• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first backissues "expensive"...

75 posts in this topic

My first expensive back issue was Challengers Of The Unknown # 1 for $ 275 back in the early 90's.It was advertised as VG+ in the CBG by a real nice fellow named Michael Sagert.It would probably slab out around 5.0 to 6.0( if I still had it).I was pumping gas at a service station for minimum wage.I had to make payments for a couple of months.If you count the 70's,my first expensive books were F.F. # 8 & 11 from Howard Rogofsky in VF for $6.50 each.I think I was 12 and that was a WHOLE lotta $$$$$$$ back then.I also remember snagging a F.F. # 5 in NM condition at a 1975 comiccon for $ 20( wish I still had it).My pal Timmy Leaf picked up an Amazing Fantasy # 15 in VG for $30at that same show.Tim and I each had a paper route and we spent ALL our money on comics and Bruce Lee and Clint Eastwood movies.He moved away and I always wondered what happened to him.I quit collecting(first time) in 1977 when F.F. #1 hit the $1000 level. 893whatthe.gifI thought that was absolute insanity.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo( a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Probably the Silver Surfer 4 in VF/VF- I bought about a year ago. It was $100. I try and keep all my new purchases under that number.

Way below. poke2.gif

Not lately. I just bought a Cap 100 and a Conan 1 that were both about $100. crazy.gif

Probably the Silver Surfer 4 in VF/VF- I bought about a year ago. It was $100. I try and keep all my new purchases under that number.

Way below. poke2.gif

Not lately. I just bought a Cap 100 and a Conan 1 that were both about $100. crazy.gif

And your Conan 1 is worth how much more than you paid for it? poke2.gif

Way below. poke2.gif

And your Conan 1 is worth how much more than you paid for it? poke2.gif

shy.gif

I bought X-Men #1 in 1999 for $1100 and a Worlds Fair #1 in the same year for about the same. I now consider anything over $1500 expensive. This year I bought my most expensive books - X-Men 35, 9, 6, and 4 in CGC 9.4.

My first "expensive" comic book purchases were both over ten years ago, and both purchased out of CBG ads. One was a "1st print" copy of Teenage M.N. Turtles #1 that I paid $200 for. I never even took it out of the mylar until years later when it was time to sell: 3rd print. The other was a NM copy of Tales From The Crypt #33 that I bought for $310. Turned out to be an 8.5 with slight CT that I sold a few years ago for $150. Live and learn. I have.

But in happier times, when I was about 14 and saved up my money, I bought a VF+ copy of Daredevil #1 for $60. That was more expensive, and cooler than cool to me at the time. Sold it later in order to have a little cash to take out the chicks.

My first "expensive" comic book purchases were both over ten years ago, and both purchased out of CBG ads. One was a "1st print" copy of Teenage M.N. Turtles #1 that I paid $200 for. I never even took it out of the mylar until years later when it was time to sell: 3rd print. The other was a NM copy of Tales From The Crypt #33 that I bought for $310. Turned out to be an 8.5 with slight CT that I sold a few years ago for $150. Live and learn. I have.

But in happier times, when I was about 14 and saved up my money, I bought a VF+ copy of Daredevil #1 for $60. That was more expensive, and cooler than cool to me at the time. Sold it later in order to have a little cash to take out the chicks.

Didn't you buy an ASM 1 too?

foreheadslap.gif

Yeah, that was my first, and actually ONLY over $1,000 comic. But I would not say it was my first "expensive" comic. But that one in particular taught me more than a few things. Oy vey.

foreheadslap.gif

Yeah, that was my first, and actually ONLY over $1,000 comic. But I would not say it was my first "expensive" comic. But that one in particular taught me more than a few things. Oy vey.

Sorry to bring up painful memories. frown.gif

Amazing Spiderman 1 - 38, vf/nm on average, in 1987 for $3000. I purchased before the guide came out that year so I was actually paying a premium over guide! 893whatthe.gif

I just looked up the "mint" prices in Overstreet 17 and they had Spidey 1 at 900, 14 at 68, 21-30 for $20 each.

Those were the days.

After paying off the set over a 5 month period, I went on to buy 39 - 75 to finish what I thought was the most interesting part of the run.

I no longer have them (no regrets -- I read them and enjoyed immensely spreading them out in order on the floor for viewing) as I sold them for a tidy sum in the mid 90s and used the proceeds to fund the purchase of more unusual comics.

I've told the story before about the whopping $23 I spent about 1979 or 1980 with Howard Rogofsky to get this copy:

701442-glga76_med.jpg

I made sure to write Howard beforehand to inquire about the details of the condition, since each Rogofsky catalog carried the disclaimer "Tape is not considered a defect!" insane.gif

Then about 1997 or so I took the plunge in a big way into Golden Age collecting, and spent the until-then unthinkable sum of $160 for a Very Good Minus copy of All-Star Comics #38 (the "JSA Death Issue.") For the next 5 years or so, $160 was the most I would ever spend on a single comic.

My morals have slipped a bit since then...

to everyone

what were your first "expensive" backissues when you started being a more serious collector/fan?!

regards

X-men #1 raw f/vf $500 back in the early 90's from my lcs. Submitted it to CGC last year came back 5.5 Q (staples replaced) frown.gif Sold it earlier this year.

By unusual, you mean possibly, GA? grin.gif

I'm a 'tweener. Atomic Age yay.gif

I bought a VF/NM copy of ASM #129 and Hulk #181 in the late 80's for about $150 each....and two years later found the Hulk #181 was missing the stamp. foreheadslap.gif