• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massive price increase GREEDflation is real
3 3

14 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2024 at 12:43 PM, Stefan_W said:

Weird. I've always wondered how the price of grading can be kept so low given material costs, overhead, and staff salaries that get cut out before any profit is turned. 

Business plan is probably (((x number of books graded and shipped with mechanical error)*(high percentage not returned within 2 weeks))*(reholder fee))=$$$

On 6/4/2024 at 7:53 AM, Martian Manhunter said:

What's up with the massive price increase to grade comics? Its not like plastic is in scarcity.

There is no such thing as a free re-slabbing.  It's built into the price.

On 6/4/2024 at 10:53 AM, Martian Manhunter said:

What's up with the massive price increase to grade comics? Its not like plastic is in scarcity.

They had a price reduction for most or all tiers a few moths back. And pressing charge rollbacks, too.

Maybe you mean vs. the prices charged when they opened for business a couple of decades ago. 

Welcome back!

On 6/4/2024 at 7:44 PM, Lightning55 said:

They had a price reduction for most or all tiers a few moths back. And pressing charge rollbacks, too.

Maybe you mean vs. the prices charged when they opened for business a couple of decades ago. 

Welcome back!

I don't want any moths around my comics.

On 6/5/2024 at 12:50 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I don't want any moths around my comics.

That's an inherent problem with Spellcheck. If you spell it wrong, but it's another valid word, no alert for you. Why can't it just read my mind and AI what I mean??

On 6/4/2024 at 10:36 PM, Lightning55 said:

That's an inherent problem with Spellcheck. If you spell it wrong, but it's another valid word, no alert for you. Why can't it just read my mind and AI what I mean??

They put no effort into including "contextcheck" which is what we really need.

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 11:03 AM, Funnybooks said:

vote with your wallet

I agree. CGC charges what the market will bear. Nobody is forcing you to buy their product/service so you can always just say "No!" if you don't like their price. Many savvy collectors have been doing precisely that.

2c

Edited by Hepcat

On 6/9/2024 at 12:23 PM, Hepcat said:

I agree. CGC charges what the market will bear. Nobody is forcing you to buy their product/service so you can always just say "No!" if you don't like their price. Many savvy collectors have been doing precisely that.

2c

Card grading triple in price in the last 5 years

On 6/4/2024 at 10:53 AM, Martian Manhunter said:

Florida minimum wage is going up every year (kindah surprising given who runs the state) and the COL of living there is going up too. But yeah, it feels like a lot. But let's be honest, do we really think CGC is generating such an enormous profit? I'm kindah thinking overhead, salaries, etc. eat 99% of their revenues.

Edited by the blob

On 6/5/2024 at 1:36 AM, Lightning55 said:

Looking for that semi-mythical DWIM subroutine, I see....