• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM TTA 59 - Pop quiz, hot shots
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi board, looking for some of your expert advice on another head scratcher for me.  This one still needs some work on the spine ticks and a general dry clean and press, but I’m specifically wondering whether CGC considers this a miswrap or a (flattened) spine roll, because of the staple placement.  Thank you, as always, for your insight!

pPBtdpW.jpeg

mqaJ5kx.jpeg

8G1XqnS.jpeg

D7Ux4sM.jpeg

vmjECFb.jpeg

zYdeOtM.jpeg

G2tBLQR.jpeg

DpCmlap.jpeg

FNvCmMc.jpeg

K29n9fI.jpeg

ThkoT7B.jpeg

YH9PN65.jpeg

qPvQcBP.jpeg

oFIUc8x.jpeg

yncgy74.jpeg

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 3:38 PM, Point Five said:

Great freshness. The book has lots of nice qualities, but I am concerned about trimming. That top edge overhang looks pretty rough.  :wishluck:

Thanks!  I am VERY confident in the book’s provenance and lack of restoration.  So you don’t think CGC sees the semi-extreme miswrap as a spine roll?  Basically, these books were stacked in boxes w/o bags and boards for over 50 years, so I’m even trying to figure out if I’m looking at a miswrap or a spine roll that got flattened into place over time 

Edited by Corvonie

On 5/29/2024 at 3:55 PM, Corvonie said:

Thanks!  I am VERY confident in the book’s provenance and lack of restoration.  So you don’t think CGC sees the semi-extreme miswrap as a spine roll?  Basically, these books were stacked in boxes w/o bags and boards for over 50 years, so I’m even trying to figure out if I’m looking at a miswrap or a spine roll that got flattened into place over time 

Oh OK, fair enough. Assuming no trim -- maybe that overhang is just pushed up a bit and looks worse in the pic? -- it looks like a standard higher grade book to me, like 8.0 give or take.

If there were a 'severe' spine roll I'd think the cover and pages would be misaligned but they look to me to be aligned well.

On 5/29/2024 at 4:14 PM, Point Five said:

Oh OK, fair enough. Assuming no trim -- maybe that overhang is just pushed up a bit and looks worse in the pic? -- it looks like a standard higher grade book to me, like 8.0 give or take.

If there were a 'severe' spine roll I'd think the cover and pages would be misaligned but they look to me to be aligned well.

Ah! I finally understood what you were saying about an overhang.  Here’s another (hopefully better) view than one side the book laying on a table

Xh8atYw.jpeg

Looks like a standard miswrap to me, which is only downgraded 9.0-9.8 depending on severity. I think there are enough other issues that the miswrap is ignored. Looks like a 7.5/8.0 to me. You can find my most recent returned book (Nick Fury 7) that has the staples misplaced a couple of cm onto the front cover off the spine fold. Still a 9.4. 

On 5/29/2024 at 5:55 PM, scburdet said:

Looks like a standard miswrap to me, which is only downgraded 9.0-9.8 depending on severity. I think there are enough other issues that the miswrap is ignored. Looks like a 7.5/8.0 to me. You can find my most recent returned book (Nick Fury 7) that has the staples misplaced a couple of cm onto the front cover off the spine fold. Still a 9.4. 

I’ll take a look thanks SC.  And congrats on the 9.4!