• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EC COMICS Revival First Look Inside!
3 3

84 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/printwatch-blood-hunt-says-yes-ec-comics-says-no-to-more-printings/

PrintWatch: Against standard comic book norms, Oni Press has announced that there will be no second printings for their new EC Comics titles, Epitaphs From The Abyss #1 or Cruel Universe #1. They say "Oni Press is advising retailers and comic shop customers that EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS #1 and the first issue of its science-fiction companion title, CRUEL UNIVERSE #1, will be limited to FIRST PRINTINGS ONLY with no second or subsequent printings to follow.  In tandem with this policy, Oni will be producing a sizable overprint for both issues in order to ensure adequate supply to meet retailer re-orders for both titles as the infamous and influential EC Comics line returns to shelves with its first new stories in nearly 70 years." And they also remind retailers that all non-incentive A cover and B covers for the first three issues of both series are returnable with no qualification for all orders placed through both Diamond Comic Distributors and Lunar Distribution.

Edited by SpineTic

I actually agree with Mitch about giving the books a chance to prove themselves.

I always feel caution is advisable, and never to get too excited and motivated by nostalgia, though.  Good to be pleasantly surprised.

On 5/31/2024 at 11:35 AM, Robot Man said:

I would recommend instead of buying these, buy instead a few Russ Cochran real EC reprint books…

Bill, Al and Harvey are rolling in their graves. 

"... Russ Cochran real EC reprint books ..."

I love those.

I've added the books to my holds list, I'll at least give it a chance. I'm not buying much by way of floppies these days, so it doesn't hurt to give a new book a try.

Posted (edited)

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/06/06/exclusive-oni-press-epitaphs-from-the-abyss-cruel-universe/

EXCLUSIVE: ‘Epitaphs from the Abyss’ #3 and ‘Cruel Universe’ #2 scares up impressive creatives

Oni’s ‘EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS’ #3 and ‘CRUEL UNIVERSE’ Come Packed with Terror, Talent, and All-New Stories from Comics’ Most Vile Visionaries!

EC_EPITAPHS_003_Cover-A_BERMEJO-min.thumb.webp.cf1525c006b8c98982b8e11c07ae12f5.webp

EC_EPITAPHS_003_Cover-B_FOWLER-min.thumb.webp.1dc3ce3fa2030c82ae416e3736c4fd92.webp

EC_EPITAPHS_003_BW_FOWLER-min.thumb.webp.b8c77ad17c317887222c7944706d0b1e.webp

EC_EPITAPHS_003_HomageVariant_STEPHENS-min.thumb.webp.7f3c533181bec9d1f72db44347838d18.webp

WARNING: Do not put these issues directly into your long box—they could leak blood onto your other comics!

EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS #3

Written by CHRIS CONDON, CORINNA BECHKO & JAY STEPHENS

Art by CHARLIE ADLARD, LEOMACS & JONATHAN CASE

Cover A by LEE BERMEJO

Cover B by TOM FOWLER

EC Homage Variant (1:10) by JAY STEPHENS

B&W Artist Edition Variant (1:20) by TOM FOWLER

Archive Edition Variant (1:50) by RIAN HUGHES

EVERY TOMBSTONE TELLS TELLS A TALE . . . THESE ARE YOUR EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS!

In your next infamous ish from the immortal EC Comics, all-new stories of fatalistic spectacle— told with wanton disregard for moral standards or public decency—from six ax-wielding masters of splatter de spectacular: rising star Chris Condon (That Texas Blood) and Eisner Award nominee Charlie Adlard (The Walking Dead); Hugo Award nominee Corinna Bechko (Green Lantern: Earth One) and Eisner Award winner Jonathan Case (Green River Killer); and Emmy Award winner Jay Stephens (Dwellings) and the maniacal Leomacs (Rogues)!

EC_CU_002_Cov-er-A_SMALLWOOD-min.thumb.webp.61afef74b5a7574833153d9f3ba64e76.webp

EC_CU_002_Cover-B_ROSSMO-min.thumb.webp.88331d64ed342fd84c49e79c540681f7.webp

EC_CU_002_BW_ROSSMO-min.thumb.webp.e64a2a856a56f51ab725c39d17a75400.webp

EC_CU_002_HomageVariant_STEPHENS-min.thumb.webp.22a4e31e207b4e0970c765ae04609056.webp

CRUEL UNIVERSE #2

Written by CHRISTOPHER CANTWELL, CHRIS CONDON, STEPHANIE PHILLIPS & BEN H. WINTERS

Art by JAVIER FERNANDEZ, DAVID LAPHAM, LEOMACS & RILEY ROSSMO

Cover A by GREG SMALLWOOD

Cover B by RILEY ROSSMO

EC Homage Variant (1:10) by JAY STEPHENS

B&W Artist Edition Variant (1:20) by RILEY ROSSMO

Archive Edition Variant (1:50) by RIAN HUGHES

You were an explorer who challenged the farthest reaches of existence. Until your technology inevitably failed you and you found yourself trapped in the endless void of space, drifting aimlessly amongst the nebulae, with only one question rattling through your tiny, dying, all-too-human brain: What if the horrors of this reality are too great to comprehend? What if they were NEVER supposed to be explored at all? GOOD THING YOU STILL HAVE THIS COMIC TO KEEP YOU COMPANY, SPACEMAN!

Test the boundaries of our cold and unforgiving CRUEL UNIVERSE with four bizarre tales of time and space by eight modern masters of the science-fiction form: Christopher Cantwell (Thanos, Iron Man) and David Lapham (Stray Bullets); Chris Condon (That Texas Blood) and Javier Rodriguez (Amazing Spider-Man); Stephanie Phillips (Harley Quinn, Grim) and Riley Rossmo (Wesley Dodds: The Sandman); and a very special surprise from Ben H. Winters (CBS’ Tracker) and Leomacs (Rogues). . . . At last, EC Comics dares you to look into the void and ponder what fate awaits us all! (Hint: It’s OBLIVION!)

IN STORES SEPTEMBER 4th, 2024

In anticipation of September’s frightful festivities, book your therapy appointment NOW because Oni’s hugely anticipated, dangerously demented new line of EC titles is assembling one of the most staggering cast of comics talent anywhere on the shelves today with new tales of ill intent from Corinna Bechko (Green Lantern: Earth One), Chris Condon (That Texas Blood), Jonathan Case (Green River Killer), Stephanie Phillips (Harley Quinn, Grim), Jay Stephens (Dwellings), and Ben H. Winters (CBS’ Tracker) – plus the official EC debuts of Charlie Adlard (The Walking Dead), Christopher Cantwell (Thanos), Javier Fernandez (Wolverine), David Lapham (Stray Bullets), and Leomacs (Rogues, Ghostlore)!

Plus: New covers of staggering artistic audacity from EC masterminds Lee Bermejo (Batman: Damned) and Greg Smallwood (Human Target), alongside new contributions from Tom Fowler (Refrigerator Full of Heads), Riley Rossmo (Cowboy Ninja Viking), and Rian Hughes (The Multiversity)!

Edited by SpineTic

The cover art is good.

Admittedly, some very talented writers and artists on the books.

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 4:38 PM, Robot Man said:

I really love those “homage” covers. 

Yup. As a classic EC fan it’s good fun to see those. Nice little surprise to see the next one. :smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 7:20 PM, AJD said:

For my money, the most successful (in artistic terms, it seems to have been a bomb sales wise) attempt to reboot EC was Harvey Kurtzman's New Two Fisted Tales. These are cheap and pretty darn good.

New_TFT_1.jpg.060408866c3ef50c546367c07b484e69.jpg

New_TFT_2.jpg.271a73e371d038371591c997ab1ee330.jpg

how many issues were made, insides any good? and also any one get new EC a preview copy yet!

Edited by Mmehdy

Good grief, I'm kind of going gaga over some of these covers that pay homage (at least in some part) to Weird Science #16 (one of my absolute favorite pre-code covers) and Tales from the Crypt #39 (another one of my absolute favorite pre-code covers).  That Epitaphs From The Abyss #4 has Crime SuspenStories #11 vibes.  The Cruel Universe #2 cover looks great, too.  Despite the fact I'm not a fan of the pastel colors on the Cruel Universe #2 with the woman's body about to get revenge for the head (I guess), I still think that's an awesome cover.  It's kind of like EC meets Facts of Life or something, though.

Not gonna lie - but a couple of those I'm scared to bring into the house. lol.

On 6/9/2024 at 12:07 AM, Telegan said:

Good grief, I'm kind of going gaga over some of these covers that pay homage (at least in some part) to Weird Science #16 (one of my absolute favorite pre-code covers) and Tales from the Crypt #39 (another one of my absolute favorite pre-code covers).  That Epitaphs From The Abyss #4 has Crime SuspenStories #11 vibes.  The Cruel Universe #2 cover looks great, too.  Despite the fact I'm not a fan of the pastel colors on the Cruel Universe #2 with the woman's body about to get revenge for the head (I guess), I still think that's an awesome cover.  It's kind of like EC meets Facts of Life or something, though.

Not gonna lie - but a couple of those I'm scared to bring into the house. lol.

IF IT BLEEDS, IT LEADS! Following on from an announcement that rocked the comic book industry just a few short weeks ago – the return of the legendary EC Comics with an all-new line of, never-before-seen titles for summer 2024 – Oni Press, in partnership with William M. Gaines Agent, Inc., is proud to present your next look ahead at what awaits for the year’s most unexpected resurrection with a new, continuing line of incentive variant covers from Eisner Award-nominated and Emmy Award-winning artist Jay Stephens (Dwellings).

Slated to first debut on EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS #1 in July and CRUEL UNIVERSE #1 in August, Stephens’ subset collection of “EC Homage” variant covers will continue into the future with a new distinct piece re-interpreting an all-time classic EC cover image across every new EC release from Oni Press. In addition to his ongoing work as with the “EC Homage” line of incentive covers, Stephens will also be prominently featured as a writer in several of Oni’s upcoming EC series, including EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS, CRUEL UNIVERSE, and more yet to be announced.

"EC Comics were dead and buried long before I was born,” said Jay Stephens, ”But when Stephen King and Tobe Hooper’s Creepshow dropped in 1982, shivers ran up my spine that weren’t caused by the delightfully deranged shorts themselves. This… felt… familiar. Like I’d always been here amongst the walking corpses. In the old 1974 copy of the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide I'd acquired from a yard sale, small black and white reproductions of EC horror and sci-fi covers littered the margins of the pages. Nothing more… just enough to KNOW. I didn’t have to wait TOO much longer for a better look… by the time 1990 rolled around, Tales from the Crypt was on TV and the Gladstone EC reprints were choking up my local comic shop shelves. The subversive... shocking... transgressive... banned... and burned-at-the-stake EC horror was back, and I was finally home. Now we get to do one better and dress this cadaver in some new flesh. What could be more fun?"

Jay Stephens is an Emmy Award-winning and Eisner Award-nominated long-time cartoonist and animator at the forefront of comics culture– with three decades of experience in the alt-comics scene he is no stranger to the strange. Stephen’s hit horror series Dwellings, called “genuinely disturbing” by The Toronto Star, is full of murder, possession, and demonology portrayed in a sickeningly sweet style. All three issues of the bloodcurdling bestseller debut May 7th in a gruesome hardcover collection.

“As anyone who has glimpsed his work on DWELLINGS knows, Jay Stephens has a genius-like mastery and understanding of comic book storytelling, art, and design. Small surprise then that he’s also – like many of us at Oni HQ – a fellow EC Comics obsessive,” said Oni Press President & Publisher Hunter Gorinson. “In its heyday, EC produced – through the visionary talents of impossibly huge legends like Johnny Craig, Jack Davis, Frank Frazetta, Wally Wood, and so many more – some of the best and iconic covers to ever emerge from the comics medium.  So when it came time to pay tribute to the original EC masters in the pages of EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS and CRUEL UNIVERSE, Jay was the only natural choice, and he’ll be reinventing these seminal images will charm and style all his own for many issues to come.”

Oni Press’ first two new EC titles – EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS #1 and CRUEL UNIVERSE #1, a pair of horror and science anthologies in the classic EC mold – will debut in July and August 2024, respectively, before the publisher introduces more series in genres and formats that will expand the scope and scale of the EC publishing line in ways never before attempted.

In addition to Stephens, Oni’s curated line of EC titles – which will include at least two series on a monthly basis from July 2024 onward in the genres of horror, science fiction, fantasy, and more – will feature contributions from a rotating cast of high-profile comics talents that includes writers Jason Aaron (Thor, Southern Bastards), Brian Azzarello (Batman: Damned, 100 Bullets), Rodney Barnes (Killadelphia), Corinna Bechko (Invisible Republic), Cullen Bunn (The Sixth Gun), Christopher Cantwell (Briar), Cecil Castellucci (Shade the Changing Girl), Chris Condon (That Texas Blood), Joshua Hale Fialkov (The Bunker), J. Holtham (AMC’s The Handmaid’s Tale), Jeff Jensen (HBO’s Watchmen, Green River Killer), Matt Kindt (BRZRKR, Mind MGMT), Sean Lewis (King Spawn), Stephanie Phillips (Grim),, Zac Thompson (Cemetery Kids Don’t Die), Ben H. Winters (CBS’ Tracker), and more; artists Kano (Gotham Central, Immortal Iron Fist), Peter Krause (Irredeemable), Leomacs (Rogues), Malachi Ward (Black Hammer: The End), Dustin Weaver (Avengers, Paklis), and more; designer Rian Hughes (The Multiversity); alongside covers from Lee Bermejo (A Vicious Circle, Batman: Damned), Greg Smallwood (The Human Target), J.H. Williams III (Sandman: Overture, Promethea), and more to be revealed in the weeks and months ahead.

https://www.gamesradar.com/comics/ec-comics-hunter-gorinson-interview/

"There'd be no sense in doing this if we were going to pull our punches": Hunter Gorinson reveals why Oni Press is reviving the most controversial comics imprint of all time

EC Comics is back from the grave in 2024! The infamous horror and science fiction imprint was one of the most controversial - and most successful - comics publishers of the 20th century, but the rise of the censorious Comics Code Authority in the mid '50s put an end to its reign of darkly comic terror. 

But now, almost 70 years later, EC is back with a new home in the form of Oni Press. The first of a wave of new EC comics arrives in July this year and, as we discovered when we sat down to talk with Oni president Hunter Gorinson recently, this is just the beginning... Read on to find out more about the origins of this exciting relaunch, the upcoming Epitaphs from the Abyss and Cruel Universe anthologies, and just how "hardcore" the new EC will be.

\

Newsarama: OK, let's start at the beginning Hunter. What led to Oni Press reviving EC Comics?

Hunter Gorinson: I think everyone has their one thing and my great passion has always been EC Comics. I still remember exactly where I was when I discovered them: I was at Barbarian in Wheaton, Maryland, probably in 1993 or 1994, and my dad handed me a Gemstone reprint of a Vault of Horror comic and said, "Keep your Green Lantern, keep your Thor, keep your X-Men, this is the good stuff!" I kind of scoffed at that, but then I took it home and read it and it absolutely blew my mind that comics could be that intense and powerful. 

EC just always stuck with me as I got into movies and underground music and comedy. I was constantly seeing where the tendrils of ECs influence had spread into pop culture: everything from John Carpenter's Halloween to Saturday Night Live to The Onion to James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy movies. It's an intensely powerful thing. 

So how did this comeback happen?

One of the great things about working in comics is you get to meet fantastic people whose work you admire. I was introduced to William Gaines' daughter and grandson, Cathy and Corey Mifsud, who indulged me when I began pitching them on why the time was right to potentially bring EC back for the 21st century and if we were going to do that how we could bring a new vision to it. And that is currently the project that we are up to our eyeballs in. They've been fantastic partners to work with.

So this has been a real passion project for you?

Yes. I worked briefly with Cathy and Corey a few years back - there was a brief period where I worked for a production company called Hivemind, which produced The Expanse and The Witcher and The Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark movies. During that period we worked for several years on a Weird Fantasy TV show and that began the process of me thinking about how you modernise EC sensibilities for the modern day. Someday, we will tell the entire story of that project, which was an extremely cool thing that likely will never be seen at this point. That was the first stone in the pond and now we're seeing the ripples reach the shore with Epitaphs from the Abyss and Cruel Universe publishing this summer.

Tell us a little bit about those two books...

So Epitaphs from the Abyss is our horror anthology beginning in July, and Cruel Universe is a science fiction anthology, both of which wholeheartedly embrace what I would call EC's specific tone and format. The mandate was always: let's start in a familiar place with the anthology format and the two genres that predominate EC: horror and science fiction.  

Epitaphs has a 40-page first issue with some incredible creators contributing to that - in #1 we have Brian Azzarello, Stephanie Phillips, Chris Condon, and Jason Holtham on the writing side, and interior artists include Peter Krause, Vlad Legostaev, Jorge Fornés, and Phil Hester. A really great combination of folks! We're threading all of those sensibilities together and hopefully putting together some compelling - and probably a little bit hardcore - comics for the year 2024. As we've been telling the creators, there'd be no sense in doing this if we were going to pull our punches - Will Gaines and Al Feldstein certainly never did - so if you think you've gone too far with the stories that you're working on, please keep going!

You've mentioned a specific EC tone a couple of times now. Could you elaborate on that a little?

Yeah, there's some humor and some existential dread and they're almost two sides of the same coin - the crushing reality of the circumstances you've found yourself in, but also the humor that spins out of that hopelessness. The tone and intensity and the point of view is very specific. I don't think it's pessimistic, but there's a certain hard-edged, distinctly American sensibility that bled out into the films of John Carpenter, and some of the films of Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. 

One stylistic thing that is vitally important to maintain is the lettering. There's a visually distinct lettering style to the original stories called the Leroy Lettering format - they used a machine for it. We have the great Richard Starkings who is doing his best to update that EC lettering style, but it's still very recognizable.

How did Oni select the creators for this project?

We had a wish list in the beginning of folks who we thought could inhabit that specific EC tone and most of them have come along for the ride. We're very fortunate to have everyone from Brian Azzarello and Jason Aaron and Rodney Barnes and Matt Kindt as well as people who we've worked with for years at Oni like Cullen Bunn, Jay Stephens who just did Dwellings for us, Zac Thompson, Joshua Fialkov, all contributing stuff. We've also had a bunch of folks reach out and be like, 'EC's incredible, can I come along and tell a tale or two?' Klaus Janson is doing a story in #2 which still blows my mind! 

What's been special about this process is finding just how many other folks in the comics community also share this deep reverential love for EC. There's few greater pleasures as a publisher than being able to pick up the phone and call someone whose work you really admire and say, 'Hey, here's a sentence you probably didn't think you would hear this morning when you waken up. 'Would you like to write a new EC Comics story?' And then watching people's eyes light up.

How far do your plans for the line stretch?

Our intention was to start in a recognizable place, essentially where EC left off, but then over the course of our initial round of titles we have a plan that extends probably about three years into the future at this point. We'll continuously be running at least two EC Comics titles a month for the near future.

We're going to pull back the iris a little bit of what EC can be in the year 2024. There will probably be some news coming out of San Diego Comic-Con, but I will say this: the next book that we do, the third book, will not be in a genre that EC specifically did stories in before. They dabbled in it, but they never had a title fully committed to it before. And then not everything we do over the course of the next year will be an anthology. We think we can take that EC tone and apply it to some other dimensions of modern publishing that haven't been fully explored before.

That's the exciting part of doing this. That's part of the reason why we're not doing Tales from the Crypt #1. Let's not do a complete template replica of what EC was 70 years ago. Instead, let's pick up that torch and hopefully expand the horizons of what it can do into the future.

Epitaphs from the Abyss #1 is published by Oni Press on July 24. Cruel Universe #1 follows on August 7.

Posted (edited)

Plus: Retailer Event to Preview Upcoming Announcements

As the launch of Oni Press’s EC Comics revival draws near, the publisher has announced an online retailer event on June 27 to offer a preview of their plans for the next two years, including announcements to be made at Comic-Con in San Diego. All retailers who participate will be eligible to receive a variant cover for Epitaphs from the Abyss #1 by an artist to be revealed later.

Oni also announced it will offer 10 sets of retailer variant covers by Robert Hack for Epitaphs from the Abyss #1 and Cruel Universe #1. The retailer variants will have a minimum order of 250 per issue per retailer.

The online event will be restricted to retailers with active Diamond or Lunar accounts, and Oni noted that the information on the call will be considered confidential; retailers who leak the information to the public may be excluded from further events.

“So far, the public has only glimpsed the very first steps of Oni’s ambitious, long-term plan to restore the legendary EC Comics to its rightful place as one of the industry’s most fearless, boundary-breaking forces,” said Oni Press President & Publisher Hunter Gorinson in a statement accompanying the announcement. “A project of this importance and scale wouldn’t be worth doing without a multi-year roadmap for the future, and we will feel strongly that our retail partners have the first opportunity to look ahead at – and provide valuable feedback on – the battle plan for the revitalized EC line that we’ve built to extend well into the years ahead – doubly so as we prepare to introduce a new generation of readers to the power and intensity of EC with Epitaphs From The Abyss #1 on July 24th. Trust me when I say: the future of EC Comics has many secrets yet to be revealed.”

Oni announced its EC Comics line, created in cooperation with William M. Gaines, Agent, Inc., in February (see “Oni to Launch New EC Comics Line”), and the first titles will be released in July.

Screenshot(77).png.0576335bcc6580d67dd32b60e01c0df2.png

Screenshot(78).png.0f0ab2f43595e92cdd88bca72fe61518.png

Edited by SpineTic

On 6/13/2024 at 8:11 AM, SpineTic said:

As the launch of Oni Press’s EC Comics revival draws near, the publisher has announced an online retailer event on June 27 to offer a preview of their plans for the next two years, including announcements to be made at Comic-Con in San Diego. All retailers who participate will be eligible to receive a variant cover for Epitaphs from the Abyss #1 by an artist to be revealed later.

Oni also announced it will offer 10 sets of retailer variant covers by Robert Hack for Epitaphs from the Abyss #1 and Cruel Universe #1. The retailer variants will have a minimum order of 250 per issue per retailer.

The online event will be restricted to retailers with active Diamond or Lunar accounts, and Oni noted that the information on the call will be considered confidential; retailers who leak the information to the public may be excluded from further events.

“So far, the public has only glimpsed the very first steps of Oni’s ambitious, long-term plan to restore the legendary EC Comics to its rightful place as one of the industry’s most fearless, boundary-breaking forces,” said Oni Press President & Publisher Hunter Gorinson in a statement accompanying the announcement. “A project of this importance and scale wouldn’t be worth doing without a multi-year roadmap for the future, and we will feel strongly that our retail partners have the first opportunity to look ahead at – and provide valuable feedback on – the battle plan for the revitalized EC line that we’ve built to extend well into the years ahead – doubly so as we prepare to introduce a new generation of readers to the power and intensity of EC with Epitaphs From The Abyss #1 on July 24th. Trust me when I say: the future of EC Comics has many secrets yet to be revealed.”

Oni announced its EC Comics line, created in cooperation with William M. Gaines, Agent, Inc., in February (see “Oni to Launch New EC Comics Line”), and the first titles will be released in July.

Sorry, but those covers just leave me flat…

On 6/13/2024 at 8:11 AM, SpineTic said:

Willaim M Gaines would NOT approve...

I would be down to try this out.  I just ordered and read the last five months of ASM to "maintain the collection", my only monthly comic.  The revival EC books are worth a try and have my interest.