• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EC comics reveal Oni press issues #4 & #5
3 3

157 posts in this topic

https://www.ign.com/articles/oni-press-reveals-the-twisted-future-of-the-ec-comics-horror-line-comic-con-2024

Oni Press recently revived the infamous EC Comics brand, and the new line has quickly become a success, with Oni reporting that Epitaphs From the Abyss #1 has sold over 65,000 copies. In light of that success, Oni is growing the EC Comics line heading into 2025.

First, the horror anthology Epitaphs From the Abyss is being expanded from the originally announced 5-issue run to a 12-issue maxi-series. That will carry the series into Summer 2025, at which point the finale will pave the way for a new EC Comics title.

Future issues of Epitaphs From the Abyss will feature stories from Charlie Adlard (The Walking Dead), Matt Bors (Toxic Avenger), Matt Kindt (BRZRKR, Mind MGMT), Matthew Rosenberg (DC Vs. Vampires), Mark Russell (Batman: Dark Age, X-Factor), Tim Seeley (Local Man), Jay Stephens (Dwellings), Joanne Starer (Sirens of the City), and Alexandre Tenfengki (The Good Asian), while Lee Bermejo will continue to provide covers for the series.

Next, Oni will release a holiday-themed anthology special in December 2024 called Shiver Suspenstories #1, featuring a mix of horror, sci-fi, and military action tales. The creators involved include Jason Aaron (Thor), Ben H. Winters (CBS' Tracker), David Lapham (Stray Bullets), Kano (Gotham Central), and cover artists Adam Hughes (Wonder Woman) and Darick Robertson (The Boys).

Finally, Oni has revealed the series that will be replacing the sci-fi anthology Cruel Universe after it ends its 5-issue run. The dark fantasy series Cruel Kingdom will debut in January 2025, featuring stories from Cullen Bunn (The Sixth Gun), Chris Condon (That Texas Blood), Dennis Culver (Unstoppable Doom Patrol), Al Ewing (Immortal Hulk), Justin Jordan (The Strange Talent of Luther Strode), Tyler Crook (Harrow County), and Leomacs (Rogues), with covers by Adam Pollina (X-Force).

"With Epitaphs From the Abyss #1 now on store shelves, it's safe to say the full-blooded return of EC Comics to store shelves worldwide has exceeded even our own aggressive expectations to become Oni Press' biggest Direct Market launch in a decade," said Hunter Gorinson, Oni Press President & Publisher, in a statement. "We owe a huge debt of thanks to the fans, creators, and retailers who have supported this righteous resurrection for one of the most iconic and influential publishing houses in the history of the comics medium. It also means the second phase of our ambitious plans to strengthen the scope of our EC publishing program can now be revealed – beginning with a surprise expansion for Epitaphs From the Abyss and continuing into two new releases: this winter's holiday-themed Shiver Suspenstories special and EC's first-ever excursion in dark fantasy, Cruel Kingdom, beginning in January!

Fans can expect to learn more about the future of the EC Comics line at the "EC Comics Lives Again at Oni Press!" panel at San Diego Comic-Con, which is being held on Friday, July 26th at 5 pm PT in Room 23ABC.

For more on the EC Comics line, check out our exclusive previews of Epitaphs From the Abyss #1 and Cruel Universe #1. And you can also see everything coming to the IGN's San Diego Comic-Con 2024 live show.

ec-shiver-suspenstories-1-cover-a-web-1721913419227.thumb.jpg.c1e47da5243c413ec67bde7f9fd8cfea.jpg

ec-cruel-kingdom-1-cover-b-solicit-web-1721913481156.thumb.jpg.8ef3e7c3966c27915cfd75f9cd3d0ed4.jpg

Reading my way through the first issue now.

Killer Spec: I liked this story, though the plot seems extremely familiar, possibly the writer being inspired by a similar story presented elsewhere. I'm not familiar with Holtham's work but the narrative was clear, though the ending was obvious and inevitable. The main character's internal dialogue about just needing a break so the world would recognize his genius rung true for anyone in a creative field. Fornes' art was pretty good. I don't love a lot of extreme detail or stylization so the more basic linework worked for me.

Senator, Senator: I've become a huge fan of Chris Condon lately. The Enfield Gang Massacre and Hell is a Squared Circle were both great and I just recently read the first TPB of That Texas Blood, which is the best series I've read since Criminal. I'll be reading the rest of that series soon. However, this story did nothing for me. I understand the point he's trying to make here but I think the twist ending dilutes his message. The art by Krause was serviceable but otherwise vanilla, which is usually my opinion on his comics work.

Family Values: I liked this story a lot. Great high concept that one could, if one were cynical enough, believe could be true. I wonder if Phillips was inspired on some level by Ed Piskor's Red Room. I don't know Stephanie Phillips' work but I may have to seek more out. Phil Hester's art is the same style he always delivers, for whatever that's worth. If the writer and artist got married, Phil could become Phil Phillips, which would be fun. 

Edited by Ryan.

US vs US: An obvious satire by Azzarello, which maintains the spirit of classic EC, though I found the story itself kinda blah. I dunno. It's satire. You either think it's funny or you don't. I don't know the artist, Legostaev, at all. I don't particularly enjoy an overly cartoony, exaggerated style so it wasn't for me.

On 7/25/2024 at 1:33 PM, Ryan. said:

Family Values: I liked this story a lot. Great high concept that could, if one were cynical enough, believe could be true. I wonder if Phillips was inspired on some level by Ed Piskor's Red Room. I don't know Stephanie Phillips' work but I may have to seek more out. Phil Hester's art is the same style he always delivers, for whatever that's worth. If the writer and artist got married, Phil could become Phil Phillips, which would be fun. 

I thought this the best story of the issue.

Then from best to worst:

Us vs Us

Senator, senator

Killer Spec

On 7/25/2024 at 5:02 PM, vheflin said:

oh my goodness, I found an Easter eggmeh

egg.jpg.27fae46ced6d7b3cc6250142edcb9bf8.jpg

The grey ghost of Bill Gaines.

Posted (edited)

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/oni-press-ec-comics-epitaphs-from-the-abyss-goes-monthly/

Oni Press & EC Comics' Epitaphs From The Abyss Goes Monthly

After reporting more than 65,000 copies sold and charting one of the year's biggest new series debuts for the return of EC Comics in Epitaphs from the Abyss #1, Oni Press is kicking off the first day of San Diego Comic Con with a trio of new announcements for the future of the infamous and influential publishing line that birthed Tales from the Crypt, Weird Science, and Mad Magazine and influenced everything from Jaws and Stars Wars to the Ramones and James Gunn along the way…

First up, on the heels of its blockbuster debut this week, the new EC's flagship horror title, Epitaphs from the Abyss, is expanding from its initially planned 5-issue run into a monthly series featuring a slew of new returning creators including that will conclude with issue #12 in mid-2025 "before introducing a horrific new title in the annals of EC's long-running horror legacy next summer.

Expect more details to drop at Friday's EC Comics Lives Again at Oni Press! panel live from San Diego with creators Jason Aaron, Corinna Bechko, J. Holtham, Klaus Janson, Matt Kindt, Jay Stephens, and Ben H. Winters, where the company will also be distributing free copies of this exclusive Richard Corben "Fan-Addict" variant cover for Epitaphs from the Abyss #1… Expect that to be a hot item in the days ahead.

"THE BIGGEST ONI PRESS DEBUT IN A DECADE – NOW A MONTHLY SERIES!

"With more than 65,000 copies sold for its debut issue, the new flagship title of EC's highly anticipated line of new series at Oni Press – Epitaphs from the Abyss – has been extended from its originally solicited five-issue run into an ongoing monthly series that will conclude with issue #12 … before introducing a horrific new title in the annals of EC's long-running horror legacy next summer.

"With new stories for upcoming issues set to feature Charlie Adlard (The Walking Dead), Corinna Bechko (Green Lantern: Earth One), Matt Bors (Toxic Avenger), Chris Condon (That Texas Blood), Matt Kindt (BRZRKR, Mind MGMT), Matthew Rosenberg (DC Vs. Vampires), Mark Russell (Batman: Dark Age, X-Factor), Tim Seeley (Local Man), Jay Stephens (Dwellings), Joanne Starer (Sirens of the City), Alexandre Tenfengki (The Good Asian), and many more – and continuing with covers by Eisner Award nominee Lee Bermejo (A Vicious Circle, Joker) across all 12 issues – look for more gut-wrenching twists and adrenaline-inducing surprises to come each and every month!

Edited by SpineTic

I know not EC, but this was next to Epitaphs from the Abyss and I couldn’t resist picking it up. Will be reading soon…IMG_3857.thumb.jpeg.5a9fb42d88f66c89b77a86417fe8cf82.jpeg

Edit: This was pretty good also! A good contender to the EFTA. (thumbsu

Edited by Jayman

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/07/25/sdcc-oni-press-panel-comics-code/

SDCC ’24: Oni Press will ‘undo the comics code,’ talks EC Comics and more

Undoubtedly, Oni’s acquisition of EC Comics was a highlight of the panel, with a slew of horror-related titles that will soon be released.  Editor Siera Kahn said that working on new stories within the famous 1950s horror anthology series was “intimidating” knowing its storied legacy. Yet, she noted that if anyone was going to do it, they wanted to be the ones to make it happen. While honoring the book’s legacy, they want these comics to be “left of center,” “edgy,” and “subversive” – not just an embrace nostalgia series.

Jay Stephens interjected that Oni is “actively trying to undo the damage done” by comics code and will “try to push the boundaries of taste, just a little.

IMG_5472.webp.9b2e94db52d1e2e52e2a4b0293fcc754.webp

Some of the EC Comics books will include a forthcoming 12-issue run on Epitaphs from the Abyss, as well as a new line of specials called Shiver Suspense Stories and Cruel Kingdom. The latter is the first fantasy EC title. Cruel Kingdom will include stories from various creators, including Al Ewing. 

I have to admit, I actually love the idea of Cruel Kingdom a LOT.  EC style high fantasy is exactly the sort of thing you can do these that sounds both new and true to the EC spirit.

Meanwhile, I got hit hard by FOMO with the first book, although I'm not willing to drop what they're charging for the 1:100.  Still need to get the basic B cover, my store pulled the A for me and didn't have any shelf copies of the B.

Epitaphs from the Abyss 01a.jpg

Epitaphs from the Abyss 01c.jpg

Epitaphs from the Abyss 01d.jpg

Epitaphs from the Abyss 01e.jpg

Epitaphs from the Abyss 01f.jpg

Epitaphs from the Abyss 01g.jpg

Epitaphs from the Abyss 01h.jpg

So, I'm trying to count the variants on Epitaphs from the Abyss #1.  I think there are 17:

Regular editions:

1) Lee Bermejo cover

2) Andrea Sorrentino cover

3) Lee Bermejo gold foil cover

4) Andrea Sorrentino silver foil cover

5) Blank cover

6) 1:10 Jay Stephens homage variant

7) 1:20 Andrea Sorrentino B&W variant

8) 1:50 Rian Hughes Archive Edition variant

9) 1:100 Dustin Weaver "hosts" variant

Exclusive editions:

10) Tony Moore variant- print run ?

11) Vanessa Del Rey variant- print run 1000

12) Naomi Franquiz variant (color)- print run 500

13) Naomi Franquiz variant (B&W)- print run 300

14) Matt Kindt variant (connecting cover w/ Cruel Universe 1 variant)- print run 1000

15) Dani Strips variant- print run 1000

16) Robert Hack variant- print run 750

17) Richard Corben variant- print run ?

Anybody know of any I missed?  Or the print runs on the Tony Moore or Richard Corben variants?

On 7/16/2024 at 12:10 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Hope you enjoy it, Mitch.

The one held at the London LSCC convention was delivered so lethargically that I lost interest and left after about 15 mins.

For a lifelong EC fan, that’s bad.

I’d expect much more enthusiasm this time round.

The SDCC EC panel was outstanding. A for effort, they made some big announcements(see above)....but give these guys time to do trial and error. I read the first issue last night  which was a SDCC panel reward with a corben cover....really what can stack up against the greatest comics ever created...but I like the direction they are going. I am going to buy the SF issue next. They care, they have talented  people....this could really work out.

Grades:

Covers-A

Artwork-B

Stories-B-

On 7/29/2024 at 9:27 PM, Mmehdy said:

The SDCC EC panel was outstanding. A for effort, they made some big announcements(see above)....but give these guys time to do trial and error. I read the first issue last night  which was a SDCC panel reward with a corben cover....really what can stack up against the greatest comics ever created...but I like the direction they are going. I am going to buy the SF issue next. They care, they have talented  people....this could really work out.

Grades:

Covers-A

Artwork-B

Stories-B-

Pleased you enjoyed it !