• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Bumped Up a Tier
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I received an email regarding my submission of Amazing Spider-Man 300 Newsstand Edition. I originally submitted it to the high value tier with a fee of $85 USD, but CGC bumped it to Unlimited Value with an additional charge of $123.50 USD. The customer service representative said this was based on the grade the book received. That's a total of $208.50. It's still in the grading/encapsulation stage, so I haven't seen the grade yet. If CGC does indeed charge 4% of fmv, then that means they deemed it worth roughly $5,200. I havent found any pricing guide that has a fmv of a 9.8 that low, but also none with a 9.6 remotely that close. (I'm not sure where CGC gets their fmv data)  Do you guys think I may have gotten that elusive and prized 9.8? Am I overlooking anything? I'm just looking for some objective opinions/comments before I go jumping up and down for joy. Thanks, and any guidance is much appreciated. (Unfortunately, I have no photos to share)

From experience, none of their pricing formulas for "bump-ups" make any sense, so it's impossible to reverse engineer how they get the figure. 

And if it seems mathematically too low, no one wants to ask and find out that they made a mistake - it was wrong so they'll correct it and charge even more. They aren't good at math, but good at charging more.

If it’s not a 9.8 they’ve got some explaining to do… a 9.6 newsstand has never sold for over 5k according to GPA data. Record was in April of 2021 for $4,750. GPA doesn’t have any recent 9.8 newsstand sales, the last one to sell sold in December for $9,750, but most books (including the non-newsstand version of 300) have dropped quite a bit since then, so maybe they’re doing some extrapolating.