• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATED! First Look Inside Oni's Exciting EC Comics Revival
3 3

80 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Exactly!

EC’s had so much dialogue , it was like reading a real book sometimes. 

The morality tales influenced so many , (ie Twilight Zone ). 

Seems that this new one is doing what a lot of them are doing now and making it mainly visual. 

The guys doing the new Creepy & Eerie , i think,  have the right approach for us long time fans. 

This looks like it’s for the Walking Dead type fans 

Edited by auboy77

The Peter Krause art looks a lot like the art from the ghost band kickstarter from some years ago (I double checked and he wasn't listed in credits). I don't hate the art and I wasn't expecting them to try and mirror mid-50s style, but my expectations are low. As for "no words" these are preview pages, I am going to greatly assume like many preview pages the text has not been added purposefully.

Regardless it is two singular issues and they are not making 100 alternate covers to boost total print numbers so I will probably pick up at least the first issue.

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 12:57 AM, AJD said:

Hmm, I only have a couple of hundred of them, but I seem to recall that EC comics had words as well as pictures. hm

Bill-and-Al-by-Orlando.jpg

You got your money’s worth.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/31/2024 at 9:14 AM, shadroch said:

I like the covers.   

The most EC-like artwork. Modern, but tonally similar.

Shame about the rest.

On 5/31/2024 at 11:35 AM, Robot Man said:

I would recommend instead of buying these, buy instead a few Russ Cochran real EC reprint books…

Bill, Al and Harvey are rolling in their graves. 

Got a link?

On 5/31/2024 at 11:35 AM, Robot Man said:

I would recommend instead of buying these, buy instead a few Russ Cochran real EC reprint books…

Bill, Al and Harvey are rolling in their graves. 

Screenshot (49).png

On 5/31/2024 at 5:12 AM, shadroch said:

I'm not  planning on buying them, but I don't dislike the art. 

This is where I'm at.

Sometimes, the art tells the story; sometimes, the art is a background to the story.  I can like either.   This is the type of book I look for in the $1 bin. 

I'm not familiar with the company, but it seems like they are well established. 

The main flaw of EC was too many words. The words could drown out great artists and prevent the pics from dictating the pace. The exceptions being Kurtzman and, in a few iconic  stories, Krigstein.  Maybe these guys were trying to emulate Kristen but they failed spectacularly.