• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Sept 12-15
1 1

25 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2024 at 2:14 PM, gumbydarnit said:

Oh man, I just saw this beauty posted for September’s Signature Auction. If this is a sign of things to come you better buckle up!

IMG_0532.jpeg.2eec5c6b8c18273816d9a4b3f4dcaf68.jpeg

The high res scan hasn’t posted yet but man did that image knock my socks off as a kid!

Oh wow. Imagine the bidding war for this. 

On 6/25/2024 at 4:57 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

OMG!!!

image.jpeg.f4ef0c61c790863f48b59908534349c7.jpeg

Yeah, I saw that - straight out of my childhood. If I was a Crypto Bro, I'd be throwing it all on this cover for sure.

On 6/26/2024 at 7:20 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Yeah, I saw that - straight out of my childhood. If I was a Crypto Bro, I'd be throwing it all on this cover for sure.

With what miller covers are going for these days, 250+? Thoughts?

On 6/27/2024 at 9:00 AM, batman_fan said:

If the cover got Donnellized with logo, etc. it would be the over $250k for sure :insane:

I guess that would help the presentation but somehow I don't think it will be an issue. ;)   I could see 200k and I could see 400k.    Part of me thinks the latter.    I can imagine a buyer preferring to own this instead of one of the lesser DD covers that have been 300k ish of late.    

Edited by Bronty

On 6/27/2024 at 7:05 AM, Bronty said:

I guess that would help the presentation but somehow I don't think it will be an issue. ;)   I could see 200k and I could see 400k.    Part of me thinks the latter.    I can imagine a buyer preferring to own this instead of one of the lesser DD covers that have been 300k ish of late.    

Given recent sales of classic covers, only price that would surprise me would be one below $150k.

On 6/27/2024 at 9:10 AM, batman_fan said:

Given recent sales of classic covers, only price that would surprise me would be one below $150k.

With covers like ASM #379 going for $126K and Wolverine #7 going for $144K, I agree, below $150K would be surprising.

That said, I'm not as optimistic as @Bronty. I think the hard-core Miller collectors strongly prefer covers from issues/runs/titles where he had significant, if not total, control over the artistic direction/creative process as opposed to some of the early Marvel covers where he was just filling in. That said, this is a memorable cover and there's the Punisher before the character got overused so something in the $200Ks wouldn't surprise me, but, I'd be somewhat surprised if it ended with a "3" handle and very surprised if it hit a "4" handle. But, hey, you never know...

On 6/27/2024 at 9:24 AM, delekkerste said:

With covers like ASM #379 going for $126K and Wolverine #7 going for $144K, I agree, below $150K would be surprising.

That said, I'm not as optimistic as @Bronty. I think the hard-core Miller collectors strongly prefer covers from issues/runs/titles where he had significant, if not total, control over the artistic direction/creative process as opposed to some of the early Marvel covers where he was just filling in. That said, this is a memorable cover and there's the Punisher before the character got overused so something in the $200Ks wouldn't surprise me, but, I'd be somewhat surprised if it ended with a "3" handle and very surprised if it hit a "4" handle. But, hey, you never know...

That's fair, and might be a better bet.    I just have this feeling.   

Sometimes that feeling is a spot on hunch, like Black Cat 50, and sometimes its intestinal gas.

On 6/25/2024 at 2:14 PM, gumbydarnit said:

Oh man, I just saw this beauty posted for September’s Signature Auction. If this is a sign of things to come you better buckle up!

IMG_0532.jpeg.2eec5c6b8c18273816d9a4b3f4dcaf68.jpeg

The high res scan hasn’t posted yet but man did that image knock my socks off as a kid!

I remember reading this arc and this great panel, what a rush. The follow up issue #112, with one of my favourite covers, from perhaps the best era in comics. Byrne Avengers, X-Men issues, doesn’t get much better than that. 

On 6/27/2024 at 9:24 AM, delekkerste said:

The ASM 379 cover price was a surprise, but it was part of the very popular Maximum Carnage crossover storyline and I believe a well-known collector is trying to assemble all of the covers, much as he was/is well known for trying to put together ASM 328.  Hence, I suspect a lot of punishment bids were included in the final price.  Additionally, you don't see too many covers with Spidey, Carnage, Venom, Demogoblin and others together.

Wolverine #7 cover was a significant increase from its $9.5K sale in 2012.  I was thinking $90K.

This Miller Cap cover is interesting for a few reasons...early Punisher, classic cover image IMHO, yet to me it is and isn't Miller and I can't quite put my finger on the reason.  I like McLeod inks, but perhaps its not the best fit for Miller?  Similar to the MK12 cover that sold on CC for $47K this week...I like the image, but I think Milgrom's inks threw it off for me.

Regarding valuation, folks are throwing out some big guestimates here and I'm not sure if it will crack $200K, but I'm going to enjoy watching the ride.

On 6/27/2024 at 1:44 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

The ASM 379 cover price was a surprise, but it was part of the very popular Maximum Carnage crossover storyline and I believe a well-known collector is trying to assemble all of the covers, much as he was/is well known for trying to put together ASM 328.  Hence, I suspect a lot of punishment bids were included in the final price.  Additionally, you don't see too many covers with Spidey, Carnage, Venom, Demogoblin and others together.

Wolverine #7 cover was a significant increase from its $9.5K sale in 2012.  I was thinking $90K.

This Miller Cap cover is interesting for a few reasons...early Punisher, classic cover image IMHO, yet to me it is and isn't Miller and I can't quite put my finger on the reason.  I like McLeod inks, but perhaps its not the best fit for Miller?  Similar to the MK12 cover that sold on CC for $47K this week...I like the image, but I think Milgrom's inks threw it off for me.

Regarding valuation, folks are throwing out some big guestimates here and I'm not sure if it will crack $200K, but I'm going to enjoy watching the ride.

Oh man.   You mean to say he's made another quest well known to the public?   He must enjoy slamming car doors on his nutz.

On 6/27/2024 at 1:44 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yoram, I didn’t bid on the ASM 379 cover. Could have purchased it a long time ago for a lot less.