• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 - is there some sort of trick to finding a nice looking copy?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Ive been trying to purchase a nice looking CGC 9.4 / 9.6 for 2 years now and every copy that I buy seems off.

I currently own a 9.0 OW/W and its a nice looking 9.0 structurally but the cover colors dont pop so Ive been trying to upgrade.

I bought a CGC 9.2 signed...but it had a stray bottom staple and it looked horrible in hand...looked better in the pics

I bought a CGC 9.2 unsigned...but the insides of the book drifted up and down very easily (loose staples)

I bought a CGC 9.4 - pretty book / nice vibrant colors...but the entire opening side of the book had horrific marvel chipping...looked like it was cut with a hacksaw.

Im now negotiating for a CGC 9.6, hoping the higher in grade I go, the better my chances are in getting a near flawless copy, structurally speaking.

Im not talking about spine stress lines or other handling defects...I just want a book free from manufacturing defects.

Do they even exist or is this book simply a victim of the way things were at Marvel at the time?

(shrug)

I think the trick ( not really a trick) is to buy a unslabbed raw copy. I know people like to chase grades but I’ve always been in the “buy the book not the grade” camp. I’ve seen plenty of non defect books from Marvel at this time so I’m not sure what you’re talking about there. This book was so collected at the time (I was there) by both collectors and non collectors that I wouldn’t think getting a high grade copy would be that difficult. Plus ,it’s one of the most submitted books of all time. 

Edited by auboy77

It honestly sounds like you’ve been buying 9.0’s-9.4’s and are hoping for 9.6’s-9.8’s which is fine, I’ve done my share of wishful thinking on 9.0’s and 9.2’s but you do sort of get what you pay for most of the time. 

If you’re asking if 9.6’s and 9.8’s exist both slabbed and raw of this book the answer is yes. Many many many times over. This isn’t some rare golden age book that comes to market once a decade. If you have the funds you can probably click and buy a dozen perfect copies today online. Just comes down to what you’re willing to pay. 

On 6/20/2024 at 4:54 PM, wiparker824 said:

It honestly sounds like you’ve been buying 9.0’s-9.4’s and are hoping for 9.6’s-9.8’s which is fine, I’ve done my share of wishful thinking on 9.0’s and 9.2’s but you do sort of get what you pay for most of the time. 

If you’re asking if 9.6’s and 9.8’s exist both slabbed and raw of this book the answer is yes. Many many many times over. This isn’t some rare golden age book that comes to market once a decade. If you have the funds you can probably click and buy a dozen perfect copies today online. Just comes down to what you’re willing to pay. 

I mean, of course, that would be awesome but thats not what im chasing.

For example, I LOVE almost everything about the CGC 9.0 that I do own.

It has a few spine ticks and a bend on the back of the book... at the top of the spine. 

I could more than live with those handling defects.

The problems I have with my 9.0 are the white/off white pages and the dull cover colors.

Seriously, If the cover popped with color, Id be satisfied.

As is, it takes away from the joy of just looking at it.

On 6/20/2024 at 8:52 PM, auboy77 said:

I think the trick ( not really a trick) is to buy a unslabbed raw copy. I know people like to chase grades but I’ve always been in the “buy the book not the grade” camp. I’ve seen plenty of non defect books from Marvel at this time so I’m not sure what you’re talking about there. This book was so collected at the time (I was there) by both collectors and non collectors that I wouldn’t think getting a high grade copy would be that difficult. Plus ,it’s one of the most submitted books of all time. 

Yup. It was on the LCS shelves for absolutely ages in the 80s, big print run.  I'm sure it was bought as multiples by many collectors / speculators at the time.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Also, you should note that that ASM 300 in particular has TONS of production-related issues. Because it was printed to heavily there are issues with rough cut edges (the hacksaw effect you mentioned), faded and/or splotchy cover inks (some looks almost faded orange with black back covers that seem speckled like there is bad color rub where there actually isn't), and bindery tears--though the latter likely has more to do with the issue being double-sized than the high print run.

In general, CGC won't penalize a book for he above 'defects', since they are production-related, so you find them even in 9.6's and 9.8's. I've had two raw copies in hand recently where one was a structurally beautiful NM/9.4 without any of the common production defects (but had enough other defects to probably keep it from higher) and the other was a technically 'cleaner' copy around the NM+ range but had really poor color saturation like I mentioned previously. And tbh even though I think the latter will grade higher, if I only cared about appearance I'd go for the 'lesser grade' copy 10 out of 10 times. All depends on what you want in a graded book.

Good luck!

On 6/25/2024 at 1:41 AM, Nschenks said:

Also, you should note that that ASM 300 in particular has TONS of production-related issues. Because it was printed to heavily there are issues with rough cut edges (the hacksaw effect you mentioned), faded and/or splotchy cover inks (some looks almost faded orange with black back covers that seem speckled like there is bad color rub where there actually isn't), and bindery tears--though the latter likely has more to do with the issue being double-sized than the high print run.

In general, CGC won't penalize a book for he above 'defects', since they are production-related, so you find them even in 9.6's and 9.8's. I've had two raw copies in hand recently where one was a structurally beautiful NM/9.4 without any of the common production defects (but had enough other defects to probably keep it from higher) and the other was a technically 'cleaner' copy around the NM+ range but had really poor color saturation like I mentioned previously. And tbh even though I think the latter will grade higher, if I only cared about appearance I'd go for the 'lesser grade' copy 10 out of 10 times. All depends on what you want in a graded book.

Good luck!

I dont agree with CGCs stance on overlooking production related defects.

The 9.0 that I own has the "faded cover ink" issue that you mention and it drives me nuts. 

I didnt buy that book though, it came from my older brothers collection that he gifted me before he moved out and got married. 

The other day I bought, what I think, is a near perfect CGC 9.6.

The seller was happy to answer all my questions.

I paid too much but I dont mind if its what Im looking for.

The cover has a bit of an overhang but not too bad, the edges and corners look sharp, its perfectly centered and the cover color looks nice.

Its a 9.6 with grader notes too, which is great: "light spine stress lines"

Of course, all that could change when I get it in hand and my OCD takes over.

:ohnoez: