• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 Cowabunga Comics Daniel Dahl metal variant covers

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone know an approximate value for these two metal variants of Batman 1 ?

I was lucky enough to get my hands on them as a result of a trade, but they are so rare that there's almost no information on the internet about them.   The following links are about the only thing I could find.   

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic/6847385/batman-1?variant=7053491

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic/6847385/batman-1?variant=3769777

They only made 25 of the black & white cover and 50 of the color cover.   What is unique about them is that they are individually numbered.  Incredibly, I've got the number "2" copy of each.  The covers appear to be a homage to the legendary Amazing Spider-Man 300 cover.

Since these variants will rarely be seen, I'm also posting some images of the insides and back covers of these comic book.   The books are identical to Batman 1 in every way, except that the metal cover was carefully glued to the front cover.  I am not a big fan of manufactured rarity, but I must admit these are beatiful covers and they are in mint condition.

image.thumb.jpeg.a986edb9fc7ebf9890f191a374e9bc20.jpeg

Batman1metalcolorfrontcover.jpeg.3fdb1a0ec8bb8913c895bc2a6a72c107.jpeg

Batman1metalpage1a.thumb.jpeg.95dbb635693dc5f6b61fb527ea36e8cb.jpeg

Batman1metalbackcover.thumb.jpeg.2adf65cd9c422351b3ca72e9347d87dd.jpegBatman1metalindicia.thumb.jpeg.9d0f47a637c6077349ee847e0d0bb829.jpeg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

It looks like Cowabunga Comics posted about these on Facebook in December of 2021.  I assume they made the post to put these "variants" for sale.
https://www.facebook.com/cowabungatime/photos/a.484874642073532/1026580594569598/?type=3

Didn't this comic come out in 2016?  While the quality does look pretty incredible, my concern with the book is that it may just be a random shop manufacturing their own metal cover 5 years after release, then slapping it on their overstock of Batman (Vol 3) #1.  If this wasn't officially licensed by DC, then the value drops significantly for me.  Given the lack of information online, I'm guessing DC wasn't involved.

Now, if this book was officially licensed, then Batman fans are likely to go nuts for it.  Then again, I'm sure some Batman fans would be interested regardless.

It's probably worth reaching out to Cowabunga Comics and/or Daniel Dahl (the cover artist) to see if they can get you more information as to the origins of this book.

Edited by masterlogan2000

On 6/21/2024 at 2:32 PM, masterlogan2000 said:

It looks like Cowabunga Comics posted about these on Facebook in December of 2021.  I assume they made the post to put these "variants" for sale.
https://www.facebook.com/cowabungatime/photos/a.484874642073532/1026580594569598/?type=3

Didn't this comic come out in 2016?  While the quality does look pretty incredible, my concern with the book is that it may just be a random shop manufacturing their own metal cover 5 years after release, then slapping it on their overstock of Batman (Vol 3) #1.  If this wasn't officially licensed by DC, then the value drops significantly for me.  Given the lack of information online, I'm guessing DC wasn't involved.

Now, if this book was officially licensed, then Batman fans are likely to go nuts for it.  Then again, I'm sure some Batman fans would be interested regardless.

It's probably worth reaching out to Cowabunga Comics and/or Daniel Dahl (the cover artist) to see if they can get you more information as to the origins of this book.

Good suggestions... thanks!

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2024 at 11:30 PM, Tnexus said:

I'd say with about 95% certainty these are bootleg copies from Cowabunga. I don't think DC has ever done that low of a print run nor do they do metal covers to my knowledge.

These metal covers remind me of the Neal Adams metal covers that were made by Continuity Comics in 2018 and glued on top of one of the Batman 50 variants.   I bought my Batman 50 Neal Adams metal cover directly from the store for $100.  I remember receiving it and then thinking "Hey... this is pretty lame... all they did was make a metal cover, got it signed by Neal and glued it to a comic book.... this isn't really a variant!"    And now it looks like the lowest listing of that Batman 50 metail cover on ebay is $475 (of course, I realize it might not sell for that much).   I see that they also made a metal cover for Detective 1000 (right now there are two of them for sale on ebay;  one at $1300 and the other for $2000 along with a whole bunch of other comic books).

Following is the Batman 50 metal cover listing on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154971574204?itmmeta=01J0ZXDFEVQRTZPGGRYEPDTA4K&hash=item2415068fbc:g:klsAAOSwdpZibH3k&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwF9EXWx7fa5XpsKVKoxmYMtPI6XDHKXiIJREr%2Fjjb0LtK3bupPT62IYcz2ToF9XNi%2B0CaraLH94gXyaU3oHu2aNUqzszT2vWcA2FC9xPcdYdVceRqGv6JGKgaArmSddVNzJ%2F0rORnhAwYP58dq0WEqQvVsYpGFLHgt6LJwJiviKgEAL1TakoGevu81SijjRZzeWKnbi1RV%2BMcXNBfSNHVYkRKSbF1Q6s5co68pZyoAEANWGG7XbqwNBxPXViEJGTsA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8r3tf2HZA

Edited by Cpt Kirk

Posted (edited)

Update:  Kyle Willis (owner of Cowabunga Comics near Jacksonville Florida) was kind enough to tell me the story of these two metal covers.   He said he bought the original art that you see on the cover from the artist Daniel Dahl and then got Dahl's permission to create these two metal covers (as stated on the covers, there were 25 of the silver and 50 of the color covers).   He then had them carefully glued to copies of Batman 1 (3rd series).   He said that he considered them to be "bootleg" covers because he had this all done on his own and just placed the covers on after-market comic books.   He thinks this particular piece of Daniel Dahl art has never appeared in or on any comic book.  Thus it can only be found on these metal covers.   He said he thinks that the original price of this metal covers was in the neighborhood of $80 each.   He also said that he stopped making this type of thing because of some controversy associated with similar products that occurred not too long ago.

p.s.  I realize at this point that it would not be correct to call these "variant covers". 

So my original question still stands... has anyone seen any sales data on these books?   I don't plan to sell these two books... I'm just curious to know the value.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 6/22/2024 at 9:57 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

Update:  Kyle Willis (owner of Cowabunga Comics near Jacksonville Florida) was kind enough to tell me the story of these two metal covers.   He said he bought the original art that you see on the cover from the artist Daniel Dahl and then got Dahl's permission to create these two metal covers (as stated on the covers, there were 25 of the silver and 50 of the color covers).   He then had them carefully glued to copies of Batman 1 (3rd series).   He said that he considered them to be "bootleg" covers because he had this all done on his own and just placed the covers on after-market comic books.   He thinks this particular piece of Daniel Dahl art has never appeared in or on any comic book.  Thus it can only be found on these metal covers.   He said he thinks that the original price of this metal covers was in the neighborhood of $80 each.   He also said that he stopped making this type of thing because of some controversy associated with similar products that occurred not too long ago.

p.s.  I realize at this point that it would not be correct to call these "variant covers". 

So my original question still stands... has anyone seen any sales data on these books?   I don't plan to sell these two books... I'm just curious to know the value.

Seeing how they're bootlegs you won't be able to find any official prices for them as they can't be listed on ebay, etc...

I wouldn't call these bootlegs... but I definitely wouldn't call them variants.

In this particular case, we have a legitimate Batman (Vol 3) #1 with a metal plate glued over the cover.  Cowabunga Comics purchased the original art and was given permission to create the metal plates by the artist.  There is nothing illegal about selling the book as modified.

However, if a seller represents this as a "variant" cover, that implies that it was officially licensed by the rights holder (DC).  To do so would range from dishonest at best to fraudulent at worst (by purposefully misrepresenting the item for profit).

People are free to form their own opinions on these types of items and their creators.  Personally, I'm indifferent to them and would be unlikely to add anything like them to my personal collection.

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2024 at 2:35 PM, masterlogan2000 said:

I wouldn't call these bootlegs... but I definitely wouldn't call them variants.

In this particular case, we have a legitimate Batman (Vol 3) #1 with a metal plate glued over the cover.  Cowabunga Comics purchased the original art and was given permission to create the metal plates by the artist.  There is nothing illegal about selling the book as modified.

However, if a seller represents this as a "variant" cover, that implies that it was officially licensed by the rights holder (DC).  To do so would range from dishonest at best to fraudulent at worst (by purposefully misrepresenting the item for profit).

People are free to form their own opinions on these types of items and their creators.  Personally, I'm indifferent to them and would be unlikely to add anything like them to my personal collection.

I really appreciate the insight. I'm now understanding that what we have here is a piece of original art that has been printed onto a thin piece of metal and glued to a comic book.   Thanks!

But my question still stands...  has anyone heard of a sales price (other than the original sales price that Willis told me about)?

A good friend of mine who had a set was offered $2K for both versions of the plate.   And another friend of mine seemed willing to pay $1K for both of the metal plates.   Me.... I'm not a dealer and I'm clueless as to what value should assigned to them for insurance purposes.   I don't think I would do it, but I would be tempted to list them on ebay with a ridiculous price (say $5K) and then see what offers might be presented.   I don't want to do that though, because I really have no intention to sell so it seems disingenuous to list them.  Thoughts?

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 6/27/2024 at 4:19 AM, Second Blight said:

You'd be a fool not to sell at $1k. These are fake covers, not official.

Better yet, a person might be a fool to buy them at $1K.   In my case, I won't be selling them.

100% not licensed. 
As for value-  Nothing is stopping them from printing more plates, digging up some back issues, and pushing them into the market on the DL if they want to.  OR anyone else for that matter.  Unless you wish to keep them as a collectible oddity, I'd say sell them.  
I also don't believe (and have voiced my objection) that they should have been listed in the CLZ database. The same can be said for Neal Adam's Metal covers tbh.