• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed pulps?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2024 at 1:23 PM, Action252Kid said:

I own an All Story pulp (first Tarzan) which was signed by Edgar Rice Burroughs.  It belonged to Forrest Ackerman.  There is an article online that mentions Burroughs having signed two October 1912 All Storys and one other pulp:

“Edgar Rice Burroughs literally signed hundreds of books during his lifetime, but apparently only signed three pulp magazines that are known. For Forrest Ackerman he signed a copy of the October 1912 issue of All-Story with ‘Tarzan of the Apes.’ That magazine was auctioned off for something in the 40-50K range. For Vernell Coriell he also signed another October 1912 issue of All-Story — but also signed the February 1916 issue of All Around Magazine which contained his ‘Beyond Thirty.’ That All Around issue is easily the rarest pulp to ever include a Burroughs story.

“In the collected edition of the first twelve issues of The Burroughs Bulletin — in an article titled ‘A Visit to Tarzana’ — Vern Coriell writes: ‘. . . I had brought along some choice items from my collection which included the Oct. 1912 All Story magazine and Feb. 1916 All Around magazine. . . . I asked him if he would mind signing my copies of All-Story and All Around. . . . he said “Mr. Coriell, these are my last signatures, I shall never sign another.” 

“First of course, we only have Vern Coriell’s statement that ERB said it would be his last autograph, but ERB’s family — including his two sons — were present at the signing, and no one challenged Coriell’s statement which first saw print in 1956."

Burroughs2.png

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 3.10.42 PM.png

LUCKY!!!!!!  Signed by E.R.B. and F.J.A.  I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  AMAZING!!!!

On 6/23/2024 at 10:42 AM, dickymoe74 said:

I was going through some Pulps to send to CGC for grading a found this Captain Future issue #1, I thought I would send in for grading.  In looking through the pages I noticed this note next to the title page talking about the Capt Future stories Edmond Hamilton wrote with a signature that looks like it may be from Edmond Hamilton himself?  "See attached pictures below."

When I purchased the Pulp, the seller never mentioned anything of this inside note or the pulp being signed.....  I purchased the Pulp from a book store on Ebay.

Now I'm not sure what to do, CGC will down grade the pulp with this card on the page and If the signature is real?  Then this may have been the authors personal copy?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Capt Future Pic1.jpg

Capt Futrure Pic 2.jpg

Capt Future Pic 3.jpg

Nice find! I wouldn’t slab it. CGC will have no idea what to do with it. 

On 6/23/2024 at 1:42 PM, dickymoe74 said:

I was going through some Pulps to send to CGC for grading a found this Captain Future issue #1, I thought I would send in for grading.  In looking through the pages I noticed this note next to the title page talking about the Capt Future stories Edmond Hamilton wrote with a signature that looks like it may be from Edmond Hamilton himself?  "See attached pictures below."

When I purchased the Pulp, the seller never mentioned anything of this inside note or the pulp being signed.....  I purchased the Pulp from a book store on Ebay.

Now I'm not sure what to do, CGC will down grade the pulp with this card on the page and If the signature is real?  Then this may have been the authors personal copy?

Capt Future Pic1.jpg

Capt Futrure Pic 2.jpg

Capt Future Pic 3.jpg

That's amazing... not just the signature, but the lovely little statement with it which is quite unique. Captures a really profound truth about the pulps and how views on them have changed over time.

Agree with Robot Man re CGC, and whatever their stance it would be kind of a shame to slab it.

On 6/23/2024 at 1:42 PM, dickymoe74 said:

Capt Future Pic1.jpg

Capt Futrure Pic 2.jpg

Capt Future Pic 3.jpg

Depends on your intention. With sig verification now available, that may be a bonus, however, if the note is a sticker that is affixed to the page, the final grade will suffer. I would imagine, like Jon said, the note would be viewed as a plus, as long as it can be accessed. It's ultimately your call, but you do now have 3 votes to leave it raw. Cool as all get out ... the cat's pajamas :cloud9: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I'd assume there's plenty of nice copies of Captain Future floating around (though, that one's pretty sweet). That one might be more valuable outside of a slab where somebody can see Hamilton's writing (and I think a big sticky on an ad page like that doesn't decrease it's attractiveness one little bit even if it might affect the technical grade). 

I don't know if I'd guess file copy here, maybe a working copy from when they put the reprint collection out?  I know there's a proof from that on eBay.  SF fandom would probably know for sure.

Edited by Darwination

On 6/24/2024 at 5:38 PM, Robot Man said:

Not a pulp but a pulp artist for sure.

mad59.jpg

He has such neat handwriting. I have a volume of his collected work, the green one, and it's signed and inscribed inside. It is so neat and precise, I at first thought it was typeset and printed in it. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu