• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EC comics reveal Oni press issues #4 & #5
3 3

157 posts in this topic

I liked the issue more than you did, @Telegan.  I gave it a C+ as an EC comic, or a B+ on its own terms... EC is held to higher standards.  I do appreciate that they are starting new titles, rather than reviving old ones... I would have been less happy had this come out as an issue of "Tales from the Crypt", say.  I will say that, while I think there's lots of room for improvement, they didn't shame themselves calling it an EC, which a lot of people would have.  I think one thing that was really missing was using the hosts on the individual stories.  The hosts set a lot of the tone for the EC horror, which I think part of why there are so few really memorable horror stories in Shock Suspenstories... what we remember there are the Shock stories.

Today's book.  I really like this particular variant, other than perhaps the 1:100 I think this is the one that most says "EC" to me.  (I love the Corben one more, but that's in no small part based on my love of Corben and the idea that he had a cover on an EC book.)

Epitaphs_Strips.jpg

On 8/1/2024 at 1:55 PM, Telegan said:

I got my #1 issues and another one on the way for the covers I wanted.  I'm more of a cover art collector, but decided to read the comic book just for giggles.

As for stories, they were pretty much "meh" as in "ok, I guess we're onto the next story".  If I were to grade the stories, they'd be as follows :

Killer Spec : D- ... haven't we read and seen this plot a myriad of times in comics and elsewhere before?  Seemed very recycled and somewhat "basic".
Senator, Senator : D+ ... this is like "we have a statement to make, but we need to put an unexpected twist to it", but having read it, it's like "ok, but it wasn't really all that unexpected".  I mean "ooooh, I have a headache".  Gee, I wonder what happens next? lol.
Family Values : B- ... the story was ok, even though some of the plot seems familiar with regards to "choose your victim".  The ending had a bit of a twist to it I really wasn't expecting so that was "EC".  It wasn't great, but it was ok.  Maybe even a bit above-average.
US vs. US : C+ ... quirky dialog and somewhat humorous, but nothing wild or wow'ing.  If you take it as poking fun at recent events, it was alright.

The artwork throughout the interior of the book wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I'm used to Golden Age through Copper Age art, for the most part, so I won't judge too harshly.  I didn't think the art was bad, and definitely didn't hate it, but I'm not gaga about it.  I don't really buy modern comics anymore, so maybe that's the way comic art has gone?  In which case, I can learn to like it more, no biggie.  Like I said, I didn't hate it or anything.  The one nod I'll give to is the depiction of The Grave-Digger by Dustin Weaver on "page 2" of the book.  That's awesome.  I loved how he drew him on the cover of the 1:100 variant, too.  I'd get a copy of that if it were cheaper, and I'm hoping it comes down in price.

As for covers, there are a few good ones, including the 1:100 variant that I mentioned.  I don't really like the depiction of The Grim Inquisitor (seems too mundane), and I've mentioned The Tormentor looks like they pulled Lucille Ball out of her grave, but The Grave-Digger is wicked - love his depiction.  I'll wait to see if I can get that cover cheaper, and if not, oh well, I'll view it from afar. lol.  My favorite cover is the Tony Moore exclusive cover.  That ghost walking in carrying its own (?) head just screams "EC" to me.  And the electric energy of the ghost makes it seem like the power cosmic pumping through it. lol.  Add the fear on the potential victims' faces and it's like "yeah, this is an EC cover".

I thought the first issue was "ok", but lacking in story and somewhat in interior art at times.  I'll definitely keep buying some issues to see if they improve while I buy issues from the other series that are coming out, as well.  All-in-all, it was a bit of a disappointment, but still early in the game.

This is my thoughts too.

Art work was ok to mediocre.

Artists who are good can mimick art styles and wouldn't it be fantastic if just one story was drawn in that 50s EC style. So cool that you think a story was a reprint until you see a cell phone drawn into the story.

What about the characters on the cover?

How about having characters that do a into and a summary ending of each story like the crypt keeper and witch etc. did in the 50s?

There was only one real EC style twist to the stories in this issue.

I think the book has potential if they really improve these areas and do stronger stories with a twist. I'll check out issue 2 to see if they improve 

Edited by southern cross

On 8/2/2024 at 12:15 AM, OtherEric said:

I liked the issue more than you did, @Telegan.  I gave it a C+ as an EC comic, or a B+ on its own terms... EC is held to higher standards.  I do appreciate that they are starting new titles, rather than reviving old ones... I would have been less happy had this come out as an issue of "Tales from the Crypt", say.  I will say that, while I think there's lots of room for improvement, they didn't shame themselves calling it an EC, which a lot of people would have.  I think one thing that was really missing was using the hosts on the individual stories.  The hosts set a lot of the tone for the EC horror, which I think part of why there are so few really memorable horror stories in Shock Suspenstories... what we remember there are the Shock stories.

Today's book.  I really like this particular variant, other than perhaps the 1:100 I think this is the one that most says "EC" to me.  (I love the Corben one more, but that's in no small part based on my love of Corben and the idea that he had a cover on an EC book.)

Epitaphs_Strips.jpg

Yeah, that cover is one of the ones I thought about picking but haven't as of yet.  And I can understand why you like it.  You're right it's EC'ish, but something about EC horror covers I always think about is how many (most?) have the monster/demon/skeleton/ghoul/whatever along with the victim fully in view.  Seeing the victim's reaction/face is part of the horror in the comic cover.  To me, it's what made it so great (no, I'm not a sicko).  That's true for a lot of the PCH horror covers of the day when I think about it - the attacker provides fear, but there's a victim on the cover that amplifies that fear.  I just didn't get that from this cover.  Still EC'ish, though - I mean, there's a ghoul coming out of the grave grabbing somebody's leg who brought them flowers, apparently. :D

Anyway, I agree with the fact there's time for some improvement.  Whether or not they do it, is another question, though.  But like I said, I'll be in it for a while just to see if they do.  I hope they do.

On 8/5/2024 at 11:38 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I do like the use of Leroy-type lettering, resembling the style of the original EC comics.

They did do a good job of creating a Leroy-style font.  Although at their panel at ECCC early this year, I couldn't help but mention they needed to remember to change that if they ever did a War comic.

On 8/5/2024 at 11:56 PM, OtherEric said:

Three in today.

Has anybody actually gotten a copy of the Stadium Comics variant yet?  I pre-ordered the issue, but haven't seen it or gotten a shipping notification.  I haven't seen many on the Bay, either.

I think on their site they say it would take a couple of weeks to ship out, and it wouldn't ship out until all the comics on your order were available.

On 8/6/2024 at 10:37 PM, Telegan said:

I think on their site they say it would take a couple of weeks to ship out, and it wouldn't ship out until all the comics on your order were available.

Thank you.  I'm currently at 12 of the 17 covers, with all the rest on order, and I'm amused that the first one ordered is one of only two not shipped... and the Kindt version won't for a couple days at earliest, since it's only sold as a set with the Cruel Universe variant.

As far as I can tell, there's only two exclusives for Cruel Universe... the Kindt one that's part of a set, and a Hack variant.  Anybody know of any others?

On 8/7/2024 at 12:50 AM, OtherEric said:

Thank you.  I'm currently at 12 of the 17 covers, with all the rest on order, and I'm amused that the first one ordered is one of only two not shipped... and the Kindt version won't for a couple days at earliest, since it's only sold as a set with the Cruel Universe variant.

As far as I can tell, there's only two exclusives for Cruel Universe... the Kindt one that's part of a set, and a Hack variant.  Anybody know of any others?

If you're talking about true exclusives and not variants, those are the only two I know of.

On 8/6/2024 at 10:50 PM, OtherEric said:

With all the money you are investing in “variant” covers, wouldn’t that money be better spent on actual authentic EC comics?…

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/onis-ec-comics-cruel-universe-1-gets-50000-orders/

Oni's EC Comics: Cruel Universe #1 Gets 50,000 Orders as San Diego Comic-Con exclusives turn up on eBay, including bookmarks

• Oni's new EC Comics launch sells 50,000 units for Cruel Universe #1
  • Oni Press sold 120,000 EC Comics titles in two weeks post-SDCC
  • EC exclusive items from SDCC fetch high prices online, with bookmarks at $7.50
  • New EC titles and special editions create buzz, with future releases planned

Just before San Diego Comic-Con, we told you that the first title of Oni Press' 21st Century relaunch of the EC Comics publishing line – July's Epitaphs from the Abyss #1 – had racked up 65,000 in orders, putting in contention alongside Image's recent hits Energon Universe hits Destro #1 (85,000 copies) and Scarlett #1 (80,000 copies), as well as Top Cow's Witchblade #1 (80,000 copies) as one of 2024's biggest new series launches.

Now comes word that the newly resurrected EC's second major launch – the science fiction title Cruel Universe #1 with creators Corinna BechkoJonathan CaseChris CondonKanoMatt Kindt, Artyom TopilinBen H. Winters, and Caitlin Yarsky – have reached 50,000 units. This means Oni Press has sold nearly 120,000 new EC Comics in the two-week span since Comic Con.

That's an impressive figure in a world where Transformers regularly outsells Batman and another significant milestone for the resurgent Oni that has prompted the publisher to send all comic shops ordered 10 or more copies a special over ship with two free copies of the issue's specialty foil covers by Greg Smallwood and JH Williams III as a "thank you" for supporting the new EC launches. Additionally, Oni has also thrown in a few EC-centric promotional "shelf talkers" that will be coming soon to store shelves near you as Cruel Universe #1 hits today:

Screenshot(292).thumb.png.f6c716717d8de435be841c54c7a3cf67.png

In the meantime, Oni's new EC line has also caught fire online with the company's special Fan Addict Edition of Epitaphs from the Abyss #1 – featuring cover art by the late Richard Corben and given away for free at Oni's EC Comics panel in San Diego – posting aftermarket sales of up to $250 online this week, making it one of SDCC 2024's most highly valued exclusives:

Screenshot(293).thumb.png.ea605221540972a8a00ce6b2280f2763.png

And while the Epitaphs from the Abyss #1 1:100 variant – featuring the first appearance of EC's new horror host by artist Dustin Weaver (Avengers) – continues to drive multiple sales in excess of $120, perhaps the most shocking aftermarket sales of all are for Oni's EC double-sided bookmarks, which were given away for free at San Diego and now fetch $7.50 each on eBay:

Screenshot(294).thumb.png.de3ee9a071c9bfb1171c71a9d16bfc8f.png

With even more EC on the horizon from Oni – including an extension to 12 monthly issues for Epitaphs from the AbyssDecember's Shiver SuspenStories special with Jason AaronBen H. Winters, and more, as well as January's new fantasy series Cruel Kingdom, featuring Al EwingCullen BunnJustin Jordan, and more – keep those eyes peeled because EC fever might just begin to take hold… Cruel Universe #1 is on sale today from Oni Press. See pages from the stories "The Champion" by Matt Kindt & Kano and "Priceless" by Ben H. Winters & Artyom Topplin

On 8/7/2024 at 8:06 AM, Robot Man said:

With all the money you are investing in “variant” covers, wouldn’t that money be better spent on actual authentic EC comics?…

If I had been smart and dropped the money on one or two EC's rather than grabbing variants piecemeal, probably.  But I haven't broken $100 on any individual book, which is actually quite lucky on the two big variants, and everything but those were under $25.  Any actual EC that I can find under $100 without dumb luck, I already have.

Edit:  I forgot the other SDCC variant, that was actually closer to $35.

Edited by OtherEric

On 8/7/2024 at 8:58 AM, OtherEric said:

If I had been smart and dropped the money on one or two EC's rather than grabbing variants piecemeal, probably.  But I haven't broken $100 on any individual book, which is actually quite lucky on the two big variants, and everything but those were under $25.  Any actual EC that I can find under $100 without dumb luck, I already have.

Edit:  I forgot the other SDCC variant, that was actually closer to $35.

I guess. But what is the point in having a whole bunch of comics with the same contents and different covers? I guess if you are a completist. Indivually, not a lot of money but if you saved that money for a bigger original EC, your collection of real actual ECs would be a little closer and hold better value in the long term.

This just smells a little like the ‘90’s with tons of worthless variants that no one wants any more.

The first issue I bought was just OK and did have an “EC flavor” to it. But I wonder how well these would actually sell in today’s market without the EC logo and the hype on it?

I commend the publisher on their marketing strategy, but I’m still not buying it yet. Time will tell…