• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too Glossy? It MUST have been restored!
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I recently received a 7.0 Purple Label for SWAMP THING #1 (Slight B-1).  "Restoration includes: Cover Re-Glossed".

This book has been in my collection since 1978.  People weren't really re-glossing books and throwing them in back issue bins back then, were they?

I think it's just so beautifully glossy (and with today's methods) that the CGC graders must have just agreed this is way too glossy not to have been restored.

I think they got this one wrong.

Thoughts and Advice?

st 1 gloss 1.jpg

st 1 gloss 2.jpg

st 1 gloss 3.jpg

st 1 gloss 4.jpg

st 1 gloss 5.jpg

st 1 gloss 6.jpg

st 1 gloss 7.jpg

st 1 gloss 8.jpg

Edited by Morefun101
Tried to tag Forum Coordinator

On 6/1/2024 at 11:49 AM, shadroch said:

Some people varnished their covers back then, which made them very stiff. I have not seen one in years.   I'd be inclined to think CGC screwed up, but that's my default position on them these days.

Agreed. However there are no boundaries Comic Book and Trading Card Dealers and sellers won't cross.

On 6/2/2024 at 3:50 PM, Topnotchman said:

I would think identifying a cover re glossed would be close to an absolute decision as the gloss would get into the color breaks. 

Not necessarily.  People used to use cooking spray.  That will give the cover a certain texture.