• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom binding: only one concernation...
1 1

16 posts in this topic

i read the text below on a thread, it was exactly what i tought since i got this idea and its actually my only concernation 

I was kind of thinking about how custom bound books relate to slabs earlier today. I wouldn't call them the slabs of yesterday but almost like the exact opposite of a slab. When you slab a book you make it unreadable to preserve it's condition. When you bind a book, you basically destroy it's collectibility in order to increase it's readability, typically by collecting it with other books.

"destroying the collectibity"

We have to admit that is enough right, the books as a floppy is the only way it hold value and be desired, so firstly it make it unresellable if a day you look to sell... and the second thing is that I feel a bit guilty because I have the feeling that in a way I'm destroying pieces of history... what is your opinion?

You encourage me or you want to throw me in the jail? 

Edited by BA773

We ain't talking about unique one-of-a-kind art pieces here - these are mass produced comic books, bind it if that is the way you would like to keep and display it (as potential resale value is absolutely unimportant for many of us who just want the book in our collection)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 6/11/2024 at 11:17 AM, BA773 said:

I feel a bit guilty because I have the feeling that in a way I'm destroying pieces of history... what is your opinion?

They're just comics.

The history books won't even notice.

its fine to take items you own and alter them as needed to help you enjoy them as you see fit as long as you don't hurt other people.  Especially mass produced items.

On 6/12/2024 at 4:18 AM, AJD said:

We can share a cell, though I'll fight you for the top bunk. I got these done and love them. I should do some more.

002.JPG.708ee29418c8935ee325d75bd6277ee4.JPG

006.thumb.JPG.90b6f80700ab5884093d575dd24dd655.JPG

005.JPG.1bd974d8b70fbfc97eeeacd6bf12815e.JPG

You need to get a full phantom run this way lol

I think I'm gonna put issues in bundle of 4 in a bag with customised pics who regroup the covers like this on each >>

ImageMerge_Collage_20240629_143547142.thumb.jpg.a3709f4d91e80ede9893726aa0cc5012.jpg

There is one other option if you want collected bound comics that you can display and easily grab to read; make em yourself! I make my own trade paperback collections for characters I enjoy since the publishers won't ever make such TPBs themselves officially. 

While they do include many books I already own it also allows me to include books I don't have and might otherwise never be able to afford and I get to curate the reading experience. This leaves the originals untouched in my collection (and I no longer need to handle the valuable ones that might be falling apart already if I want to read the stories)

Obviously this takes some level of skill to assemble but nothing that can't be learned fairly easily. I use a local print house to make these and there are many online that offer comic/TPB printing (thus far I have TPBs for Hourman, The Blazing Skull, and Dreadknight. I have one in the works for the golden age Destroyer)

Flip through:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLckU86BIUz/

20240629_111943.thumb.jpg.3d3b191b8cd759ec3e4a99a9421ad2ea.jpg

20240629_112015.thumb.jpg.947999e9562703b1cfd0288b0b3f6a83.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

For modern books, I think you should bind away!!! 

Opinions may vary. If it was a rare GA book or SA / BA key I would strongly discourage it.  But for fairly low cost moderns that you want to read and enjoy, binding seems pretty cool. 

There are folks here who collect with the intent to create bound volumes. I don't know if they do the binding or if they have it done, but if your interested PM me and I can connect you. 

On 6/29/2024 at 5:16 PM, Sauce Dog said:

There is one other option if you want collected bound comics that you can display and easily grab to read; make em yourself! I make my own trade paperback collections for characters I enjoy since the publishers won't ever make such TPBs themselves officially. 

While they do include many books I already own it also allows me to include books I don't have and might otherwise never be able to afford and I get to curate the reading experience. This leaves the originals untouched in my collection (and I no longer need to handle the valuable ones that might be falling apart already if I want to read the stories)

Obviously this takes some level of skill to assemble but nothing that can't be learned fairly easily. I use a local print house to make these and there are many online that offer comic/TPB printing (thus far I have TPBs for Hourman, The Blazing Skull, and Dreadknight. I have one in the works for the golden age Destroyer)

Flip through:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLckU86BIUz/

20240629_111943.thumb.jpg.3d3b191b8cd759ec3e4a99a9421ad2ea.jpg

20240629_112015.thumb.jpg.947999e9562703b1cfd0288b0b3f6a83.jpg

Amazing! Is it the Hourman run from the late 90s?

On 6/29/2024 at 4:09 PM, BA773 said:

Amazing! Is it the Hourman run from the late 90s?

Thanks - it's actually a collection of stories of the original Hourman that I curated which I feel best capture his exploits and I also often like to revisit (also makes it easier to share to new readers).

Contains stories from:

Three stories from early Golden Age Adventure Comics (including his 1st appearance), Secret Origins Vol 2 #16, DC Comics Presents #25, Solo #7 (The funny & amazing Mike Allred story), and the pages of his story from The Golden Age (1993) #1-4 series (only his pages - not the full four issues, and then linked together to form a standalone comic that can be read in full)

Edited by Sauce Dog