a charity auction the entire point is to nudge up the price? To cajole, dare, collude, pool, whatever it takes to keep the bidding up? All other side motives, real or perceived are irrelevant. If the birther contingent were more upset they didn’t win whatever the hell it was for their perceived FMV so they can invest, flip, hype or whatever seem to have given themselves away as Felix correctly stated. It’s about the money, not the art, much less the charitable cause. This is not a good look for you guys in the art community as you so often like to say in PMs when you think someone spoke out of line.  :baiting:

Exactly.  Btw, it happened 3 times that night, which Xatari never called out, he simply made a mention that it had happened, didn’t even add details.  Then one of the guilty parties started justifying the bad behavior with shady reasoning and accusations.  

If it’s for charity, let it go.  Most of the people in the room were hoping to bid on art they couldn’t afford otherwise.  Who cares if a commission that was donated goes for high or low.  
It’s Charity!!!! No one is going to demand that the artist charge less.  

in fact many pieces went for twice or 3 times what artist charge for their commissions, for example Dekal only charges $700 and yet his piece went for $1,800 (because it’s for charity) and no one shilled that one, it was fair and square.  Just let the system work itself.  

On 6/18/2024 at 7:38 PM, Pedro Cruz said:

What is hilarious to me is that no one called you out.  Yet, you felt you had to add all this justifications for your actions.   BTW, I saw you walk to the underbidder and heard your BS answer.  Also you were standing right next to the winner the whole time.  

If the shoe Fits!!! 

Ooooh another "I was there" guy. Felix was not standing next to me. Why? because I was sitting in the row with empty seats next to me. Felix was nowhere near me. In fact, I was wondering where in tarnation was he while I was bidding. 

On 6/18/2024 at 6:53 PM, Nexus said:

Interesting. Who was this "someone" who came down the aisle and said $14K would win it? That didn't come from me and also, $14K wouldn't have done it. So this is total fantasy.

It was true cause I was sitting there also 🤣

On 6/18/2024 at 8:26 PM, comix4fun said:

I didn't see any "justifications". I've read all these posts and the only person actually posting details is Felix.
Given their responses to Felix's detailed account of the the sale of the Transformers piece that was EXACTLY who they were referencing. 

I also didn't see any "actions" taken by Felix. I heard of another art dealer, not present, asking a friend of his for decades to bid for him on a piece he wanted. That wasn't Felix. 
It's pretty frustrating to read all this, all the puffed up chests, and finger pointing, without a single detail of what the crime allegedly committed was. 
What are you alleging Felix did? 

I've asked a few people now to explain what they think happened or specifically what accusation they are making and nothing has been forthcoming.  Right now this is the most opaque, fuzzy and ambiguous smear campaign I can think of. I've heard "liar", "unprofessional" "not good human" (shrug) "sad" and "gross" and nothing of any real substance. Someone summon the bravery to say what they mean and back it up. 

Given Felix's response that he wasn't next to the winner and was instead with DWJ in another part of the auction room, I have to ask, have you ever seen Felix in person? 

Well said Chris 

On 6/18/2024 at 8:26 PM, comix4fun said:

I didn't see any "justifications". I've read all these posts and the only person actually posting details is Felix.
Given their responses to Felix's detailed account of the the sale of the Transformers piece that was EXACTLY who they were referencing. 

I also didn't see any "actions" taken by Felix. I heard of another art dealer, not present, asking a friend of his for decades to bid for him on a piece he wanted. That wasn't Felix. 
It's pretty frustrating to read all this, all the puffed up chests, and finger pointing, without a single detail of what the crime allegedly committed was. 
What are you alleging Felix did? 

I've asked a few people now to explain what they think happened or specifically what accusation they are making and nothing has been forthcoming.  Right now this is the most opaque, fuzzy and ambiguous smear campaign I can think of. I've heard "liar", "unprofessional" "not good human" (shrug) "sad" and "gross" and nothing of any real substance. Someone summon the bravery to say what they mean and back it up. 

Given Felix's response that he wasn't next to the winner and was instead with DWJ in another part of the auction room, I have to ask, have you ever seen Felix in person? 

In my experience when these smear campaigns start the people smearing are frustrated in some way, and it’s usually about money.     The facts are tossed aside pretty quick because what serves the purpose is a narrative.

On 6/18/2024 at 5:26 PM, comix4fun said:

Two total posts and you come out of hibernation to post this? 

Literally less than half an hour after my post on burners... can't make this stuff up 🤣🤣🤣

Thank you, cgc boards, for being an unlikely source of comedy for the day.  I'll take it.

I don't know about OA but this has truly gone out of control. There wont be any worthwhile outcome coming out of this.  All that can be said has been said. Both sides will not be budging.  Some of you guys bat in the major leagues. Surely you can play the bigger person and stop posting on this anymore. If not can you start your own 'Heroes Con" topic. This thread.has been crapped on enough.

On 6/18/2024 at 6:47 PM, Pedro Cruz said:

Exactly.  Btw, it happened 3 times that night, which Xatari never called out, he simply made a mention that it had happened, didn’t even add details.  Then one of the guilty parties started justifying the bad behavior with shady reasoning and accusations.  

If it’s for charity, let it go.  Most of the people in the room were hoping to bid on art they couldn’t afford otherwise.  Who cares if a commission that was donated goes for high or low.  
It’s Charity!!!! No one is going to demand that the artist charge less.  

in fact many pieces went for twice or 3 times what artist charge for their commissions, for example Dekal only charges $700 and yet his piece went for $1,800 (because it’s for charity) and no one shilled that one, it was fair and square.  Just let the system work itself.  

This is perhaps the worst "hot take" of the thread. 

Anyone who walked into a Heroes Con Saturday Night Art Auction and thought they were going to get a piece of art at a bargain price, or even a retail price, they haven't been to a Heroes Con Saturday Night Art Auction, or they haven't been paying attention. That's not on the artists, or Felix, or the winners of the art, or the underbidders....that's on whatever neophyte didn't ask a veteran how these auctions go and went bargain hunting in the wrong place. 

I just have to comment on how reckless this post his though...."guilty parties", allegations of "shilling", "bad behavior", "Shady reasoning"....and not a single shred of specific detail or fact.

Making allegations that defame people's reputations, private and professional, should be approached from a reasoned, careful, diligent, comprehensive and detailed position and backed up with corroborated facts put forth in support of that allegation. You're batting .000 across the board. 

On 6/18/2024 at 5:53 PM, Grendel72 said:

I don't know about OA but this has truly gone out of control. There wont be any worthwhile outcome coming out of this.  All that can be said has been said. Both sides will not be budging.  Some of you guys bat in the major leagues. Surely you can play the bigger person and stop posting on this anymore. If not can you start your own 'Heroes Con" topic. This thread.has been crapped on enough.

I might agree with this if there were two sides. So far there aren't. There's a couple of guys laying out a series of events and then there's this weird, vague, ad hominem, conspiracy theory pastiche alternating with whispers about...something that some posters are trying to pretend adds up to...something bad? I'm especially intrigued by a poster who attacked Felix, has had many chances to explain what he meant and instead only participated again by liking the posts that slammed his posts. In a normal world, yeah, we're done, but now I'm intrigued.

On 6/18/2024 at 8:13 PM, glendgold said:

I might agree with this if there were two sides. So far there aren't. There's a couple of guys laying out a series of events and then there's this weird, vague, ad hominem, conspiracy theory pastiche alternating with whispers about...something that some posters are trying to pretend adds up to...something bad? I'm especially intrigued by a poster who attacked Felix, has had many chances to explain what he meant and instead only participated again by liking the posts that slammed his posts. In a normal world, yeah, we're done, but now I'm intrigued.

I wonder which artist Xatari is targeting that Felix reps in the hopes of getting access to his art? They seem to want his artists to see this dust up. This is all very contrived. 

Edited by MyNameIsLegion